Will this work?

1. bob60626

bob60626 Well-Known Member

1. Buy Verizon LTE tablet full price (300 for a 2, 400 for a 7.7, Verizon prices).
    2. Get an LTE sim from Millenicom for one of their Verizon run mifis/dongles/...
    3. Stick it in the tablet.
    4. Bam! Lots of data for a reasonable price (admittedly more what I need or want to pay for...).

Advertisement
    :
  2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

No. The tablet will be locked to Verizon.

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0
  3. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

You would probably need to unlock the tablet first since all verizon devices are locked to verizon.
  4. bob60626

But it'd be a Verizon tablet using Verizon data.
  5. Crashdamage

Not gonna work. If you wanna use a Verizon device they're gonna make you pay Verizon's ridiculous rates.

6. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

It doesn't matter because you aren't technically going through Verizon. Since you are going through a different company they probably have their own way of doing data, and it would require the tablet to be unlocked.

And as of this past Saturday unlocking any device tied to a carrier without asking the carrier's permission to unlock first is illegal.
  7. bob60626

What if I got it unlocked by Verizon? I'm looking more for a technical reason why it will/won't work.
  8. grishamblake

grishamblake New Member

You need to unlock the tablet :(
  9. Crashdamage

If Verizon will unlock it you are good to go. Lotsa luck with that.

10. Davdi

Davdi Well-Known Member Contributor

I don't know how pre-paid works in the U.S. but in the U.K. if you've had a locked prepaid phone for 6 months the carrier will unlock it for you (free or for a small charge depending on the carrier). But ass it's legal to unlock it here you only use the carrier to unlock as it's usually cheaper than the shops that offer the service. Oh, the ebay 'unlock your phone for