1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Will the Sprint Nexus 5 work on any carrier in the US?General

1. xcmiler

xcmiler Member

Hi! I have an upgrade available and am considering buying the Nexus 5 from Sprint. We might switch to T-Mobile and so I was wondering if the phone would work on that network without having to unlock it?

I read that the device works on AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint but I'm not sure if there are any restrictions placed on it by the carriers since I couldn't find anything specific on Sprint's website.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

It will work on any but Verizon.

However, if you're switching soon it may be best to get it straight from google. Its cheaper than sprints off contract price and you wont have to deal with an ETF if you go contract
  3. xcmiler

xcmiler Member

Awesome! Okay, that makes sense. Thank you!
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  4. xcmiler

xcmiler Member

One more questions about the phones that are sold as "Unlocked" on websites like Swappa, are they really unlocked? Or do they say that because the nexus works on any carrier in the US except Verizon?
  5. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

No such thing as an unlocked nexus 5 (unless were talking about root;) ). When they say unlocked it just means its not tied to a carrier :)
  6. xcmiler

xcmiler Member

ohhh, that makes sense. Thank you!
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  7. teardropcity

teardropcity Member

I bought my Nexus 5 from the Sprint store, and am using it with my Metro PCS (owned by T-Mobile and uses their GSM network)sim. I would have bought it at the T-Mobile store, but the line was long. There was no one at the Sprint store, so it was much quicker of a transaction.