• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will this phone do what I need it to?

el bucko

Lurker
Aug 6, 2010
Which consits of the following. I've done a bunch or searching and googling, but still have some questions.

1. Work well on ATT. I know there are 2 versions, and would get the proper one. I can't get T-mo where I live.

2. Travel well. I work in the oil industry and travel 6 months a year to rigs. Lots of time in airports, domestic and foreign, as well as time in foreign ports in South America and Europe for training.. I'd like something where I can swap a SIM and use my phone, which is why I'm not interested in a Verizon. The Pro sounds interesting though..

3. Not give me phone envy in 2 months. The truth is I need something sooner rather than later, and would just like a phone that will age well. I wish my phone had died before they stopped selling them rather than the day after.

Really I think that's it. I'm in Korea right now and was going to try and pick one up here, but for 699,600 won (about 600 US) it's a little steep when we have Ebay. I'm not even sure if it is the right frequency for ATT 3G either.

Thanks,
eb

Which consits of the following. I've done a bunch or searching and googling, but still have some questions.

1. Work well on ATT. I know there are 2 versions, and would get the proper one. I can't get T-mo where I live.

I think the KR version is the same as ATT, but will have to verify... I am T-Mo, so no dice here... :D

2. Travel well. I work in the oil industry and travel 6 months a year to rigs. Lots of time in airports, domestic and foreign, as well as time in foreign ports in South America and Europe for training.. I'd like something where I can swap a SIM and use my phone, which is why I'm not interested in a Verizon. The Pro sounds interesting though..

Thing about the N1 is that it comes SIM unlocked, so you can put whatever SIM in it you want. Spare batteries are cheap, so pick a few of those up.

3. Not give me phone envy in 2 months. The truth is I need something sooner rather than later, and would just like a phone that will age well. I wish my phone had died before they stopped selling them rather than the day after.

You'll never buy a phone that will last a LONG time, tech changes too quickly, but overall, this should give you a good ride for a while.

Really I think that's it. I'm in Korea right now and was going to try and pick one up here, but for 699,600 won (about 600 US) it's a little steep when we have Ebay. I'm not even sure if it is the right frequency for ATT 3G either.

Thanks,
eb

Wish you luck and hope others can offer some info I don't have. :D

Reactions: el bucko
Upvote 0
Just an FYI.

Not sure if you were going eBay or registering as an Android developer($25) to pick one up from Google but I read last night that Google NOW only offers the T-Mobile version. It stated that the Rogers/ATT version is no longer available:thinking::(

They still sell the Vodaphone and Korea version through local retailers/carriers. It's only in the US/Canada that you have to buy the developers version.

I didn't know they only offered the T-Mo one through this route though. :D

Upvote 0
True, I didn't think about his ability to purchase it abroad but I was thinking about how he might be able to get his hands on the ATT version.

Anyway, I tried looking for that site where I read about the demise of the ATT version but I couldn't find it. I did find this thread where it's posted that they will no longer carry the ATT version 'at this time'.:rolleyes:

Dev Phone only available for T-Mo bands

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I did see that the dev phone was only T-mob which blew that plan right away. Ebay is probably the way to go for getting one if I can't find one here. Just hoping I can find one that's in good shape. If that doesn't work out I'll look into picking one up when I'm back in Korea next month. It's tough figuring out what's right with the language barrier though. I'll at least look into the car dock.

Upvote 0

Yes. Coming from a user in Asia who travels fairly frequently, it's great. Buy a SIM, slot it in, done!

Been using since Feb, no envy: only the Samsung Galaxy S and the Droid X out-spec the N1 point for point, and then only because they've got better GPUs. I only wish it had HDMI out, but this may or may not be an issue for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones