Will unrevoked/unForever prevent me from getting the OTA?

Last Updated:

1. Divine_Madcat

Divine_Madcat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, noob question, shun me if needed, but I am very curious. If i apply unrevoked and forever (s-off), but do nothing with it (like flashing firmware/radio), can i still expect to get the OTA like normal? I know I can s-on again in a real pinch, but would like to not have to do so..

Advertisement
  2. RustyNail

RustyNail Well-Known Member

I believe you need the stock recovery to successfully apply the OTA update.

3. gs13

gs13 Well-Known Member

Sorry, how far back would the stock recovery go? would I need to go back to Radio 1.0 and everything else?

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm running 2.15, Unrevoked forever, & SkyRaider 2.5.2

4. Divine_Madcat

Would something like this work:

- Apply unrevoked
    - Apply forever
    - Apply original recovery

?

Perhaps this isn't worth worrying about... for as much of a computer tweaker as I am, i haven't seen a huge need to root...

5. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

no this would allow you to keep root AND get the OTA when done correctly

6. Divine_Madcat

So my question is - what exactly is "done correctly"?

7. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

I'll break it right down for you my man.

It is clear to me, that you know the difference between root, and S-OFF. good. step 1, done.

so, if you were to not have S-OFF, so you'd have S-ON, and accept the OTA, you may NOT be able to get root back. This is unknown.

but

with the release of unrevoked new way to turn S-OFF back to S-ON, you can now run S-OFF(unrevoked forever) and accept the 2.2 OTA and keep root.

now, to answer your question of the correct steps I was speaking of.

make sure you have S-OFF, is step one, and probably the most important.

roll back to stock recovery, now, there is currently, two methods
    1) rolling back from stock root,
    2) rolling back from if you installed the leaked OTA which gave you the 2.05x radio I believe.
    found here : this website

follow the instructions for this, it is quite simple, you place the file on the root of SD and flash in HBOOT.

as long as you had S-OFF unrevoked forever installed, and you do this, you will be back to stock recovery thus being able to accept and install the 2.2 OTA, AND be able to re-root. thanks to S-OFF. and if you ever need a factory warranty replacement, you can run the S-ON. and still be good.

once you accept the 2.2 OTA, you will need to flash the clockworkmod recovery in HBOOT, to get that back. and then download superuser on the market.

hope this breaks it down for you straight.

8. Reaver

Reaver Well-Known Member

Damn dude!! That is a great how to.

Mods. Can you sticky this post !! IT may come in very helpful to those who are unfamiliar with unrevoked, forever & OTA.

9. Divine_Madcat

Indeed. Thank you for the advice. Now i just need to decide if i want to wipe my phone to get root. I think i have everything backed up, so i guess there isn't too much harm...

10. mobiledevice

mobiledevice Well-Known Member

This is far more complicated than I thought it would be. Here are my remaining questions.

1) If I'm on radio 2.15, do I need to downgrade to 1.x?

2) If I'm rooted with S-off but no custom ROM, I still have to go back to the stock recovery, right? (i.e., remove clockwork)

11. Spart

Spart Well-Known Member

You don't have to wipe your phone to get root. If you wanted to install custom rom's or such but not just for root.

12. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

1) If you install the stock recovery doing the way I explained above, it will put you back on the stock 1.x radio, stock recovery, stock hboot, stock everything, the only thing not stock is the fact that you still have S-OFF because this way you can be sure to re-gain root.

2) From my understanding the ONLY way to be able to actually install the OTA, you have to have stock recovery.

mobiledevice likes this.
  13. gunnm001

gunnm001 New Member

The only thing I have done is unrevoked 3. I'll run forever tonight. If I have the stock rom, rooted with s-off. Can I just run the OTA? I'm really new at all this. I want to make sure that I have root and that I can get FROYO.

14. craigrn16

craigrn16 Well-Known Member

when I had the Droid with ROM and root I was still able to do the regular update without changing anything. The only thing I lost was root. It wouldnt be the same way with the Dinc?

15. xvxgabrielxvx

xvxgabrielxvx New Member

I'm in the same boat as gunnm001 - I have only run unrevoked 3 on my Dinc, and everything else is stock. I just heard Verizon is pushing out the froyo today (this one seems to be legit), so will I be able to receive the OTA?

16. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

If you have the stoc RECOVERY, then yes you should be good to go. just get s-off, from unrevoked FOREVER to get root after the OTA

17. jratzo

jratzo Well-Known Member

Doesn't Unrevoked 3 install a custom recovery? Then he wouldn't be able to

18. ludewick

ludewick New Member

how do you turn s-on?

19. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

do some research my man, unrevoked3, and unrevoked forever are so far apart from each other it isn't even funny to get them mixed up lol.

"ludewick how do you turn s-on? "

again do some research, it's pretty simple to go to the unrevoked website, and click on unrevoked forever, and then searching to find out how to do s-on, same thing as doing the s-off, but reverse.

20. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

So, if we have clockwork from running Unrevoked3, does anyone have a link to the stock recovery image for us to flash?

Edit: NVM, I think I found it.