Will you guys jump ship to the G2??

Last Updated:

1. atn_chargers

atn_chargers Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The G2 with its HSPA+ capability is very tempting. It can also capture 720P video, which is also pretty neat. Otherwise, everything else looks inferior to the N1. I'm kind of on the edge about this one.

Advertisement
  2. JP Money

JP Money Member

Doesn't the N1 get HSPA+? Maybe not the same speeds but my phone jumps between "H" and "3g." I assumed that meant I was getting HSPA+.

3. safeplayer22

safeplayer22 Well-Known Member

I use my phone mostly in the downtown area of NYC and I get d/l speed of about 2.5mb and upload of 1.5mb. i think I am already getting HSPA.

Since i am rooted and can record videos in 720p (although not TRUE 720p cause of the limited frame rate). I do not see anything in the G2 that has over the N1. Plus I don't like the physical kb due the fact that it can break.

4. Drhyde

Drhyde Well-Known Member

Right now I'm set up for $10 internet on T-Mobile. I'm not interested in another $20 to switch to the G2. I really only like the updated Adreno GPU, other than that, I'll pass. Now the myTouch HD, we'll see where that goes in the future.

5. atn_chargers

atn_chargers Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

T-Mobile said that the G2 is T-Zones compatible.

6. turbosol16

turbosol16 Well-Known Member

It is a very nice looking phone, but I don't think it is going to be much better than a n1. If I couldn't stand typing on a virtual kb I would upgrade. Going to wait for a big leap before I switch. The n1 is arguably still the best android phone available, doubt it will be much longer.

7. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

im good with my nex... i need something better to pull me away

8. snakeybidder

snakeybidder Well-Known Member

No way mate, Nex for me all the way ;)

9. Snazzy

Snazzy Well-Known Member

Swype has spoiled me, I will never have use for a physical KB again.

10. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

In a word ... nope.

11. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

No but I'm tempted by the Desire HD which I'd root and run CM on.

Only 50:50 on whether to get this device though. The N1 is still holding up really well.

12. Hegemony

Hegemony Well-Known Member

The N1 benefits from HSPA+ a little bit. Its radio is capable of 7.2Mbps down. The G2, on the other hand has a HSPA+ radio capable of 14.4Mbps down. Tmo's networks is capable of 21Mbps. I can get up to 4Mbps down on my N1 with HSPA+. So I figure the G2 would be about twice as fast.

JP Money likes this.
  13. JP Money

JP Money Member

^Gotcha. It is way better than my mytouch 3g, so no complaints from me.

14. defiantbeast

defiantbeast Well-Known Member

The only edge that the G2 has is the keyboard and the increased data speeds however i will hold of commenting on speeds until i see some real world testing of the 14mbps. It already looks like a nexus with a keyboard end result for me is to continue to ride it out with the N1 until something mind blowing comes along.

15. Talbot

Talbot Well-Known Member

No, I am quite happy with my N1 and have an attachment to it that I don't think I have had with another phone. Haha.

16. DellyBelly

DellyBelly Well-Known Member

Desire HD would be the only phone id give up for my Nexus; also everyone yells about the speeds, but I live in Philly where we get HSPA+ in some areas, but really at this point in time, theres very little I would even need that speed for.

By the time ill REALLY want true HSPA+ speeds ill be ready to retire my nexus one...so in about 6 months if not a little more.

17. ap3604

ap3604 Well-Known Member

No chance I switch from a Nexus One. I learned my lesson by trying to mess with a good thing and going with an Hd2.

Nexus One is the absolute best option for me right now which is why I came back to it.

Physical keyboard? Pass... I tried my friends Droid and actually type faster on my Nexus than using the physical keyboard on the Droid.

18. NunyaBidnez

NunyaBidnez Well-Known Member

Word has it that the G2 won't be equipped with the wifi hotspot capability. That in conjunction with the 800mhz processor makes it a less attractive alternative to the N1. The only benefits of the G2 over the N1 are the qwerty keyboard and 4gb internal storage. Personally I think 4gb and a qwerty keyboard aren't worth giving up all the benefits of my N1.

19. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Don't want a hardware keyboard, and don't want Sense. So no.

That and I'm not some sort of rich boy that gets a new

20. WarBird87

WarBird87 Well-Known Member

I have a Cliq now, and as much as i wanted the N1 i couldnt afford to pay $500 out of pocket to get one... i was able to get the G2 pre ordered for $200 so i feel its the next best thing to the N1, plus i like having the physical KB

21. NunyaBidnez

NunyaBidnez Well-Known Member

Considering that T-mobile offers the "Even More Plus" plan, you're paying on average $20 more per month on your service plan plus the $200 upfront for the phone when you sign a contract. Even if you bought the Nexus One with your credit card and paid it off over the course of 24 months; in the end your Nexus One would have been cheaper even with the interest rate your credit card company charges.

G2 costs: $200+($20x24months)=$680
    You're paying a $150 premium over the cost of a Nexus One when you purchase on contract. Thats like paying 22% in interest

cshih2 likes this.
  22. WarBird87

WarBird87 Well-Known Member

^ the plan i have on my contract is an old grandfathered in plan... its waaaaaaay cheaper than anything Tmo or any other provider offers now, thats some of the reason i have stayed with Tmo...

I dont Use "Credit Cards" and didnt have the $500 cash upfront to fork over for the N1... so the G2 W/2 year extension works fine for me...

23. turbosol16

turbosol16 Well-Known Member

I thought the G2 didn't have sense.

I am thinking about buying one for my wife, she likes my phone but wants a keyboard.

24. zillah

zillah Well-Known Member

Huh? There is nothing inferior about the G2. In all regards it is the same or better than the N1, with one exception that could be considered a deal breaker: it has a slide out keyboard.

I have become accustomed to the slim form factor the N1 has so the physical keyboard for me is an actual turnoff.

However, if T-mo ever comes out with something like this but resembles the N1 form factor I am on board when it comes time to get a new phone.

But the G2 certainly is nice. Wouldn't complain if I had it.

Edit: After reading thread I realized that the plan options and no wifi hotspot obviously puts the N1 on top, but I was commenting on the hardware and performance, rather than features.

25. zillah

zillah Well-Known Member

It has stock android. In fact, you get 7 home screens now instead of 5.

BTW, anyone know how I can get 7 home screens on my N1 without using a separate launcher? 7 home screens is niiiiice.