WiMAX/4G/3G/CDMA and the HTC Supersonic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. billsmed

billsmed Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I couldn't help but wonder what WiMAX 4G was and why I should be interested in it. To understand its significance, I decided to do some Internet searches. What I learned is, WiMAX speeds are generally considered to be 4 to 5 times faster than 3G, but on Sprint

Advertisement
  2. acp

acp Well-Known Member

I'm not going to lie...it moved while reading this thread

3. Roddy

Roddy Well-Known Member

so i have a "crazy question" please don't laugh for my ignorance! lol

but with 4G, will there be voice and data simultaneously like on AT&T? or is that still limited to GSM?

4. billsmed

No Roddy, it's not a crazy question at all, but I'm not able to prove it one way or the other right now. Guess we'll have to wait until the phone is released to find out. Perhaps someone with WiMAX/VoIP/mobile experience will be able to answer.

My reason for posting this thread is because I'm excited about the HTC Supersonic. I wrote quite a bit tying to stir interest and was hoping people would be able to comment and expound more on the subject.

Bill

5. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

bill you certainly did your rresearch man! yea sprint CLAIMS 4g is 10x faster, but that is the theoretical max, in order to do this they're range per tower would be much smaller than what they currently have it set it, so in reall application you will prob see 4-5x faster than 3g.

they are the only major carrier going the wimax route, but that would be obvious looking at their past, they want to be the first at things, everyone else is going LTE which is still theoretical in the states, WiMax is deployed and working, they were the first majore carrier in the states to go digital and now they have done it again with 4g, some will claim it was a bad choice going with WiMax but they will still be a few years ahead of other companies.

on that note, if LTE blows WiMax outa the water i have READ where clear has been quoted saying that if necesary all their towers can be switched to LTE via software change? not sure how that is exaclty possible seeing the different bands they use but i have read it in multiple locations, if this is true, then sprint has been well prepared in going about this proccess.

i am certainly excited to see a 4g phone later this year not because i will be getting it but it is progress, and quicker one comes out the quicker more will follow, getting better each generation. and the plain fact that progress is always good.

6. billsmed

Thanks, Covert. Right now, I don't see LTE blowing WiMAX out of the water, mostly because Sprint has a head start and they have all those tech giants behind them. I've also seen reference to WiMAX2, which I believe is an upgrade to IEEE 802.16m from IEEE 802.16e. WiMAX2, if that's what it will be called, will offer more speed and will do more to match the 4G standard.

If Sprint can upgrade to LTE "via software" as you mentioned, then that's a move they will probably want to make. It seems logical if they want to stay in step with the rest of the world, but only Sprint can make that decision.

7. Covert_Death

yea totaly agree, if i were sprint, this would be my "leep frog" into 4g, if they are the first, they will be the largest for quiet sometime, and when buisnesses end up wanitng 4g speed, where will they look first? sprint. i think it is a smart decision by them, even if it will not be the accepted standard, i dont understand the wimax bashers, atleasts it's something NOW, which is all that is really ever relevant in my mind, the rest are dreams

8. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

I know the release date is anyone's guess but do you really think Sprint could roll out a 4G phone by March? I was thinking Q3 but I won't complain lol.

9. billsmed

We should know a lot more after the HTC scheduled press event on February 16th at the Mobile World Congress. When I Google "sprint htc supersonic", I get over 600,000 hits. A lot of them are saying the Supersonic will be released in March.

Sprint has been working with WiMAX for more than 5 years and HTC has been working with WiMAX for over a year with on a Russian WiMAX phone, so they have experience with it. 11-12-2008 - SCARTEL AND HTC LAUNCH WORLD

10. Covert_Death

my only question: i know the phone is 4g/3g, but will it also support edge/2.5g, the standard connection. cause 3g is not everywhere yet still so this phone needs to work outside those areas as well...

my family is in dallas so i can buy this phone since dallas has 4g but i will use it MOST of the time in oklahoma, plenty of 3g but still some spots where it's not there yet but 2.5g is, will it work in these areas or ONLY 4g/3g?

11. billsmed

Covert,

I read that the Supersonic works on EVDO/EVDO Rev A, so my guess is, wherever your Instinct works, the Supersonic should also work. I'd say you would have the best of both worlds. When in Dallas, you'd would have 4G broadband type speed like you get on your desktop.

It would be great if the rumor about Wal-Mart putting WiMAX on all their buildings comes true. The following map shows where all their stores are located.

[​IMG]

It looks like this would give you coverage at the university as well.

12. Covert_Death

that is the most beautiful map ever, if the rumor turns out true and that would be sprints 4g coverage map i will cry! i'd have 4g for the whole drive back and forth too LMAO.

how much does anyone speculate this phone costing... the N1 is 179, but this has a biger screen, 4g and fm supposedly so HOPEFULLY no more than 250 i don't see myself putting down more than that for a phone

13. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Ok as for voice/data at the same time, I would say yes, if your in 4g coverage. 4g woul be a different radio, and you can use wifi while on a call, so its definately possible. Edge- no. Supersonic is cdma. Edge is gsm.

Wimax to lte via software? Definately possible. Wimax and lte are very very similiar, so I don't see why this would be a problem.

14. pequeajim

pequeajim Well-Known Member

I was wondering how long it would take Walmart to ink a deal like this... It's exciting. I have 4 Walmarts within 10 miles of me, and they are all over the place in central Pa.

Looks like they gotta map for that too!

15. caseyatbt

caseyatbt Well-Known Member

I think a Walmart deal is the smartest thing Sprint could do to get WiMax up and running and have great coverage areas. I hope that it is true.

16. Gattaca714

Gattaca714 Well-Known Member

Here's hoping for a March release!

17. billsmed

[​IMG]
    Where WiMAX 4G Coverage is Available Now

I've been trying to nail down where WiMAX 4G is available and where it should be coming soon. Clear/Sprint isn't making it easy to figure out where they're going to deploy next, so this may not be accurate on the "Coming Soon" locations.

Available Now

Georgia: Atlanta, Milledgeville.
    Hawaii: Honolulu, Maui.
    Idaho: Boise
    Illinois: Chicago.
    Maryland: Baltimore
    Nevada: Las Vegas
    North Carolina: Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh.
    Oregon: Portland, Roseburg, Salem,
    Pennsylvania: Philadelphia.
    Texas: Abilene, Amarillo, Austin, Corpus Christi, Dallas/Fort Worth, Killeen, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, San Antonio, Temple, Waco, Wichita Falls.
    Washington: Bellingham, Everett, Kitsap, Seattle, Tacoma

Coming Soon

California: Chico, Merced, Modesto, Redding, Stockton, Visalia
    Ohio: Dayton
    Florida: Daytona, Jacksonville, St. Augustine
    Minnesota: Duluth, St. Cloud
    New York: Rochester, Syracuse
    Oregon: Bend, Eugene,
    Tennessee: Nashville
    Texas: Longview
    Virginia: Richmond
    Washington: Aberdeen, Grants Pass, Klamath Falls, Medford, Snohomish, Tri-Cities, Wenatchee, Yakima.
    Washington DC
    Wisconsin: Eau Claire

Texas seems to be the clear (no pun intended) winner so far where 4G is already operational. As I mentioned above, the cities where the roll-out is underway seems to be somewhat of a secret. I would appreciate any input.

18. Covert_Death

texas rules! now i just need to visit home more often to use this lmao

19. acp

acp Well-Known Member

Chicago..Woot

20. billsmed

Now we know why Alcatel said last week that WiMAX has already lost to LTE, and that's because they have become a LTE contractor.

Sprint had their eye on the future a long time ago, and they're way ahead of Alcatel.

21. grimloch

grimloch Well-Known Member

22. billsmed

Wow, nice find grimloch! Good to see my old stomping grounds in the WiMAX news. They're saying that Sprint bought iPCS back in October and apparently that's been one of the things holding up WiMAX, because of an impending lawsuit against them by iPCS. Another thing I saw there was that Clear is going to be coming out with their own WiMAX phone, but not until the end of the year. HTC Olympian anybody? At this point, it's unclear how this effects Sprint and the HTC Supersonic which I'm still hoping will be released next month.

Edit: In this article from the Grand Rapids Wireless Home Page was a link to How WiMAX works and it's very good.

23. mbell75

mbell75 Banned

I seriously doubt Sprint can even update the Hero to 2.1 by March. Them coming out with a new 4G phone running 2.1 by March is laughable. This wont come out till end of summer at the earliest. Would have heard some solid info on it already if it was launching next month.

24. Covert_Death

we never hear anything solid from sprint phones till 2 weeks before, and when you build a phone based around 2.1 it is much easier to get it out quick than it is to take a phone designed around 1.5 and put 2.1 on it

25. billsmed

If we don't hear something from HTC about this phone next Tuesday, then I have a tendency to agree with you. In the meantime, I'm trying to stay positive and keep my hopes up.

When you say we "Would have heard some solid info on it already if it was launching next month", if you think about it, the N1 wasn't official until the day it went on sale. The Sprint HTC Hero, the Droid or the Eris weren't officially announced until about a week before they were released. That seems to be the way it's done.

The guys over in the Incredible forum sure have their hopes up, but nothing official has been announced on that phone either. That's not stopping them from talking about it. Some of them are hoping it will be released sometime next month too.

One thing I know for sure, everyone that wants the Supersonic and the Incredible is looking for something to come out of MWC next week and hopefully, we'll have good news.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.