• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will you be getting Asurion Insurance w/ your Incredible?

Insurance for you Incredible?

• Yes, with Verizon/Asurion.

Votes: 342 65.0%
  • Yes, with SquareTrade

Votes: 20 3.8%
  • Yes, with other 3rd-party insurance

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • No insurance at all.

Votes: 154 29.3%

• Total voters

seoultrain

Apr 8, 2010
I'm almost never one to go for accident insurance and extended warranties, but the incredible will be my first smartphone (hell, my first phone requiring out-of-pocket money with contract), and these things aren't the most resilient, nor are they cheap to replace.

So how 'bout it, will you guys be getting Verizon's insurance through Asurion? 3rd-party insurance? No insurance? And why?

How much is it? What other choices are there? What does it cover? I've been looking for information on this as well.

$6/month for theft, accident coverage.
$8/month for theft, accident, and extended warranty coverage.

google "verizon asurion" for specific terms.

Just looked up SquareTrade, and they're $115 for 2 years on the Nexus One. Doesn't seem like they cover loss or theft. You must have the phone (or what's left of it) in possession.

Upvote 0
Doesn't look worth it in my opinion.

Asurion Wireless Phone Protection* Asurion, a third-party licensed insurance agency, provides insurance coverage for your wireless device and certain standard accessories. If your device is lost, stolen or accidentally damaged (including liquid and physical damage), you may file your claim with the insurance agency within 60 days of the incident and the device will be replaced upon claim approval. To make an insurance claim online or to obtain Asurion

Upvote 0
All of my experiences with Assurion (through VZW) have been exceptional! In my previous life, I was an IT Director and managed multiple corporate cellphone accounts. Many a phone were dropped, lost, and even brought into hot tubs/pools. When I first started that career, I didn't get insurance and ended up writing some checks (corporate checks, thankfully) for $350-$550 and quickly learned that paying for insurance, followed by a an occational quick and simply online form & dedectible were by far the best way to go. FedEx arrives the next day with a guarranteed phone, instructions, and return box with label. Just replaced my wife's HTC Touch Pro via Assurion a couple of weeks back also. Yes, many times these are refurbed units, but as picky as I am, I've NEVER been able to tell them from new!

Upvote 0
Squaretrade with coupon for a premium smart phone is 144$ and then the biggest coupon i found quickly, brought it down to 115$.xx for 2 years, asurion @ 6$ a month for 24 months is 144$, i might end up doing a 1 year contract so asurion might be better for me

square trade deductible is only $50 where as asurion is 89$

square trade dosent cover theft or loss, asurion does

decisions decisions

Upvote 0
I have amazing service with Asurion, call them up make a claim and they get a phone out to you usually the next day . Although if you loss or have your phone stolen you have to file a police rport which sounds like a pain , but I called up the local police station and they gave me a case number to give to asurion over the phone very simple process especially for a $500-$600 phone

Reactions: rmlavin315
Upvote 0
What about Best Buy and the warranty they offer? I've read a lot of conflicting information about their warranty. Some say you just take your phone in and they swap it out, others say it takes about a week to get a replacement if your phone is deemed unrepairable. If it is repairable, you get it in about 2-3 weeks! That really scares me.

Also, does Costco offer a warranty if you buy it there?

I've use Asurion before (twice) and it was fast and easy. One time I got some grief about one of my phones, so I called Verzion and they gave me a new one.

Upvote 0
I used Asurion to replace two Storms with broken screens. Their service is exceptional.

Log on to the website, enter your personal info and reason for needing an insurance request, pay with a credit card and BOOM, they have a replacement shipped out to you via next day air. They also include a prepaid envelope for mailing back the broken phone.

If I buy this phone at full price (e.g. no contract), will I be able to get Asurion coverage?

Reactions: paynomind
Upvote 0
What about Best Buy and the warranty they offer? I've read a lot of conflicting information about their warranty. Some say you just take your phone in and they swap it out, others say it takes about a week to get a replacement if your phone is deemed unrepairable. If it is repairable, you get it in about 2-3 weeks! That really scares me.

Also, does Costco offer a warranty if you buy it there?

I've use Asurion before (twice) and it was fast and easy. One time I got some grief about one of my phones, so I called Verzion and they gave me a new one.

Best Buy will swap out your phone for a loaner while it is sent in to be fixed/replaced. I also believe they need a credit card/bank card to put the loaner on then it would be refunded when the loaner is returned. I say go with the insurance from verizon or the other one everyone has been talking about

Upvote 0
there should be another option in the poll "Insurance is the biggest waste of money on the planet, I just choose to take care of my things like an adult"

I dont' think it's a waste of money at all, $6 a month and a $90 deductible so if 9months down the road I decided to drop my phone in a pitcher of beer or I get drunk and lose the phone and need another one it's only costing me $144 for a replacement . You can't even get a used Eris for $144 right now , now if you are someone who is very careful with there things then yeah maybe you don't need. I on the other hand am the type of person who is not easy on anything he owns and constantly breaks things by not being carefull sometimes I'm just too busy enjoying life to worry about my phone hence why I pay $6 a month for insurance so I don't have to worrry about my phones and I always have a backup phone which in a couple weeks will be my Eris

so for me its not "will I use my insurance it's when"

Upvote 0
I believe that Verizon never directly replaces the phone. I had insurance with my last phone and had it for years and years and when something went wrong the amount of paper work I had to complete was a total turn off. I couldn't take it to VZW and get another.

QFT. The insurance back in the day on Cell Phones was awesome. Hmmm don't like your phone?? Smash it and get a new one overnighted to you! That was a method that someone that I know used to do back in the day lol! Hence the reason today why the insurance policy's suck for the most part =(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones