Will THIS replace your Droid?

Last Updated:

1. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
    johnlgalt and YankeeDudeL like this.
  2. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

To be honest, yeah, probably. By the time it actually comes out, I'll probably be eligible for an upgrade (or at least one of my other lines will be :cool:). It'll take that kinda speed to lure me away from my Droid. I doubt it'll be anywhere near as "rootable" as our beloved OG Droids, and that'll hurt. But at least I can still hold on to my D1 and flash LFY10.8, BB25, and UD1.0.0 (it'll just go back to that anyway, always does).

3. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

4. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

Hopefully its easy to hack.

5. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

Bah! No keyboard!?! I'll wait 'til they add a keyboard to it...I just like a keyboard...

6. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator This Topic's Starter

Until we have chips in our brains, I think everything is going to be touch- and motion-driven without that archaic QWERTY keyboard. It's the way of the future... :rolleyes:

7. Thornfullessrose

yup, me too. i hate how alot of people feel there are no need for them anymore when they are way more reliable (and way better) than virtual keyboards.

8. Lock-N-Load

I use to value the KB, but find in the last 3-4 months I never really use it. I think for me, a physical KB is no longer needed.

9. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member

No mention of LTE capability. My next phone must work on LTE. (And preferably have no keyboard :) )

10. Lock-N-Load

11. digdug1

digdug1 Well-Known Member

Only if I can root it. From what I understand it is supposed to be the most locked down phone yet. Plus it is supposed to be 4g which means it will have a teired data plan. If I can be grandfathered in on my current unlimited plan I will stick to 3g.

12. Lock-N-Load

has there really ever been a phone yet, iPhone or Droid flavor mind you, that has not been cracked yet?

the only one I can recall in recent times is the one last week that can unroot you if you root. but I bet even that will be busted open in time just because someone wants to beat the system. something like this phone, it seems like the D1 in that devs would be all over it trying to crack it.

13. thrifty

thrifty Well-Known Member

I'm definitely down for it as long as it's screen size is up there with the X. and I don't give two poops about the physical keyboard.... never use it anyway...:p

14. digdug1

digdug1 Well-Known Member

i use the keyboard but i think a slimmer phone would be nice. i hope that there are still some cool phones coming out for 3g though as well. i like having my usage unlimited. i tend to average 5 gigs a month(Pandora/ son watching cartoons on you tube while we are out).

15. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

They're already paying royalties to use the word Droid they weren't paying enough so they decided to add Terminator in? lol :)

Here's to hoping it's basically the same as a Droid X (but better). I have started to think I might be better of with a large screen/slimmer phone without a physical keyboard.

16. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Possibly. My base criteria so far has been 2 or more of the following: 2+GHz, multiple cores, LTE. I personally don't get why people seem ready to upgrade everytime a new device is released that doesn't offer significant improvements over existing devices.

It's too early to really say though. I prefer purchasing based on real world reviews.

I'm all for a good physical keyboard. The Droid's is not one of them...

17. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

Has to be vanilla Android and unlocked for me to consider the upgrade.

18. jdailey1981

jdailey1981 Well-Known Member

Bye what I have read, all new Motorola and HTC phones are going to be unlocked and unrootable. If you try to root, and put a custom rom, the phone resets back to the factory rom. Why they would do this, idk, but its dumb. I guess we will be stuck with crapware and mediocre performance. At least with root, you can open the phone up to its full capability.

19. slosh

slosh Well-Known Member

jdailey1981 can you give link to where you read this please....interesting

20. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

i can guarentee that given enough time, all droid phones will be rooted. If moto was able to get it on there then its able to be taken off. wether its hardware or software.

21. shizzy1427

shizzy1427 Well-Known Member

Hopefully it will replace my Droid. I've wanted to replace it, but nothing has seemed a worthy upgrade from the droid yet. And my NE2 isnt up yet.

22. publicanimal

publicanimal Well-Known Member

You should take a crack at it then.

23. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

I will probably upgrade if it can be rooted, but I wonder if there will be programs the D1 isn't fast enough to run. There aren't any now (especially when rooted and overclocked).

24. Thornfullessrose

Well Flash isn't quite good without being over OC'd. At least it wasn't on all the Droid1s I had tested it on, that were stock before I rooted and OC'd.

25. XJweber

XJweber Member

Sounds like a sweet phone...... It'll have to be rootable for me to buy one and if data is tiered I'm hosed.