• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will You Purchase on Release Date?

OK, like many others here, using my daughters upgrade for my line.
I am getting this phone. Does anybody know if we can use the upgrade without the sim activation? I just want the phone so I can slide my Sim card in..honestly, I don't want them to be touching the phone anyway.

Kind of like ordering a new car from the factory, and when it arrives, the salesman gets to drive it first? Almost makes we want to order online. Don't want to wait though, want it Sunday

Upvote 0
OK, like many others here, using my daughters upgrade for my line.
I am getting this phone. Does anybody know if we can use the upgrade without the sim activation? I just want the phone so I can slide my Sim card in..honestly, I don't want them to be touching the phone anyway.

Kind of like ordering a new car from the factory, and when it arrives, the salesman gets to drive it first? Almost makes we want to order online. Don't want to wait though, want it Sunday

I should make this my sig. :)

AT&T doesn't care who has an upgrade as long as there is an upgrade on your plan. I know both Best Buy and Costco will happily do it for you. Its really not an issue. So you will be fine using your daughters upgrade.

Upvote 0
I should make this my sig. :)

AT&T doesn't care who has an upgrade as long as there is an upgrade on your plan. I know both Best Buy and Costco will happily do it for you. Its really not an issue. So you will be fine using your daughters upgrade.

Thanks, but that's not my question.
I Am buying the phone
I Am using the upgrade
I want to know if they have to physically activate the phone,
as in - opening box, inserting SIM card, etc..

I just want the phone. In the box. Unopened.

Upvote 0
I Am buying the phone
I Am using the upgrade

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, they do have to open it. I know, it sucks - most techies would MUCH rather be the first person outside of the factory that birthed it to fondle their new gadget. But I think they have to activate it on the network before you walk out of the store. Which obviously makes no sense since AT&T will ship you a sealed box and let you slap in your own SIM and call in on your own, but expecting logic out of retailers is asking too much.

Upvote 0
I Am buying the phone
I Am using the upgrade

AT&T phones do not have to be "activated." Just open the box and pop in your SIM. The new phone will come w/ a new SIM, do not activate it because it will zap whatever SIM card belonged to the line that was upgraded.

Upvote 0

AT&T phones do not have to be "activated." Just open the box and pop in your SIM. The new phone will come w/ a new SIM, do not activate it because it will zap whatever SIM card belonged to the line that was upgraded.

Then you have to buy it online. Pepe is correct that GSM phones do not "have to be activated" however if you go to an ATT store, Costco or any retail store they will activate them, no option. If you buy it online you get a sealed box and activate it yourself. You may find an exception or 2 for some people who get a dumb rep but that is the "rule."

Only if you pay FULL RETAIL (no contract) at AT&T will they just hand you the sealed box.

Upvote 0
I Am buying the phone
I Am using the upgrade

Yeah i am pretty sure they DO NOT have to open it. Plus, if you can wait till you get home and activate it and then turn on your Wi-fi, you won't use the 200+ or so MB it takes installing all the updates and market aps.... i know i'll be askin' them to keep their grubby paws off of mine...lol

BTC

Upvote 0
Oddly enough, the person I talked to at Target was the most helpful. She offered to call me as soon as she gets a box of them in (including tomorrow). She took my name and number and sounded excited about them herself. :)

Edit to add that not one single person/place I've talked to today other than AT&T has pricing on the SGSII yet. Nobody knows what they're selling them for. That seems strange.

Upvote 0
Spent a couple hours this afternoon doing recon work all along the consumer-mecca nearest me.

Wal-Mart: Knew what it was, thought they would have it tomorrow, but didn't have any in yet. Said the price would be either $150 or $200, whatever price the AT&T store had it for (er, right ...).

Radio Shack: 1 in stock, $200.

AT&T: Wouldn't divulge numbers on hand, $200.

Fry's (because I never pass up an excuse to go to Fry's): Won't have the phone for at least a couple of weeks, but it should be $50-$100 cheaper than everyone else then (although the prices on the phones they had out weren't that much cheaper than everyone else's).

Best Buy: Should have them tomorrow, but didn't have them in stock yet (gave me a card to call them and check tomorrow).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones