Will the VZW Droid be quickly outdated?

Last Updated:

1. Bill

Bill Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

With the Droid using the same processing power as the now 6 mo. old iPhone and with what appears many other android devices soon to be release with a much faster processor it seems to me that the Droid could quickly become out dated.

If any of these rumored devices (Acer/Sony Ericsson) come out yet this year with the faster processor it could quickly take the wind out of the Droid.

What do you guys think?

-Bill

Advertisement
  2. angusn

angusn Active Member

Which would you rather have, a P4 3.2ghz or a Core2Quad 2.66ghz? clock speed isn't everything. That being said, any leading edge released product is obsolete the instant it hits your hands if you only care about promised specs of unreleased devices. Buy wha t you can when it's fast enough for you.

3. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

I do not worry about phones being outdated too. The reason being I typically will only do a 1 year contract. With that being said the droid will have I'm sure it's software updates, and if it gets to the point where the phone has been maxed out, well look for the Droid 2 to resolve that. The point I guess is I have been in the cell phone industry for over 8 years now. Phones are not made to be kept for 2 years or more anymore. The idea is technology keeps rapidly advancing and you will want the next best eye candy that comes out. I would recommend doing only 1 year contracts then you can stay in the steady flow of latest and greatest.

4. greg72

greg72 Well-Known Member

That's why I'm happy my main line on my account gets upgraded every year. Great being a VZW VIP.

5. Bill

Bill Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Good point, do you know what the difference is of a two to one year contract with the Droid on VZW?

Keep in mind I am only talking hardware of the phone here. When you are trying to put out a product that will compete with the leader you should release something that is greater than that leader and not the similar specs as the leader did 6 months ago. Unless you can do more with less but I have not seen any evidence of this other than maybe multi-tasking which I guess is a big deal.

-Bill

6. bigdroid

Absolutely! Takes away the any outdated worries, actually my rep allows me to update every 11 months. So I really enjoy it.;)

7. bigdroid

I heard the 1 year price is $269.99

8. cybercruiser

cybercruiser Well-Known Member

Phone with 2 year contract is $199(after rebate), how much is it with a 1 year contract??

9. cybercruiser

hmmmm, $70 more, but don't need extended warranty, since it comes with one year warranty and would probably upgrade at that point anyway. hmmm......

10. bigdroid

I heard that it was $269.99 with 1 year

11. cybercruiser

I kind of like that idea, as stated, the way technology changes so fast now, you know 1 year from now there will probably be some great choices. Take out the extended warranty, about $25/year, that makes the difference only $50. I think I could live with that....

12. brandonhd

brandonhd Member

I called BestBuy today, asked about a one year contract. The guy said that BB doesn't do one year, just two year or straight out. Anybody know any different or was the guy i talked to d.a. I know VZW does the one year but i would like to get it from BB.

13. adamman41

adamman41 Well-Known Member

isn;t it just as cheap if not cheaper to just pay the early termination fee instead of paying that much more for the phone?? how much is the termination fee?

14. brandonhd

brandonhd Member

$175-early termination fee

15. digitard

digitard Well-Known Member

After 5yrs working in the Cellular industry I agree... phone's are out dated before they hit your hand.

I did a lot of the user testing for the last year or two I worked (large CDMA carrier) and when phones hit the store shelves I was already testing the next big thing. It's just how it works.

All that matters is that it handles what YOU need during that period.

My BB 8330 is out of date. The thing is about 2yrs old. Yet I still have no issues w/ it. I'm just switching because the Droid said if I don't he'll stop being my friend, and I Hate losing friends!

16. billd

billd Well-Known Member

As others have said, most new tech is outdated the second it hits the stores. There's always something newer and better coming up soon. At some point, you just have to go with something and live with it for a while.

Personally, I don't like changing phones all that often, so two years is fine with me. I don't have to always have the latest thing.

17. bigdroid

That is correct Best Buy does full retail or 2 year contracts only. By the way anyone who buys full retail from Best Buy needs their head examined. Best Buy is higher than Verizon in retail price