• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will you still buy this phone on release day if your not in 4G area?

I do have it but yes, I would have purchased it anyway. Once the Nexus One came out I pretty much planned on getting whatever Sprint's Snapdragon-based HTC Android phone ended up being. Luckily for me it also happened to be the rumored Wimax phone as well so I'm doubly ready for it. On 3G this will be a best-in-class HTC Android phone (at least for a little while) but with Wimax it will just be that much faster and more useful.

Upvote 0
Absolutely getting this phone regardless if it's on 3G or 4G in my area. I don't even have cell phone service at my house and I plan on getting it with the Sprint Airave.

I've been drooling over the thoughts of the EVO 4G since it was announced and hope to get it before my girlfriend get's so fed up with me talking about it that she leaves :)

Upvote 0
I'm in NJ and likely to be outside NYC and Phila coverage. It wouldn't matter to me though - I need to move away from ATT b/c I'm over the dropped calls and low signal. Evo should stand on it's own as a 3G phone for my daily use. However it's going to be awesome when I go to NYC or Phila (Vegas and other East Coast cities on the list) and can use the 4G. Actually, 4G will be more useful when I travel than when I'm home because at home I can always use my Wi-Fi or 3G connections.

Upvote 0
I would definitely be buying this phone as soon as humanly possible if Austin didn't have 4G. Luckily, my entire university and my entire apartment complex, as well as all of the distance in between, are all covered by 4G. Whereas just the Evo would make be incredibly happy, the addition of persistent 4G makes me want to giggle like a schoolgirl.

Upvote 0
If it was between a "better" 3G phone and a "lesser" phone with 4G it would be tough to decide since we have 4G here. Since this will be Sprint's best phone (at least for a few months) and have 4G as well, it's a win-win. Easy choice if Sprint is your carrier of choice. If your choice of carrier is under debate then you may not have as simple a decision.

Upvote 0
Even if I lived in Centralia, PA (a real life ghost town) I'd still get an EVO. It'd prolly wouldn't do much as far as actually working cause it's in the middle of no where (literally) but I'd still get it.

I feel their pain my wife's family is from New Tripoli, PA. WiMax? HA! My in-laws are still on dial-up! They're so deep in the woods the cable companies don't want to wire lines in that far.

Upvote 0
I will not be getting this because I am with Verizon and have the Incredible, but if I could I would get this either if it was for 3g. I don't know why anyone wouldn't wont a phone like this? I know some think it is too big, but I would just have to live with it. :) I love my phone, and I feel this one has a few extra things that I don't necessary need, but wouldn't be opposed to getting one.

I have already convinced my brother-in-law to get one, now I will have the best of both worlds. I will get to play with this for free.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones