• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will you be getting Asurion Insurance w/ your Incredible?

Insurance for you Incredible?

• Yes, with Verizon/Asurion.

Votes: 342 65.0%
  • Yes, with SquareTrade

Votes: 20 3.8%
  • Yes, with other 3rd-party insurance

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • No insurance at all.

Votes: 154 29.3%

• Total voters
Has anyone thought about the squaretrade warranty? I took a look yesterday and it was 144 for 2 years with a 50 deductible plus it covers accident but not stolen or lost

How do you get to select the squaretrade warranty? I think on the vzw website you get options -
no insurance - 0.00
extended warranty 1.99/month
asurion - 6.00/month
total coverage - 7.99/month (which seems to be extended warranty+asurion)

Upvote 0
Yes, how long is the regular warranty? Is the extended warranty only available at Best Buy? How long is it for?
Extended Warranty

This service provides convenient coverage against any mechanical or electrical malfunctions and manufacturer defects. If your wireless phone is defective or becomes inoperable, just visit any Verizon Wireless Communications Store or call (866) 406-5154 and the phone will be exchanged for an identical or comparable model. The low price for the extended warranty is charged directly to your Verizon Wireless bill each month

Asurion Wireless Phone Protection (WPP), Advanced Devices

Asurion Wireless Phone Protection (WPP)*
Asurion

Upvote 0
So my sister is about to buy her first Smartphone - which just so happens to be the HTC Incredible - and asked me a few questions. I suggested she come over to AF because its better to get multiple opinions rather than one person's opinion. She was intimidated so I'm proving to her that AF is easy, friendly and fun. Help prove me right!

Her questions:

• should i get the extended warranty or the Asurion Wireless Phone Protection (WPP), Advanced Devices
  • and how about visual voicemail??
We're both going to get the phone and are wondering if we can somehow sweeten our deal with a Family Plan. I have NO experience with Family Plans and am rather clueless.

I bought a Droid on launch day and renewed my contract then. She is using "new every two" for her Incredible. Anyone have a brilliant plan or is it pretty much stick with the individual plan by the book.

I went with the Asurion insurance when i got my Droid Eris. When i had my blackberry i declined it and never had a problem but i enjoy going to a lot of rock concerts and am often in the pit. Being that your dealing with an all glass/plastic touch screen i think it's worth it (in my case at least) in case the phone gets crushed if i get dropped to the ground.

Now once Rock on The Range and a few other shows are over i may cancel it. But for the few bucks more a month it's a nice piece of mind.

Upvote 0
OK, I see the Personal Articles insurance on State Farm's website. You pasted what it covers and I don't see any mention of the cell phone. So why people think their cell phone is covered under this insurance? I thought it was pretty obvious if the item is removed from your home it wouldn't be covered. Personal Articles is still considered part of your homeowners insurance.

Thats fine, I'm not going to argue with you.

You talked to your guy, he said no. I talked to mine, he said yes. Everyone else can talk to theirs and see what the response is.

Bottom line, if it will work for you, it is better than the insurance that verizon offers.

That is why I even said anything. If you have the option, great. If not, then you still have other choices. Just trying to give another option.

Upvote 0
Thats fine, I'm not going to argue with you.

You talked to your guy, he said no. I talked to mine, he said yes. Everyone else can talk to theirs and see what the response is.

Bottom line, if it will work for you, it is better than the insurance that verizon offers.

That is why I even said anything. If you have the option, great. If not, then you still have other choices. Just trying to give another option.

My wife and I got a "rider" policy for her engagement/wedding rings (which leave the house everyday). It costs us to the tune of about $6/year for full replacement of the $2.5k set. I'd assume that the same could be done for a cellular phone for like $2/year.

Simply awesome. Glad to hear your insurance company has no issues, I will be finding out about it this week with my insurance company and I'll report back. We're with Farm Bureau.

Upvote 0
Phone insurance is a ripoff. They can get refurbed phones at 15% of retail cost and then turn around and act like their doing you a favor. Sure it's peace of mind for you but remember they are a business like any other company and a very profitable one. They should offer a percentage back if you never file a claim. The amount of actual claims they payout compared to the amount of accounts that never require insurance companies to do anything but deposit your money in their account is ridiculous.

Upvote 0
Phone insurance is a ripoff. They can get refurbed phones at 15% of retail cost and then turn around and act like their doing you a favor.

No WAY?! A company getting rich off of customers? Get outta here!!!

If you live your life worried about this kind of thing... you will never buy a car, groceries, heck, you might stop flushing the toilet if you knew what it cost the water company as apposed to what they charge you...

Upvote 0
My wife and I got a "rider" policy for her engagement/wedding rings (which leave the house everyday). It costs us to the tune of about $6/year for full replacement of the $2.5k set. I'd assume that the same could be done for a cellular phone for like $2/year.

Simply awesome. Glad to hear your insurance company has no issues, I will be finding out about it this week with my insurance company and I'll report back. We're with Farm Bureau.

Engagement rings last a lot longer than cell phones. Oh wait, I guess not.

But really, the cost of insurance isn't just dependent on the worth of the insured article, but also the likelihood of a claim. Think homeowners' insurance vs. car insurance.

Upvote 0
Anyone go for this option while preordering

Total Equipment Coverage (WPP + Extended Warranty), Advanced
Devices $7.99

Curious to know what is the difference between this one and Asurion?
My understanding is that without the Extended Warranty; after the first year, if it has minor defects you'd have to pay a deductible to have it replaced rather than swapped OTF?

If anyone can shed more light into this, I'd appreciate it as well.

If it was up to me, I'd get either SquareTrade or Asurion.

Upvote 0
Anyone go for this option while preordering

Total Equipment Coverage (WPP + Extended Warranty), Advanced
Devices $7.99

Curious to know what is the difference between this one and Asurion?

If you loose it, break it, drop it in the toilet, etc, you need to go through Asurion no matter what.
But with the extended warranty ($7.99), if the phone just stops working or starts acting up, you can just take it to Verizon and they will swap it... even after the year. Could be 4 years down the line (if you still had it).
I've used this in the past and it saved me the deductible.
However, Verizon will still give you a refurbished if they have one.

At the time I had a Samsung Alias that had been acting up... and they pulled out a refurb from the back:mad:

Reactions: tifozi
Upvote 0
Ill probably be going with the Best Buy option which allows you to pay everything up front. It will cost $170 with a $0 deductible, last two years, and will provide you with a brand new phone should anything happen. Its about a dollar more a month than the Asurion option, but actually much cheaper if you take into account there is no deductible.

Upvote 0
First of all - I'd like to highly highly recommend no one gets Best Buy insurance ($10a month). Please don't. Please!!

Hehe. Funny thing is - I am #1 on my list at my Best Buy and will be telling them no way jose. If you read the reviews, you have to send in your phone and don't get it back for about a month. You have to put $150 down to have a crappy phone for a month so you are wasting $30 already on not having a data plan.

It does not cover loss or theft. And it only covers partial water damage. You heard me right! I went into depth with the manager on this because I procure medical equipment so I know how to grill. He said that if it is just dropped into a puddle and picked up, then they can fix it. However, if it falls in a pool and the water gets all the way into the way interiors of the circuitry, you are not covered. It is the worst plan you could possibly ever get.

However, I'm still getting my phone there because I like getting my phone in person in case it doesn't work and i am #1 on the list.

I don't know if I am getting insurance at all. 6 or 8 a month plus 89? Wow that adds up quick friends.

Now may I ask you this - what is to stop anyone from reporting their phone lost, receiving a new one, and then canceling the insurance plan, thus having 2 HTC incredible phones for $199+$6+$6(if done on month 2)+$89=$300. Sell one for $400 as brand new and you just made $100 dollars on purchasing the best phone on the market.. This must be done all the time.

Upvote 0
Now may I ask you this - what is to stop anyone from reporting their phone lost, receiving a new one, and then canceling the plan, thus having 2 HTC incredible phones for $199+$6+$6(if done on month 2)+$89=$300. Sell one for $400 as brand new and you just made $100 dollars on purchasing the best phone on the market.. This must be done all the time.

What's to stop me from walking in to a local gas station, shooting everyone inside, and taking all their money?

If you wanna steal, there's always ways.

Upvote 0
what is to stop anyone from reporting their phone lost, receiving a new one, and then canceling the insurance plan, thus having 2 HTC incredible phones for $199+$6+$6(if done on month 2)+$89=$300. Sell one for $400 as brand new and you just made $100 dollars on purchasing the best phone on the market.. This must be done all the time.

Easy..they will blacklist the original phones ESN thus making it useless. It cant be activated.

Upvote 0
Now may I ask you this - what is to stop anyone from reporting their phone lost, receiving a new one, and then canceling the insurance plan, thus having 2 HTC incredible phones for $199+$6+$6(if done on month 2)+$89=$300. Sell one for $400 as brand new and you just made $100 dollars on purchasing the best phone on the market.. This must be done all the time.

first off the original phone is blacklist, you'll get maybe $200 for it. Your plan is a waste of time, insurance fraud, waste of a 2 year contact ect. You're better off buying the droid for $19 or $29 whatever it's at and sell it for $350, you skip the insurance fraud, and it's totally legal. that's if your looking to make money, if your looking to make money off your incredible and keeping it, then good luck

Upvote 0
first off the original phone is blacklist, you'll get maybe $200 for it. Your plan is a waste of time, insurance fraud, waste of a 2 year contact ect. You're better off buying the droid for $19 or $29 whatever it's at and sell it for $350, you skip the insurance fraud, and it's totally legal. that's if your looking to make money, if your looking to make money off your incredible and keeping it, then good luck

My plan? So quick to judge calm down. I don't care to hassle with fraud.

I was just inducing conversation and learning about the insurance process how it works exactly.

Anyways, I pick up my Incredible on the 29th and I'm still not sure if the insurance is worth it after the 90 deductible.. Maybe I'll just do it for 3-4 months like the previous gentleman noted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones