1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Will the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch Get the Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) Update ?General

Will Galaxy Epic 4g Touch Get Ice Cream Sandwich

1. Yes

67 vote(s)
    95.7%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Slice28

Slice28 Well-Known Member

Whats your thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

I would presume so, I think Samsung have officially announced they SGS2 range will get it. You'll just have to wait for Sprint to tweak it and add their bloatware to it.
    Slice28 likes this.
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I also am confident that we will get ICS. Some claim that Samsung doesn't support their devices, but my friends original epic 4g did eventually get gingerbread. Will we get it within a month of the galaxy nexus release? I highly doubt it, unless you root. But I think we will eventually get it.
  4. jmejiaa

jmejiaa Member

I'm sure they will, the question is when..
  5. Slice28

if i had to guess id say two or three months after the release of the nexus prime.. whats your thoughts
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That seems a little optimistic to me. I give it at least six months, probably a summer release. At least officially. Much sooner with root.
  7. MachineGunnWilly

MachineGunnWilly Well-Known Member

8. WaSTeLaNd

WaSTeLaNd Well-Known Member

No way I say by febuary if not january
  9. gala

gala Member

We our set to get ics in Q1 samsung has said that it will be no later than that and i have talked to a friend at sprints corpate level tech division and they said it is getting their tweaks now so we should have it by the end of february or around that time
  10. zmarko

zmarko Active Member

*Knocks on wood* ;)
  11. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

This is Samsung we are talking about here. I'm not getting my hopes up. Fortunately I still have my EVO 3D and I know HTC will get that joint out ASAP. If Samsung does actually get it together I win either way.
  12. heavychevy

As if Samsung hasn't announced release dates before and not met them.

However Samsung has shown some pretty good support for the gs2 so far so that is encouraging, but not enough to count on it coming out on time.
    HiphopAndroid likes this.
  13. compnetbobby

compnetbobby Member

how would anyone's thoughts actually affect the phone getting ICS?
  14. JaydeEvo

JaydeEvo Well-Known Member

I assume that it will since Sprint has announced that it will be getting the Galaxy Nexus. It would just have to add Samsung/Sprint bloatware to that version of ICS for it to be complete.
  15. MerpsMom

MerpsMom Well-Known Member

I guess I'm confused....or unknowledgable...probably both. :)

Can't you delete the Sprint "bloatware" from the Epic, which you definitely could not do with the EVO?

And why will ICS make a significant difference to me? Okay, that's selfish and tips you I'm not into all the weeds like a lot of the true gurus here. I love this phone and just want to know what I'd be getting with ICS.

Thanx for being patient.

MM
  16. JaydeEvo

JaydeEvo Well-Known Member

Bloatware can't be deleted unless you root your device. Rooting is pretty much unlocking the device to do things it wasn't programmed to do. I had my Evo (hence my name) and now my Galaxy S2. Bloatware stinks and its useless but it will be added to updates, however, it probably won't be any different than the bloatware that is already on any device prior to updates.

As far as what is in ICS? A few cool features and a few bits and pieces which can be viewed on this CNET article: Ice Cream Sandwich adds tons of new features | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews
  17. Netcat

Netcat Well-Known Member

When Samsung put out the list, they stated that the Galaxy S2 would get the update. You should know that the Sprint version is called the Galaxy S2, Epic 4G Touch. It is a CDMA type phone. It is not the Galaxy S2. The Galaxy S2 without the "Epic 4G Touch" is not the same phone and is probably the GSM version. And history shows that the CDMA version of any phone always get the updates last. This info had been out for a while.
  18. Slice28

i have yet to hear any official confirmation of the galaxy s2 epic touch getting ICS.. still waiting
  19. 2ndaccord

2ndaccord Well-Known Member

I've seen YouTube videos of the leaked ice care sandwich builds for the gs2 and from what I've seen its a very highly customized version of ics. It looks almost identical to what the phone looks likes now with touchwiz covering up most of ice cream sandwich.
  20. HiphopAndroid

HiphopAndroid Member

I have a Asus Transformer Prime tablet running stock ICS. also my ep4gt running touchwiz 4 and the official version of Ice Cream Sandwich is so smooth and such a clean ui. Although I like touchwiz 4 I would definately like a stock google ICS on my ep4gt. Not a customized ICS mixed with touchwiz.
  21. kevinschult

kevinschult New Member

I just talked to a Sprint tech a few days ago and they are thinking August.
  22. ladyc0524

ladyc0524 Well-Known Member

I'll just get the Galaxy Nexus and sell my Epic Touch by then..
  23. Netcat

Netcat Well-Known Member

Oh sure!
  24. heavychevy

You guys have to know that there is no way we will get stock ics.