will tmobiles rom update un root my hero?

Last Updated:

1. johnheams

johnheams New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all I'm using a tmobile g2 and have rooted it too use the modaco Rom, I'm planning to update with the tmobile Rom when they release it and was wondering if this would remove the root and reinstate my warrenty
    Thanks

Ps. I have been looking at this forum for a while now and I think its one of the best around :)

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Yes.

3. Merago

Merago Well-Known Member

It does reinstate the warranty? That's good to hear as I'm sure I'd read somewhere that runnning the T-Mobile ROM and effectively un-rooting probably wouldn't reinstate the warranty.

4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Look at it this way.... if the handset is returned to the stock ROM and recovery image, htf are they to know it was ever otherwise? Btw, I've read tales of "secret hidden log files" but that won't wash - if you reflash the ROM then do a wipe/reset the phone is returned to its "as new" state. Reformat the SDHC card as well and there can't be any traces left. All T-mobile will find is a handset that's been factory reset in a failed attempt to fix the problem, which is most likely what they'd expect to find anyway.

The final decision rests with the owner, though. If they're at all concerned about the consequences they shouldn't mess with their handset.

5. Merago

Merago Well-Known Member

I did think that hidden log files sounded a little paranoid!

6. Hemroid

Hemroid New Member

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean someone is not out to get you!

7. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

Flashing back to an Official ROM will cover up all previous traces of rooting, but it wont necessarily erase them. For example, when you format a hard drive, you have the option of a "Quick Format." The quick format doesn't actually erase your data. It simply flags it as unused and able to be overwritten. It's the same thing with flashing with a new upgrade. It wont necessarily wipe out all traces of a root, but it'll flag it as unused and able to be overwritten.

Now will HTC or Tmobile actually want to look for such things? I think not. Not only is there no guarenty that the evidence will be there, there's no way to know where to look for it. They wouldnt waste their time looking.