Will we ever see a Nexus S on Verizon?

Last Updated:

1. TheSkiShow

TheSkiShow Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Haven't seen this anywhere so...

Basically just what the title says. Will we? I've been at work all day and haven't really had much time to look at much, I just know it's going to be on T-Mobile, but that it will be unlocked...

I don't know too much about the radio end of things for phones, but doesn't T-Mobile run on GSM or something of the sort? And Verizon is CDMA, so I'm guessing an unlocked version of this phone would only be compatible with AT&T? :confused:

Haha, sorry for my ignorance regarding this subject, basically what I'm asking is can I use this unlocked phone on Verizon and if not (pretty sure that's the answer) will we ever see one for Big Red?

Advertisement
  2. TheBlackPrince

TheBlackPrince Well-Known Member

An unlocked version would work on AT&T's Edge (2G) network and you would be able to make phone calls on AT&T's network. It won't work with Verizon due to the differences between CDMA and GSM radio technology.

One day perhaps we shall receive a CDMA compatible Nexus S seeing as how Verizon and Sprint originally planned to carry the Nexus One...

3. TheSkiShow

TheSkiShow Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Disappointing. I was really hoping I'd be able to buy this phone and use it on my network. Next question is how to get vanilla Android 2.3 on my DInc... haha

4. NunyaBidnez

NunyaBidnez Well-Known Member

T-Mobile and AT&T utilize GSM technology which is not compatible with Sprint or Verizon, which utilize CDMA technology.

With GSM carriers, the Subscriber ID is placed on a small card know as a SIM. Once a SIM is activated, it can be switched out between unlocked GSM phones easily, so there is no need to contact the carrier when you change phones.

With CDMA carriers, the Subscriber ID is tied to the phone you register with your carrier. If you want to switch phones, you would have to contact your carrier, tell them the ESN of the new phone, and wait for them to program it into their system. This essentially gives the carrier total control over which phones are activated on their network.

If Google did offer an unlocked CDMA version of the Nexus S, you still wouldn't be able to activate it on Verizon or Sprint because they each have a policy against activating any phone that they do not officially support.

5. equake

equake Member

Not likely, Verizon is pushing LTE so the next super phone is going to be a Tegra 2 3G/4G LTE phone

ckochinsky125 likes this.
  6. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

Agree verizon likes to fill their phones with their crappy bloatware so most likely wont get a stock android phone unless moto pays big bucks to have one

7. ISASoilder

ISASoilder Well-Known Member

I think so all 3 carriers now have the Nexus S i wouldnt be surprised if we get one with 4G LTE capabilities

8. carolinaguy99

carolinaguy99 Member

Simple answer, no. VZW is the reason why, they've said they didn't want nexus devices, they are like apple and like things locked down which is why they are so Motorola loving.