Will you ever buy another HTC product?

1. Shady Pete

Shady Pete Well-Known Member

I know everyone is tired of the Hero Froyo threads, but since we're for sure not getting it, there is no need for speculation. My question is after this will you ever buy another HTC product? Lets be honest, it wouldnt take much to augment Froyo for the Hero, especially since they are releasing it for the Evo, which also uses a CDMA radio. But HTC/Sprint doesn't care at all. I personally will never buy another HTC product, because after less than a year, they probably won't support it anymore. Whats your opinion?

Advertisement
  2. Neo31697

Neo31697 Member

I am another one for sure that will never buy another HTC. The phone from day one has had nothing but problems. From chipping paint on the end key, dust under the screen, to keyboard lag and phone lag... the list goes on. Now we get 2.1 the fix all cure all and it makes the phone even worse. Now they tell us less then a year later no 2.2. Fine I understand the hardware limitations trust me i do but fix the phone. On top of 2.1 HTC has to put there sence on top with not giving the basic fetures of 2.1. Voice to text, New lock screen, etc without us using apps to get them.
    Do you hear how stupid that sounds we have to use apps to get the basic 2.1.
    So for that and so many other reasons HTC will never see another hard earned American dollar of mine. I just wonder what would happen if other bussiness where run like this.
  3. Hemlox

Hemlox Well-Known Member

Yes I would. I am running stock 2.1 and have no problems with my Hero. I have no lag, battery lasts more than one day, everything works as it should. I would by another HTC phone down the road, but for now I am enjoying my Hero.
  4. EgeBamyasi

EgeBamyasi Well-Known Member

I will certainly take caution in future HTC purchases. I've said I'd never buy another product from a certain brand before and years later I do.
    But for the immediate future, and until I hear about something extraordinary from HTC, I'll stay clear.
  5. dpeeps74

dpeeps74 Well-Known Member

i would buy another HTC phone. this is my 3rd HTC phone. i don't really have any issue with the hero. it works well enough for me. could it be better? sure. it could also have windows mobile and then REALLY suck. I would like to hope that it's become fairly clear that to compete with an android phone, you will need some decent hardware specs behind it. and even when you get them, you'll still see issues, and fixes that don't fix those issues, etc. that's the nature of phones in general these days. but saying you will never buy another HTC? i'm pretty sure if you had gone with a samsung moment, you'd hate it more...or a palm pre, etc.
  6. kassdog

kassdog Well-Known Member

I will definitely will buy another htc phone. They make amazing phone software. Every phone is going to have problems.
  7. revtime

revtime Well-Known Member

HELL YES. I have been very happy with the 2 Heros I have. One on 1.5 and one on 2.1. Have I had some issues? Sure, but they were small and easily worked through.
    My room mate has the hero on 1.5 and she has no plans to upgrade. If it hadn't been for me however she would probably be complaining about never buying an HTC phone again.
    I think Apple has a good point that there are a very large group of people that shouldn't have a very customizable smart phone, Apple will hold your hand and feed you an easy to use device.
    Android devices on the other hand are very much hands on, you figure out what works best for you and you figure out how to implement what works best.
    Its not for everyone.

As for 2.2, it will be able to run on the Hero, you just have to figure out how to implement it. :rolleyes:
  8. mplsnst

mplsnst Active Member

Well, I never for a minute expected the Hero to get 2.2 officially, so that's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. And certainly the Hero's been far from perfect, but I wouldn't write off further HTC purchases based on it. If my contract was ending soon, for instance, I'd get a Droid Incredible in a heartbeat. I've spent time playing with a friend's Incredible, and that's a very solid piece of gadgetry.
  9. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

yep, I'd buy another HTC phone.. My Hero runs great..does everything I want it to do and more.. I can have the Vanilla lock screen IF I want it by simply flashing an update... that's ONE of the benefits to being rooted.. another is.. Cyanogen is porting FroYo to the Hero..
  10. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

Despite the problems I've had, I absolutely love my phone. I think as far as quality goes, maybe not so much with this particular device, Htc is among the greatest. Those of you who complain about updates/support keep in mind this was one of the first real android phones, Android as a whole is exploding in popularity as it is somewhat new. I believe Htc is just struggling to stay ahead of the game with hardware and just don't have the time to keep our phones up to date. I'm sure in the future it will go much better as Android will eventually slow in growth and companies like Htc will have more time and knowledge to sink into year old devices.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
  11. Guitardoc64

Guitardoc64 Well-Known Member

I'm happy with mine. It's my fourth HTC phone and I've had no hardware problems. I just got it, and I feel its a solid build. No Froyo from Sprint? So what. There wasn't WinMob 6.5 update for the HTC Touch I used for 2 years either. It didn't stop me. That's what forums like this one, PPCGeeks and xda are all about. I'll have 2.2 on my Hero, and when the 3.0 HTC whatever comes out next year, I'll consider it.
  12. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

The only complaint I have about the Hero is that it's outdated, but that's not the fault of HTC or anyone else.

Will I buy another HTC, sure!
  13. Lozer_Kid

Lozer_Kid Well-Known Member

HTC products are great, the only problem ive had its the laginnes, but it keeps getting better so id def buy more products from thema! :D
  14. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

I would absolutely buy another HTC phone. I love my Hero even with it's little imperfections. :)
  15. Polo63119

Polo63119 Well-Known Member

i would purchase HTC again.
    i came from the blackberry world and BY FAR
    the HTC Hero is superior in every single aspect.

i enjoy my Hero and prolly will use my premier reward to upgrade to EVO -simply for newer OS and bigger screen.
  16. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

Yes, I would buy another HTC product. I really hope that they make a dual core phone and offer it through Sprint before my upgrade is eligible next March. (and that it is not as huge as the Evo)
  17. wodin6

wodin6 Well-Known Member

People wouldn't be crying about not getting Froyo if Google never created it...

Is it HTC's fault that Android moves ahead this quickly? What if, like Apple, google came out with 1 update a year? It hasn't been a year and therefore you would have had no fixes for your phone by now. Be happy you got any.
  18. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

Hmm, the big choice would be between HTC, Motorola, and Samsung, since those are the big 3 phone manufacturers for android. Samsung seems to build phones that look good on paper, but are buggy and not supported (and feel like crap). Motorola, I just don't like. And HTC seems to build durable phones, and actually support the majority of them until they're out of date (which doesn't take long with ANY phone).

So yes, I'd buy an HTC phone again. I wouldn't buy one the minute it comes out, as I'd rather let other people work out the bugs and find all the hardware problems that need to be fixed (as with any other phone made by anyone else). Much like the Evo, I won't get until October, because by then the manufacturing defects will be worked out, it'll be upgraded a bit, and the dev community will be way above where it already is.
  19. Squiggy

Squiggy Well-Known Member

I'd buy another HTC phone, absolutely. The amount of entertainment, organization and efficiency this phone has brought me is unmatched by any other phone I've had. I think if I had the mentality that HTC owed me something after I bought a phone I had the spec's on at the time of purchase, then maybe I'd be misguidedly upset.
  20. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Guide

HTC rocks.. definitely will buy more of their products in the future
  21. A_Guy

A_Guy Active Member

The hero was my first Android phone...After using this I will switch contracts if necessary to use Google's phone, whatever it may be. It's just a cut above the rest of the android lineup.
  22. the CP

the CP Well-Known Member

Sorry for the long post.

This is my first smart phone, my first Android, and my first HTC. Before this, I'd had a Nokia, Kyocera, two Motorolas and 2 loaner LGs when my Motos died.

Of the phones I've had in the past...

Nokia's screen went dead. Phone still worked, just had no screen. This was 8 months in to a 2yr contract.

Kyocera's battery broke. The battery was the back cover, and the tabs that hold it in place snapped. 23 months into contract, scotch tape worked for a month.

Motorola #1 was my first phone with a camera, purchased in 2006. The USB port stopped functioning. Could not charge phone or transfer contacts. This happened 23 months in, borrowed my mother's old LG (she upgraded a few months prior).

LG#1 was stripped down flip phone that would make calls, send texts, and about nothing else. It lasted me the month it needed to.

Motorola #2 had buttons on the right side die. This means my contacts, "accept changes" button, end call, and right navigation button died. This was a year and a half into my contract. Fortunately, the insurance on the phone covered a replacement since my MFG warranty was gone.

LG#2 was another stripped down flip phone that I had as a loaner while Moto#2 was being replaced. Lasted the two weeks I needed it.

Motorola #2.5 was the replacement of #2, lasted 6 months until contract expired.

My Hero has been a great phone so far. Does it have its problems? Yes, but the fact is that aside from a bit of lag and short battery life, it does everything I ask it to, it's well made, and the software on it is head and shoulders above the other phones I've owned.

Am I ticked that we won't get 2.2 Official? Maybe. But only because I've not yet rooted. My phone has a single scratch on the menu key, and that's my fault. No other cosmetic damage. Based on that fact, yes I would consider another HTC.

I have 18 months with it still in contract so I have plenty of time to continue watching other companies and how they update their update schedules. I've already heard that Google will be cutting back to two updates a year, which should alleviate some of the stress on the OEMs to rush the updates. Time will tell what I get next, but HTC is a contender.

Whatever company, it'll be Android :)
  23. dksnet

dksnet Guest

Any phone is soon outdated by industry standards.(Moore's law)
    So I will almost bet that the EVO will lose it's appeal in less than a year.
    I agree with the CP. Android for me.

Also the majority of people pushed for 2.1 so we have to deal with what we get. Personally, I have not had any issues. I do miss the little droid waving at me at startup though. :)

Oh, YES for me also. HTC
  24. dominicanyor

dominicanyor Well-Known Member

Sure will they have great phones.
  25. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

They better make some major improvements in the future if they want me as a customer. I am not one to whine and bitch, and I don't care if my device is outdated.

However, I will whine and bitch when an upgrade is released that makes it impossible to do things with ease, like make a call (see call lag), type a text message (see keyboard lag), and f*ck up bluetooth.