will the S2 be getting Jelly bean?General

Last Updated: 2013-04-09 20:01:12
  1. vettegofast

vettegofast Well-Known Member

it says i have no updates. However, i thought jelly bean was going to come out for us.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. TnIan

TnIan Well-Known Member

There is a Cyanogenmod build of Jelly Bean, if you're inclined to do the root & flash bit.
  3. Ikenstein

Ikenstein Well-Known Member

An official release takes several months. If you want the latest update right now, you will have to root (which has risks!). Otherwise, you must wait until the carrier decides to release the update officially.
  4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

5. vettegofast

vettegofast Well-Known Member

i see. i rooted and flashed my ace. gonna have to wait on the S2, still under warranty. :-(
  6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Rooting the S2 couldn't have been easier, so if you want JB, I wouldn't wait for AT&T. As for the warranty, I haven't had any problems with AT&T and rooted phones as long as it wasn't the flashing that borked it.

I had a Captivate that stopped any kind of haptic feedback while under warranty. It was rooted and running ICS with the Glitch Kernel. I didn't bother flashing it back to stock when I took it in to the service center. The rep's only comment when he turned on the phone was "cool" and gave me a refurb replacement.

Of course you have to stay within your comfort level, but if you want to go that route I can give you a hand.
  7. WhatMyEye

WhatMyEye Member

get aokp ithas jb rom works excellent
    use triangle away to clear the data so it wont shos u flashed :D
    u can root n use an app on google store to unlock+give code
  8. gcobb

gcobb Well-Known Member

I went with Resurrection Remix after rooting and installing CWM. I have no need for an S3 right now. This is incredible.
  9. redhawk79

redhawk79 Member

I rooted mine a few weeks after getting it. I needed to send it in for a warranty claim because the charging port got messed up and It was super simple to flash back to stock and they serviced it with no fuss whatsoever. I've been enjoying JB for a while now. I always look for a great tweaked stock experience
  10. robhs

robhs Well-Known Member

11. Jayposer2000

Jayposer2000 Member

It was released through Rogers in Canada a couple weeks back... I have heard that the release in the UK started a week ago.
  12. dragula2012

dragula2012 Well-Known Member

tired of wating the jb update, one day decided to flash a custom rom , so I chose supernexus jb. it is quite good. very stable. build 4 is coming up soon.:smokingsomb:
  13. robhs

robhs Well-Known Member

The T-Mobile GS2 is getting Jellybean. Where is AT&T with this?
  14. RajCaj

RajCaj Well-Known Member

AT&T has released Jelly Bean for the Skyrocket version of the SII, but not the original Exynos 4" screen variant.

As a matter of fact, it now appears as if all variants of the SII, from all carriers, have updated to Jelly Bean, except for the i777 version of the SII from AT&T.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'm not an expert in mobile computing hardware & Android software development, but it seems as if the i777 is close enough to all the other variants that it shouldn't be a technology issue.

Is it marketing related?
  15. LoafPincher

LoafPincher Well-Known Member

I would blame AT&T at this point. The i777 could easily be upgraded to JB since it is 99% similar to the i9100/International GS2 variant. The work is basically done. All it takes is a few modifications to make it fully compatible with the i777. Hell, the developers at the XDA forums did it in a day.
  16. robhs

robhs Well-Known Member

I wonder if they are waiting until after the release of the GS4. Maybe they (AT&T) feels that an upgrade to the GS2 would hurt GS4 sales.
  17. RajCaj

RajCaj Well-Known Member

Very possible, considering most samsung users rolling off contracts likely have S2s.

To be honest, I would be perfectly content waiting to see what the Nexus line in the Fall, or the S5 the following spring, would look like if I had access to some of the improvements in JB (especially Google Now)

BUT if that's the case, why bother with updating the Skyrockets? They released within months after the i777 release, and are likely also due for an upgrade this year.
  18. FlyingPigL

FlyingPigL Well-Known Member

Since my personal S2 was rooted and has SuperNexus, I don't feel so anxious to upgrade to the S4. I'm going to wait for the Note 3 or the X phone to decide. On the work front, I'm really enjoying the S3 - unrooted, exactly as is out of the box. Disabled some of the AT&T apps, and enjoying the phone as is. Planning to never upgrade or muck around with any AT&T "improvement" (ie crapware) like the 4.0.4 we had to suffer through for the S2.