10 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. No insurance at all.

154 vote(s)
    29.3%

Last Updated:

1. seoultrain

seoultrain Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm almost never one to go for accident insurance and extended warranties, but the incredible will be my first smartphone (hell, my first phone requiring out-of-pocket money with contract), and these things aren't the most resilient, nor are they cheap to replace.

So how 'bout it, will you guys be getting Verizon's insurance through Asurion? 3rd-party insurance? No insurance? And why?

Advertisement
  2. ccoager

ccoager Well-Known Member

How much is it? What other choices are there? What does it cover? I've been looking for information on this as well.

3. pixie06

pixie06 Active Member

Absolutely! Never had it with any of my other phones, but this one will be WAY TOO EXPENSIVE to replace without it.

4. seoultrain

seoultrain Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

$6/month for theft, accident coverage.
    $8/month for theft, accident, and extended warranty coverage.

google "verizon asurion" for specific terms.

Just looked up SquareTrade, and they're $115 for 2 years on the Nexus One. Doesn't seem like they cover loss or theft. You must have the phone (or what's left of it) in possession.

5. wonderbread

wonderbread Well-Known Member

I believe that Verizon never directly replaces the phone. I had insurance with my last phone and had it for years and years and when something went wrong the amount of paper work I had to complete was a total turn off. I couldn't take it to VZW and get another.

6. ccoager

Doesn't look worth it in my opinion.

7. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

I might go with SquareTrade and coupon.

8. tbone-ike

tbone-ike Active Member

All of my experiences with Assurion (through VZW) have been exceptional! In my previous life, I was an IT Director and managed multiple corporate cellphone accounts. Many a phone were dropped, lost, and even brought into hot tubs/pools. When I first started that career, I didn't get insurance and ended up writing some checks (corporate checks, thankfully) for $350-$550 and quickly learned that paying for insurance, followed by a an occational quick and simply online form & dedectible were by far the best way to go. FedEx arrives the next day with a guarranteed phone, instructions, and return box with label. Just replaced my wife's HTC Touch Pro via Assurion a couple of weeks back also. Yes, many times these are refurbed units, but as picky as I am, I've NEVER been able to tell them from new!

2010 ZR1 and rmlavin315 like this.
  9. eth555

eth555 Member

I am thinking SquareTrade too. Seems to be a pretty good deal, and Verizon Assurion is just getting to spendy with too high of a deductible.

10. bamaboy

bamaboy Active Member

Squaretrade with coupon for a premium smart phone is 144$ and then the biggest coupon i found quickly, brought it down to 115$.xx for 2 years, asurion @ 6$ a month for 24 months is 144$, i might end up doing a 1 year contract so asurion might be better for me

square trade deductible is only $50 where as asurion is 89$

square trade dosent cover theft or loss, asurion does

decisions decisions

11. GMK83

GMK83 Well-Known Member

brick your phone...oops lost it.

12. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I have amazing service with Asurion, call them up make a claim and they get a phone out to you usually the next day . Although if you loss or have your phone stolen you have to file a police rport which sounds like a pain , but I called up the local police station and they gave me a case number to give to asurion over the phone very simple process especially for a $500-$600 phone

rmlavin315 likes this.
  13. dvdivx

dvdivx Well-Known Member

Squaretrade is the only way to go for the Nexus.

14. Shalamay

Shalamay Active Member

What about Best Buy and the warranty they offer? I've read a lot of conflicting information about their warranty. Some say you just take your phone in and they swap it out, others say it takes about a week to get a replacement if your phone is deemed unrepairable. If it is repairable, you get it in about 2-3 weeks! That really scares me.

Also, does Costco offer a warranty if you buy it there?

I've use Asurion before (twice) and it was fast and easy. One time I got some grief about one of my phones, so I called Verzion and they gave me a new one.

15. Darbley77

Darbley77 Well-Known Member

My Droid is insured through State Farm so I'll just insure the incredible the same way.

16. ccoager

How'd you get insurance through State Farm? I called them the other day and was told they don't have insurance for cell phones.

17. lespaulist

lespaulist Well-Known Member

Correct me if I am wrong but doens't Asurion send out refurbushed phones as replacements? I don't belibe you receive a "new" phone.

18. SourPatchKid

SourPatchKid Well-Known Member

This thread is really interesting.

-My deductible is $50.
    -I fill out the form online and they FedEx me a new phone.
    -I didn't have to fill out a police report when I had a BB get stolen.

I've got Asurion.

paynomind likes this.
  19. Mr. Spontaneous

Mr. Spontaneous Well-Known Member

I used Asurion to replace two Storms with broken screens. Their service is exceptional.

Log on to the website, enter your personal info and reason for needing an insurance request, pay with a credit card and BOOM, they have a replacement shipped out to you via next day air. They also include a prepaid envelope for mailing back the broken phone.

If I buy this phone at full price (e.g. no contract), will I be able to get Asurion coverage?

paynomind likes this.
  20. DroidInJax

DroidInJax Well-Known Member

This will be my 1st smart phone, also, and I was thinking that having insurance for the 1st year might be the way to go. I've seen posts that the primary phone can upgrade each year. If that's so, I wouldn't need it for the 2nd year.

Am I missing anything with this thinking?

21. shawn487

shawn487 Well-Known Member

Best Buy will swap out your phone for a loaner while it is sent in to be fixed/replaced. I also believe they need a credit card/bank card to put the loaner on then it would be refunded when the loaner is returned. I say go with the insurance from verizon or the other one everyone has been talking about

22. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

there should be another option in the poll "Insurance is the biggest waste of money on the planet, I just choose to take care of my things like an adult"

23. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Well-Known Member

No insurance for me. I'm a pretty careful person and I've never accidentally done anything to a phone in the 5 years or so I've had one. Also, I guess I could always go back to my htc touch as a backup. Beats having to pay $600 for a phone (or insurance+deductible) imo.

24. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I dont' think it's a waste of money at all, $6 a month and a $90 deductible so if 9months down the road I decided to drop my phone in a pitcher of beer or I get drunk and lose the phone and need another one it's only costing me $144 for a replacement . You can't even get a used Eris for $144 right now , now if you are someone who is very careful with there things then yeah maybe you don't need. I on the other hand am the type of person who is not easy on anything he owns and constantly breaks things by not being carefull sometimes I'm just too busy enjoying life to worry about my phone hence why I pay $6 a month for insurance so I don't have to worrry about my phones and I always have a backup phone which in a couple weeks will be my Eris

so for me its not "will I use my insurance it's when"

25. scoobysnack

scoobysnack Well-Known Member

QFT. The insurance back in the day on Cell Phones was awesome. Hmmm don't like your phone?? Smash it and get a new one overnighted to you! That was a method that someone that I know used to do back in the day lol! Hence the reason today why the insurance policy's suck for the most part =(