1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

General Will we keep unlimited data if we upgrade?

1. tensazan

tensazan Well-Known Member

I know this is an odd question, but a friend of mine and I have been debating over whether I will keep unlimited data if I use an upgrade next December. He says that a store manager said that anyone currently with unlimited data will have to bump down to a tiered pricing plan, while I believe it sticks... My mom upgraded 2 weeks after the tiered pricing same out and she kept her unlimited data on her iPhone. Anyone know how data is going to work for future upgrades?

Advertisement
  2. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

I had a Verizon Wireless escalations manager tell me that you'll be able to keep your unlimited data. This remains to be seen though as my parents had an unlimited data plan on their USB aircard but when they tried to get a new card they were told they'd have to go down to the 2-5 GB data plans. If Verizon doesn't let me keep my unlimited data then I'll probably with a different carrier.
    jj3699 likes this.
  3. tensazan

tensazan Well-Known Member

I'm hoping they will let us keep it. If they don't, its not really a big deal to me, I use less than a gig very month, though I've had wifi most of the time.
  4. milessthomas

milessthomas New Member

I just upgraded to the Thunderbolt on 10/15/11 and had unlimited data on my Droid 2. When I upgraded online it gave me the option to retain my unlimited data plan and warned me that if I switched to another plan I would not be able to get unlimited data back.

I chose to keep unlimited data, and just verified on my account that I do indeed still have unlimited.
  5. Ibrick

Ibrick Well-Known Member

I believe you can keep your unlimited data indefinitely as long as you don't sign a new contract, which would mean paying outright for the phone.

You could change your plan, upping your minutes for instance, but purchasing a new phone at the discounted price would negate your current unlimited data plan.
  6. milessthomas

milessthomas New Member

This is what I did and was able to keep unlimited data. This was switching from a 3g only phone to a 3g/4g thunderbolt, retaining unlimited data and purchasing the phone at a discount.
  7. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic VIP Member

Currently if you are on an unlimited plan you can upgrade at the two year discount price and keep the unlimited plan as long as you have a smartphone currently and don't go to a feature phone, I think they will keep us grandfathered in until sprint does away with their unlimited plan
    EgoDogg, eipee73, Ibrick and 2 others like this.
  8. CharlzO

CharlzO Well-Known Member

^ This.

Unless they change down the road, as it stands now, as long as you currently have a smartphone with unlimited, and remain in a smartphone when you upgrade, your unlimited stays. As always, subject to change in the future, but right now, that's how it is.
  9. Ibrick

Ibrick Well-Known Member

Nice, I was all set to fork out $600-$700 on an upgrade.

Even more glad I took the 1yr contract with the Tbolt. Can't wait to see what CES has to hold.
  10. JnEricsonx

JnEricsonx Well-Known Member

I picked up my TBolt at the start of May, so yeah, as long as when I upgrade come 2013 I'll be still having unlimited data, though to be honest, 90% of my internet usage on my phone comes through wi-fi, but its nice to know I have it.
  11. cookie_monster

cookie_monster Well-Known Member

they will grandfather us in as long as you go from smart phone till smart phone.
  12. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

My wife just got a HTC Merge coming from a Moto Devour. She kept her unlimited data with the upgrade.
  13. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

As others have said as long as you're going smartphone to smartphone and not changing your plan you can keep your unlimited data. I don't think buying a phone on a NE2 plan or off contract matters as your not changing your plan, just your phone. I plan on buying the GN off contract and I don't foresee them saying I can't keep my unlimited data. It would make no sense
  14. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

You can get a new phone but we ain't letting you leave our section. You're to valuable to us LOL.
    trapperjohn and WormDoes like this.
  15. PoweredByLE5

PoweredByLE5 Well-Known Member

i dont know about verizon because i just switched to it but i had tmobile and when i signed new contracts to get a new phone they carried over my plan which was awesome cause i had an old plan that was no longer offered and was better than the plans they have now. of course i lost that when i switched to verizon lol but i hope verizons the same and carries over.