Will this have a locked bootloader on Verizon?

1. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

I'm considering this phone. Currently on the GNex.
    First smartphone was completely locked down and filled with carrier bloat. So having a Galaxy Nexus that's completely open and developer friendly, I don't ever want another locked down phone again.

Advertisement
    :
  2. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

If you're talking about a Verizon phone, then probably in all likelihood it will be a locked bootloader. Remember, they were the only ones to request to have a locked bootloader when it came to the SGSIII and all the other carriers didn't care.

Verizon has always been a bit of a control freak when it comes to their devices. If you want some more freedom with your device, go to another carrier such as AT&T or T-Mobile.
  3. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

I want to. But AT&T would be like $10 cheaper and T-Mobile about the same. Pre-paid with those two doesn't include extended network. The only reason I stay with Verizon is because they have the best network and I travel a lot.
  4. Drogyn

Drogyn Well-Known Member

Ting say they will be carrying it as soon as it is available their service runs on sprint but has free roaming on Verizon. Their phones basically are just sprint devices... might be worth looking at see if they suit your needs.
  5. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Verizon hasn't released a phone since the Gnex that didn't have an encrypted bootloader. Some have been unlocked via unlock tools, had leaks that lead to unlocks, or been cracked; but all have been initially encrypted. No doubt Adam Outler will probably take up the fight to unlock the Verizon S4 because he seems to enjoy sticking it to Verizon by cracking their bootloaders.
  6. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Well-Known Member Contributor

Well its already a unlock for it but its a law that say we can't unlock but when it is lifted it will be exposed .how to unlock ..
  7. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Well-Known Member Contributor

This wont be a prepaid on Verizon wireless for about 6to12 months after it is released
  8. jhawkkw

The law is against sim unlocking a phone for use on another carrier other than what it is originally locked into. Bootloader unlocking is completely legal.
  9. jhawkkw

AT&T version has a locked bootloader, so it would be almost guarantee that the Verizon version is locked.
  10. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

11. jhawkkw

Yeah, let's just hope the Verizon version doesn't get patched to block which ever exploit he used. Something tells me Samsung locks these devices, but doesn't put their heart into it like Motorola does. :rolleyes:
  12. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I get the same feeling. It's like they do a half-a**ed job so they can tell the carrier "see, we locked it" just to appease them.

I heard a rumor Dan isn't releasing the unlock method until after the VZW variant is out. Perhaps to prevent VZW from re-signing the BL or from changing how it's locked? I wouldn't put it past Verizon...
  13. jhawkkw

It's a good move IMO. I'm actually surprised he revealed that he succeeded because it still give Verizon the chance to change it. But at least they're flying blind as to what they need to change.
  14. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

Agreed, it's a great move. Hopefully the lack of details will keep VZW from compensating :)
  15. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

Still considering this phone.
  16. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

Dan reports that the VZW bootloader is locked, but his exploit on the other variants works on the VZW one!

https://twitter.com/djrbliss/status/336500002316771328

17. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

Tits!

But I might hold off for the Motorola X Phone
  18. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm torn between replacing this nexus with a phone with a decent radio (big assumption there is that it has a better signal than the GNex) now or waiting to see if a ROM'able Moto or HTC phone comes to Verizon. I may just jump ship to *gasp* AT&T when the next Nexus comes out...decisions decisions!
  19. jova33

jova33 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm hoping the Motorola X Phone is something special, but from what I'm reading in the rumor mill is that it'll not be anything special.
    The Motorola bootloader for the Razr HD has been cracked, so hopefully future Motorola phones will be unlockable.
    I'm thinking the S4 might be my next phone. I'm not going to be one of the first to buy. I kinda want to wait and see how this holds up on Verizon, and then I'll either stay on Verizon and get it, or ditch Verizon
  20. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm kind of in the same situation. My contract is up (on 2nd line, 1st line is done w/contract) in January, but I'm pondering waiting for the next Nexus and if it's LTE capable I'll probably switch to AT&T and get that. But I'm not sure how much longer I can live with the Nexus' piss-poor radio. It's beginning to really get annoying dropping to 3g constantly or having to toggle airplane mode and getting a terrible signal indoors.
  21. jhawkkw

If you have decent T-Mobile signal, and there's LTE in your area, the Nexus 4 will pick it up with some mild hacking. Nothing too stressful for a nexus though.
  22. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the t-mo coverage here is pretty bad :(
  23. jhawkkw

Yeah, is pretty hit or miss. It's decent here, but we don't have hspa+42, let alone lte. :(
  24. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

So basically, my house is in the dead center of a crappy signal for T-Mobile. You can't make this stuff up! LOL! The definition of "satisfactory" is basically "usually gets a signal outside, sometimes gets a signal in a car, rarely gets one in a building" or something like that...same for voice coverage in this location. I'm at the center of a T-Mobile black hole! :D

[​IMG]
  25. Janth

Janth Member

does the locked bootloader on the S4 mean its not safe to root?