• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Will you buy the Nexus 5?

Phones with non-removable batteries simulate a battery yank by holding the power button for about 15-20 seconds. The non-removable battery is what will permit wireless charging capabilities.

Ok, thanks for the explanation. Wireless charging would be nice, and as long as that 15-20 second power button hold works, the Nexus 5 is still sounding pretty good.

Upvote 0
I see you list your carrier as Verizon. If you were to get the Nexus 5, you would need to change carriers.

Yeah, I'm considering switching to T-Mobile for that. They have a $30/month plan for 100 hours of talk, unlimited text and 5GB of 4G data, and I could buy the Nexus 5 directly from Google.

I'm in the Los Angeles area and based on their coverage map I should be ok. And I have WiFi at home, and work and most people's homes that I go to regularly. I'd lose my unlimited data but I'm sure Verizon is itching to take that away as soon as they can anyway.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm considering switching to T-Mobile for that. They have a $30/month plan for 100 hours of talk, unlimited text and 5GB of 4G data, and I could buy the Nexus 5 directly from Google.

I'm in the Los Angeles area and based on their coverage map I should be ok. And I have WiFi at home, and work and most people's homes that I go to regularly. I'd lose my unlimited data but I'm sure Verizon is itching to take that away as soon as they can anyway.

It's the plan I'm using with my Nexus 4 and it's quite awesome if you don't use a lot of minutes. LTE and 100MB of tethering are included in the package as well. If you're in LA, I imagine LTE coverage must be pretty decent there.

Upvote 0
It's kind of funny because US Cellular doesn't even exist where I live. No presence whatsoever.

But Verizon does. USCC and VZW share their towers as far as I can tell.

I live in a USCC home area. If I use my zip code to shop online with Verizon, they tell me they don't offer service here. But I get good service and my bill still gets mailed to this zip code.

Upvote 0
But Verizon does. USCC and VZW share their towers as far as I can tell.

I live in a USCC home area. If I use my zip code to shop online with Verizon, they tell me they don't offer service here. But I get good service and my bill still gets mailed to this zip code.

They do have pretty solid roaming/sharing agreements, better than most. But they do actually own towers in the Midwest from what I've been told.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The 50$ one would be pretty good for myself. I just don't know if it's worth it, I have never really been unhappy with my services at Verizon, I just wish it were a little cheaper :p

Could always give Straight Talk on AT&T towers a whirl. Unlimited minutes, Unlimited texting and about 1.5-2.5GB of data for $45. They even have LTE now. Their customer service isn't stellar though, and their TOS are worse than Verizon. :eek:

Upvote 0
Nexus 5 has been ordered and shipping as of this post. Since I've done some tweaking with my Nexus 10, I'm use to having a non-removable battery and 16GB on-board storage.

No Vzw. No removable battery. No SD card slot. No 64gb. No sale. I went with GS4 dev edition & 64gb card. Kept my unlimited & now on Hyperdrive custom rom.

If you don't mind me asking....

What are you doing that requires a 64GB card?

Upvote 0
Nexus 5 has been ordered and shipping as of this post. Since I've done some tweaking with my Nexus 10, I'm use to having a non-removable battery and 16GB on-board storage.

I don't know what he is doing but when I had a rooted phone with an unlocked bootloader 32gb wasn't enough to hold all my roms and backups. Every rom is a gb or more.

Reactions: wtherrell
Upvote 0

Music, pix (grandkids mostly) Nandroids, tibu backups, apps data, office suite files, rom & kernel downloads, some games, some ebooks. I have 23.8gb left on the 64GB card and 6.9gb left in internal storage on my GS4.

Upvote 0
I don't know what he is doing but when I had a rooted phone with an unlocked bootloader 32gb wasn't enough to hold all my roms and backups. Every rom is a gb or more.

AOSP roms aren't that large, roms are generally 150-200MB and gapps are about 150MB. Touchwiz roms for Samsung devices are quite bloated which would account for the large rom size.

Upvote 0
Music, pix (grandkids mostly) Nandroids, tibu backups, apps data, office suite files, rom & kernel downloads, some games, some ebooks. I have 23.8gb left on the 64GB card and 6.9gb left in internal storage on my GS4.

Ah, thanks for putting that into perspective. Do you have any offline backups of some of these files?

There are at least 5 people over on XDA that trying an already activated Verizon sim on the N5 they ordered. Just like the LTE N7. I think two of them are supposed to get one on tomorrow?

Will it work? Probably not. Never hurts to try though.

Anyone on Verizon going to try the N5 with their sim card? - xda-developers

It possible since the LTE band is included in the radio, but you would only get data and no voice since the CDMA band is not included.

Upvote 0
My wife currently has the N4 on T-Mobile and wherever we've gone, she's had reception that is for the most part, faster and better than mine. There are a couple times where I got reception and she didn't, and when I didn't have any, neither did she. We don't go out to the middle of the wilderness very often, so T-Mobile seems like a great choice for us in the Bay Area.

Our trip down south to LA, Orange County, and Palm Springs also resulted in great coverage for her. Just wanted to put that out there in case people were wondering how coverage is in certain areas.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones