window mounted car dock just came in and it blew my mind

Last Updated:

1. Imperial Droid

Imperial Droid Member This Topic's Starter

So I ordered the Motorola a855 window mount and it blew my mind. The Droid knows its in the dock and goes straight to navigation mode and its in my hand without wires attached. I'm assuming there is some sort of magnetic sensor on the back of the phone and a magnet in the dock. Whatever it is, its one more thing that blows my mind. Droid DOES EVERYTHING...Thanks motorola

Also, I took the Alpine navigation out of my truck and replacing it with my phone. I used the phone next to the Alpine and the phone took me straight to where I needed to go. The Alpine was redirecting me to other routes that were out of the way from where I needed to go. Once again, Droid does

Advertisement
  2. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member

It is certainly nice. And you're right, it's magnets.

As for navigation, it's great and not so great. Sometimes it's out of the way, and you HAVE to have a signal, but otherwise, awesome.

3. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

I love my dock and today I added the 505 bluetooth handsfree device. Droid does and does it well :D

4. idonthaveaclue

idonthaveaclue Well-Known Member

This almost seems like a stupid question...or maybe it dont...but is there any thing you can do/get that while in the car mount, if you receive/make a call that the conversation goes thru the car stereo...Like sync for ford cars. Other than wearing a blue-tooth ear piece.
    I think I seen something like this at Walmart but dont know how good it would work.

5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

If you can connect the DROID to your stereo (the aforementioned MOTOROKR T505 is a good way to take info from the DROID via BT and transfer it to your Stereo via Digital FM) then yes you can.

6. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

You can get a steering wheel mounted bluetooth set at walmart for like 50 bucks and it will transfer your phone book.

7. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

hmm, got a link? Ain't finding it anywhere online....

8. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

9. rkeller62

rkeller62 New Member

If you have a 3.5mm input jack or cassette on your car stereo you can connect to your headset jack on your Droid. I do this with mine and phone call plays through stereo great. Even though phone is in car mount on windshield people can hear me fine as well.

10. Imperial Droid

Imperial Droid Member This Topic's Starter

That's what I'm doing. I have an Alpine w505, getting the AI adapter for it tomorrow, it'll be sweet to have Pandora on the roll

11. idonthaveaclue

idonthaveaclue Well-Known Member

12. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Yeah the Moto car mount is great!
    Just be careful because it gets REALLY hot in the sun when driving. I use Setting Profiles app and have all the sounds set to loud and audible clicks, as well as changing the ringtone to the Austin Powers ringtone, lol. As soon as I pop it in, the app switches the profile.

I also love using the voice keyboard for texting while driving or emailing - and the best of all on the car dock is the voice search.
    I just say "navigate to nearest PetSmart" and it's done, wherever I am.

But yes, the car dock is nice, and very solid. I have had no issues with suction cup or any joints loosening significantly.