1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Will we ever see an IM app with PUSH notifications?

Last Updated:

1. dvdqnoc

dvdqnoc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have the Sprint Hero, and I know that GTalk and Gmail do push. But what about all the other apps out there? Mainly IM apps.

I realize how difficult it would be for a dev to utilize push, but what about a company like AIM that already has push notifications for the iPhone AIM app? The official AIM app was recently released, and I am dissapointed to see that it has no push notifications. That means, leaving it on in the background keeps the phone awake. I would really like to be able to leave my AIM on in the background without having to worry about my phone battery draining...

Advertisement
  2. MisterB

MisterB Well-Known Member

Look in the market for the app called "EBuddy". Works great.

3. dvdqnoc

EBuddy does not utilize push notifications, and keeps your phone awake as well.

4. regression

regression Well-Known Member

I have never seen an IM app that uses push (except GTalk, like you mentioned). It would be very useful though....

5. dvdqnoc

Well if you glance at the reviews/comments for the Official AIM App, people are absolutely SCREAMING from an update, and deservingly so. It logs the user off way to frequently, and has other problems as well.

But it seems like AOL is not responding very quickly with an update... its been a while. Could it be possible that they are trying to add PUSH support in addition to solutions for current issues?

6. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Mother of fail, people still use AIM? Really? Why?

7. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Yes.
    Yes.
    No idea.

8. CarControl

CarControl Member

The iPhone app has push notifications because Apple runs a push server that developers can use. Unfortunately, Android doesn't have this and won't until Google adds a push server or opens up the APIs used by gTalk for push.

9. jschiffman

jschiffman Member

If there is anyone out there that wants to build a push notification-based IM client, check out Xtify - our SDK and free webservice allows you to push directly to the user, without keeping your app open... Xtify Developer: Home to download SDK and sample app.