• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Will Update 2.1 prevent "rooting" or not???

bimerguy

Nov 1, 2009
Did a little searching and not sure what the final answer is about update 2.1 blocking rooting if not already rooted.

Simple question about Moto Droid Update to 2.1 truely blocking rooting after this OTA update...will this block my un-rooted Driod so that I cannot root later after I finish some learning about rooting in the next couple of weeks?

If it will I would like to root before IF that is necessary.

Thanks in advance for the mericiful replies to this post as I just did not find a definite post on this in the time I searched so I wanted to ask before the update took place.

Well what will prolly happen is that 2.1 will block rooting for a whole week or so until its worked with to be able to root. What i would recommend is that you root your phone (which is really easy) so that way when the upgrade happens you have the chance of still being rooted while running 2.1. Also read up a ton and load a ROM onto your phone. Im running the latest bugless beast and i love it. Just read a lot about it and take your time.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the great replies, I will root tonight as I have read about this and watched the videos.

Still not sure about the ROM to re-install so I will review a bit more prior to choosing, although Bugless Beast seems likely since it stops the 2.1 update root blocking that is expected.

Any advise on choosing ROM based on 2 things: Stability(Always) and features that I would choose. In other words, I don't need any possibly unstable ROM and can I find out the ROM's features before I load and try?

Because of members like you guys, this forum is one of the best...thanks for all your replies and advice to come.

Upvote 0
I will throw my opinion in here..

Blocking OTA updates is actually not that difficult. It can be done from your PC using ADB, or from a simple terminal emulator app(I use connectbot) installed on the device itself. Do some research on a ROM before you flash it, to make sure which one you actually want. The bugless roms install the way the dev. put them together.. Sholes roms let u customize them to your liking during installation.

I also read that the Sholes SMupdater app itself blocks the OTA updates, but I cannot confirm this.

I have tried both the bugless beast roms, and Sholes roms. Bugless has a nice theme, but I have found Sholes to be more stable, especially the newest-2.0.5 with it's optimized kernel. Opinions will vary of course.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the great replies, I will root tonight as I have read about this and watched the videos.

Still not sure about the ROM to re-install so I will review a bit more prior to choosing, although Bugless Beast seems likely since it stops the 2.1 update root blocking that is expected.

Any advise on choosing ROM based on 2 things: Stability(Always) and features that I would choose. In other words, I don't need any possibly unstable ROM and can I find out the ROM's features before I load and try?

Because of members like you guys, this forum is one of the best...thanks for all your replies and advice to come.

If you go to sholes.info, you should be able to see the information on their ROM in the repository section of the website. Pete's Bugless series have threads on Alldroid.org under his section (in the "development" category) that show all of the features.

Honestly, I've tried Pete's and Sholes, and while I prefer Pete's you really cannot go wrong with either of these ROMs. They are both very well done, fast, stable and feature packed.

Upvote 0
If you go to sholes.info, you should be able to see the information on their ROM in the repository section of the website. Pete's Bugless series have threads on Alldroid.org under his section (in the "development" category) that show all of the features.

Honestly, I've tried Pete's and Sholes, and while I prefer Pete's you really cannot go wrong with either of these ROMs. They are both very well done, fast, stable and feature packed.

Thanks for the confirmation that either ROMs are good and only need to compare features.

Upvote 0
Those 2 are the most popular for sure. There are a few other ones; the person (AdamZ) who makes the smoked glass interface that Pete uses in his ROM actually has his own ROM, I believe, but I haven't tried it. Pete also has his new Bugless Beast out which is based on 2.1 - haven't tried this one either but I'm doing it when I get home to test it out.

For your first ROM, I would strongly recommend one of the two big ones as they are known to work well and there is a good chance you will find it to your liking and won't have to do much experimenting afterwards - unless you want to of course :)

Upvote 0
SPRecovery blocks update.zips by default, so it doesn't even matter if the ROM blocks the update or not, because you ARE using SPRecovery to load ANY rom, and the recovery itself blocks the update.

So FAB,

Are you simply saying that if I have the SPRecovery on my rooted Droid taht I will not get the OTA updates for sure. This would be sweet since I would want control of any OTA updates installing automatically.

Upvote 0
So FAB,

Are you simply saying that if I have the SPRecovery on my rooted Droid taht I will not get the OTA updates for sure. This would be sweet since I would want control of any OTA updates installing automatically.

Depending on which ROM you have, you MAY get the OTA update, meaning you will download it to your SD card. But if you try to apply it, SPRecovery will block it.

Btw, there's no such thing as an 'automatic' update. Even on a stock Droid, you're still prompted to install the update. Anyone who installs an update pressed a prompt acknowledging they wanted to.

Upvote 0
Depending on which ROM you have, you MAY get the OTA update, meaning you will download it to your SD card. But if you try to apply it, SPRecovery will block it.

Btw, there's no such thing as an 'automatic' update. Even on a stock Droid, you're still prompted to install the update. Anyone who installs an update pressed a prompt acknowledging they wanted to.
I thought I read somewhere on this site that if you reboot when an update is available (when you're stock) that it WILL automatically update, even if you chose not to download/install it when the notification did come.
Maybe I am confusing ideas here?

Upvote 0
I thought I read somewhere on this site that if you reboot when an update is available (when you're stock) that it WILL automatically update, even if you chose not to download/install it when the notification did come.
Maybe I am confusing ideas here?

Yes, you are confused. This is not the case. It will still prompt you to install it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones