• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will you still buy the evo with the additional $10 monthly charge?

Will you still buy the evo

• Yes

Votes: 133 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 37 20.2%
  • Other

Votes: 13 7.1%

• Total voters
yes, I'm going to buy it.

the argument I don't understand is the comparison of prices between Verizon and Sprint. it should not be that surprising or amazing that Sprint is less expensive. I have great Sprint service in my area, but Sprint should be cheaper than Verizon just for the simple fact they have much less coverage (besides roaming).

Also, to the people who have the Simple Everything plan, is 450 minutes plus FREE mobile-to-mobile on Sprint not enough minutes? I think your plan would be $79.99 for the Evo.

Upvote 0
There have been some rumors from my business guy about the goal for all new premier phones to be 4g. So if that's the case, it'll be $10 or nothing.

Though it's funny, people are so loud and boisterous here, yet the people here barely make up a fraction of the overall market. So it's not the question of "is Sprint listening" it's "do you realize your voice here is carries no weight?"
Im willing to bet sprints slaps the 10 bucks on that too and all of their high end phones!!!

Upvote 0
many don't realize. I talk about 2000 or so minutes per month and I've not had an overage minute charge yet on the 450 plan. Though I'm sure I would have on any of similar plans on the other carriers.
Also, to the people who have the Simple Everything plan, is 450 minutes plus FREE mobile-to-mobile on Sprint not enough minutes? I think your plan would be $79.99 for the Evo.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys, new to the Forum. Thinking about getting the EVO and dropping my Pre but I spoke to a Sprint rep for radioshack and asked him about $10 charge on a Family Plan and for what he understands it will be charged on ALL lines. I have 4 lines = $40 more a month for 1 EVO. I asked him if that sounded right to him and he said this might change later before release or maybe not. It"s like you guys said, removing the cap on Data, 3g/4G.
This is a deal breaker for me.

Upvote 0
There have been some rumors from my business guy about the goal for all new premier phones to be 4g. So if that's the case, it'll be $10 or nothing.

Though it's funny, people are so loud and boisterous here, yet the people here barely make up a fraction of the overall market. So it's not the question of "is Sprint listening" it's "do you realize your voice here is carries no weight?"

So whats your point? Im on a forum giving my opinion about a phone with others who have the same interest in the phone. Its a forum for discussion, you heard my voice, so I am being heard.

PS I voice my opinon to sprint via a different communication. I voice my opinion here not for sprint but for other users like myself. It seems to be working as intended!

Upvote 0
many don't realize. I talk about 2000 or so minutes per month and I've not had an overage minute charge yet on the 450 plan. Though I'm sure I would have on any of similar plans on the other carriers.

Consider it a plus for now. I'm pretty sure carriers won't go back to charge for each time they miss this, but if you used it they have a right to charge you and say it was a systems error that's been corrected. Nonetheless if you used the minutes, you could still be on the hook for it. Of course local and state laws will govern how far back you could be assessed, but don't think just because they haven't that legally they can't.

If it never happens, good for you though. Small wins mean a lot.

Upvote 0
So I'm planning to buy the EVO still but only because the plan with the $10 fee is cheaper than my current AT&T plan.

Personally I'm not real happy about the somewhat sneaky way this fee was put forward. Honestly they should have come out and announced an EVO Everything plan starting at $79.99 and compared it to the other carriers at $89.99 and said "Hey here's the best phone at the best speed at the best price" and be done with it.

Nobody likes surprises which is what this fee is given all the questions and concerns being voiced.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys, new to the Forum. Thinking about getting the EVO and dropping my Pre but I spoke to a Sprint rep for radioshack and asked him about $10 charge on a Family Plan and for what he understands it will be charged on ALL lines. I have 4 lines = $40 more a month for 1 EVO. I asked him if that sounded right to him and he said this might change later before release or maybe not. It"s like you guys said, removing the cap on Data, 3g/4G.
This is a deal breaker for me.

again you are not being charge per line or per plan or for any data use, this is a phone only charge. So if you have 1 Evo you get charge 10$. If you have 3 Evos you get charge 30$.

Upvote 0
Just spoke to sprint. The $10 extra is for the 4G service. If its not in your area don't pay for it as it is optional.

So many contradictory statements made by Sprint employees. They weren't 100% ready for this. How on earth would Sprint justify some people not paying but some people are when they have no way to block anyone from getting 4G signal as far as I know? For example NJ's out of coverage, but you could be close enough to Philly or live in PA but buy Evo in NJ with an NJ area code if that's what you currently have and pay $0 extra.

I live between Philly and NYC but spend a decent amount of time in both places. Just don't see why Sprint would allow me to pay $0 but people literally 10 miles south and west of me still in NJ would have to pay? That's why I think there's some misquoting going on.:thinking:

Upvote 0
I was kinda pissed about the 10 bones, but not enough to keep me from being the first one at BB today and pre ordered 2. Good news is that I called Sprint today and my wife's work gets 20% off, so that will make up for the $10 each evo fee. The Sprint rep also told me that the $10 fee was an option for a richer data experiance How much is cell phone tax on the $129?

Upvote 0
Definitely not cheaper for me. I'm on a family plan (2 lines), and was planning on only adding data to one line. Apparently you can't do this with Sprint, so I'm stuck with $130 for the everything data plan + $10 for one EVO. $140 total.

Compare this to Verizon, where I can get a $70 Talk plan + $10 x 2 (500 msgs) + $30 (data) = $120.

On top of this... I don't even have 3G coverage at my home. I use an Airave at home and a wireless connection at work, so... this $10/month charge is for what exactly? I'm using WiFi connections 90% of the time...

I guess I'll be getting an Incredible instead.

Upvote 0
I was kinda pissed about the 10 bones, but not enough to keep me from being the first one at BB today and pre ordered 2. Good news is that I called Sprint today and my wife's work gets 20% off, so that will make up for the $10 each evo fee. The Sprint rep also told me that the $10 fee was an option for a richer data experince How much is cell phone tax on the $129?

10$ fee is not an option. You get the richer data experiance just by owning the phone in sprints eyes, thus the charge!

Upvote 0
Hey Bigprimo, that sounds like what it should be. The Rep sounded like he was looking thru pages to find the answer, doesn't sound like they have any previous info on the EVO. I even asked if he knew what came in the box, he wasn't sure about that either. Hope Sprint starts filtering info down so we can get some real answers.

Upvote 0
This is a major downer. I was fully planning on migrating my 9 Verizon lines (2 Family Share Plans) over to Sprint. I was excited about the Evo.

Problem: My area in northwest PA is 15% 3G, and 85% 1X for data. I was willing to sacrifice that fact for the Evo, since my work falls within Sprint's 3G area. But my home and most of where I spend my time off-work is nowhere near 3G...not a big problem at home because I have WiFi broadband, which the Evo would fly on.

The thing that is totally ironic here is that what really was the straw that broke the camel's back and made me finally decide to leave Verizon, is their recent $10 data charge for practically every phone they have....then what does Sprint do with the one phone I actually wanted????

Could I afford the $10??? Sure...Will I pay it to go back in time to 1X when I have rock solid 3G with Verizon? NO.
A couple years ago when Verizon was only 1X in my area I refused to subscribe to their V-Cast data plan for the same price people were paying for 3G in the areas that had it. When 3G came to my area, I had a data plan within a week. I will not pay extra for 85% 1X data coverage. Hesse should be smart enough to realize how idiotic that is. The Evo will be a pig on 1X!

I love the Evo 4G phone, but I'm not so euphoric over it as to lose my common snese. If I had solid 3G or 4G in my area, I'd be a little disgruntled, but I would be willing to kick in the $10....just not for freaking 1X.

Kevro

Upvote 0
Consider it a plus for now. I'm pretty sure carriers won't go back to charge for each time they miss this, but if you used it they have a right to charge you and say it was a systems error that's been corrected. Nonetheless if you used the minutes, you could still be on the hook for it. Of course local and state laws will govern how far back you could be assessed, but don't think just because they haven't that legally they can't.

I could be wrong but I think he was talking about the plan with "mobile to ANY mobile" I only talk to people on thier cell phones so I wouldn't be using very many minutes.

Upvote 0
I could be wrong but I think he was talking about the plan with "mobile to ANY mobile" I only talk to people on thier cell phones so I wouldn't be using very many minutes.

I call people on their business lines all the time so mob-mob wouldn't work. No other way I could rack up that many minutes on just mob-mob. I like my family and friends and all, but I can't imagine how I wouldn't want to hang up after about 2 mins if I talked to them every day:)

Upvote 0
Well you totally missed my point. It's called 90% of my calls go to a mobile phone. I hardly call landlines outside of scattered work calls, and for business you can designate your office number as a number that doesn't count towards your minutes. Interesting you just assume it's an error.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones