• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will you still buy the evo with the additional $10 monthly charge?

Will you still buy the evo

• Yes

Votes: 133 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 37 20.2%
  • Other

Votes: 13 7.1%

• Total voters
How does the extra $10 work with a family plan? I have 3 people on my family plan - 2 blackberry's and I will be upgrading from a Pre to an Evo (hopefully). Do I pay that extra $10 on mine only, or is that for all 3 users?

$10 per EVO.

So in your case $10 on yours only.

If your other two lines decide to get an EVO also, then that will be $30.

Upvote 0
While I'm not doubting the warnings exist, has anyone actually received a warning about excessive data usage, going through their cell phone? I've read numerous people who consistently use over 5GB a month, or did for a long period of time, and there have been no consequences. Maybe they are lucky, but I would think I'd be reading about people receiving warnings.

Either way, viva la 4G!!!!

Warnings are one of the options but I don't know of anyone that's ever had it happen. On the other hand, lots of people out there disputing excessively high data charges. That's why the recent FCC plan to help consumers control high charges through some notice/acknowledgement process is underway.

I think the warning piece only existed because it leaves the impression that you'll get some type of gentle reminder rather than a shocking bill.

Upvote 0
I wish they didnt charge the extra $10 but oh well. What matters is when I purchase this thing.....I'll be carrying the greatest phone ever created. Plus 199 is a real steal for a phone like this.

And a few months later another "greatest phone that was ever created" will be released by someone and the EVO won't look as nice. Even though it will still be a kick ass beast.

Sprint is taking advantage of the hype surrounding this phone.

Upvote 0
Don't forget, Sprint needed to add subcribers so $10 is the lowest hurdle they could think of that would get people to come aboard or stay. I hope it's the low watermark for any 4G intros because you can bet other carriers are not happy Sprint didn't charge more for their 4G. With the premiums being paid now on VZW and ATT for 3G devices and CEOs on record saying they want to see more and higher prices for tiered data, I'd love to be in their meetings as they launch LTE and devices thinking uh-oh remember what Sprint did. And by then, I hope Sprint's done this with a few more devices and exerted some downward pressure. Might not happen, but that's what I hope.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
you and others who primarily use gvoice for texting are nowhere close to being the masses. You are an extreme minority and thus don't count in the decision making process. Those of us on these forums are a minority in general if you compared the # of smartphone owners that do and do not utilize forums. We just tend to be the most vocal.
You know I really don't think you should be adding in txt plans for these lines. The value it has to someone who has access to Google voice and an Android phone is basically nill.

I know the "unlimited texting" that Sprint offers doesn't even factor into the value of the plan for me. It's a completely worthless feature.

Upvote 0
Gonna vote no since 4G infrastructure is cheaper than 3G and also I don't want to pay $10 more for extra crap like HD streaming etc.. I want to browse the web, stay connected on social networks. It's not like I'm going to use the phone like my computer to download crap.

Going to wait to for the Galaxy S now and see how that price comes out to be on a US carrier.

Upvote 0
Gonna vote no since 4G infrastructure is cheaper than 3G and also I don't want to pay $10 more for extra crap like HD streaming etc.. I want to browse the web, stay connected on social networks. It's not like I'm going to use the phone like my computer to download crap.

Going to wait to for the Galaxy S now and see how that price comes out to be on a US carrier.

Im willing to bet sprints slaps the 10 bucks on that too and all of their high end phones!!!

Upvote 0

If it comes out on VZW or ATT, you're going to pay more. If it's TMo, could be a possibility, but TMo 3G has a significantly smaller footprint than others.

Upvote 0
How would it be more? The phone price or the plan or both? I'm sure the phone price will be $200 with contract and $30 data plan.

The Galaxy S on Verizon/AT&T would be $89.99 per month, while the Evo will still be $79.99 (even including its new charge).

So have fun on another network by paying more to them to prove a point.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Data on the phone is unlimited, and has been that way for a while. The air cards/mifi units are capped at 5GB (for 3G only). I haven't heard of anyone getting shut down by sprint for using more than 5GB of data/month with their phone. So, I'm not sure what the "uncapping" charge is for...it has to be for 4G. They are just spinning it a different way.

I thought I remembered reading tons of people being "let go" from Sprint a few years ago... not sure, it could have been roaming and not simply data. But, the biggest problem with Sprint is that if it does switch to roaming (does that here in the city, let alone down the highway) you have a limit of 300mb data...if they allow data there (which the Sprint store here said they do not allow just outside the city on the highway where there are no Sprint towers -- so no navigation app).

...The never-ending rate-creep is what irritates me. Every year things go up another $5-10 even as the cost of building out the systems drops...

Amen!

Upvote 0
And a few months later another "greatest phone that was ever created" will be released by someone and the EVO won't look as nice. Even though it will still be a kick ass beast.

Sprint is taking advantage of the hype surrounding this phone.

I'm not worried about that. In life there will always be bigger and better things. I'll be more than happy with this phone for the next year or two.

Upvote 0
I can understand the people in a non-4G city being upset about the charge for 4G...that doesn't make sense. I'm in a 4G city, and plan on getting the Evo. It will only add $7.50/mo to my plan (I have a 25% discount, through work).

Has it been confirmed that these kind of discounts apply to the $10 EVO fee?

Makes sense if it would, but for instance they don't apply to the some plans already.

Upvote 0
The Galaxy S on Verizon/AT&T would be $89.99 per month, while the Evo will still be $79.99 (even including its new charge).

So have fun on another network by paying more to them to prove a point.

Well, I'm paying $40-42 with tax a month for 400 Minutes w/ rollover and 200 txt with AT&T. So yeah it won't be $90 with a data plan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones