• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows 10, Yay or Nay?

My approach to recovery is to separate the irreplaceable stuff from the replaceable stuff. I have my OS on C:/ and personal files, including the default Windows user folders, on D:/. If anything happens, you nuke the C:/ drive and make a fresh install, or reinstall an image, leaving your data safe. Whereas D:/ I run incremental backup programs to a HDD and use a cloud backup of some kind.

Unsure if you even need a key for Win10 anymore.
Certainly if you took the Windows 10 upgrade, your activation is tied to your hardware, not a key.

I'm thinking a 32Gb would be a safer bet. I installed Win7 premium on my laptop and then after all drivers were installed, tried making a backup disk/DVD and got an impending file size of 25Gb!! That shut me down quick like. I'm SURE Win10 is even bigger as well..

I think it depends what kind of recovery usb you mean. The Windows install files fit on 4GB sticks, but, like you say, a backup image of an installed drive might not make it onto 16GB.

Upvote 0
Shameful all the crapware that comes pre-installed. Once activated, I normally just retrieve the key and do a clean install from an ISO. Unsure if you even need a key for Win10 anymore.

I basically do the same with my phones/tablets minus the product key. My latest phone is a Sammy Galaxy s4 and the crapware they put on it would have the battery drain in about 5 hours. Thankfully I'm rooted and was able to remove a majority of the crapware. But its consistent with all OEM's Everyone thinks what you should have instead of allowing you to think for yourself and just get what you want.

Upvote 0
I basically do the same with my phones/tablets minus the product key. My latest phone is a Sammy Galaxy s4 and the crapware they put on it would have the battery drain in about 5 hours. Thankfully I'm rooted and was able to remove a majority of the crapware. But its consistent with all OEM's Everyone thinks what you should have instead of allowing you to think for yourself and just get what you want.
Yeah, if they just spent 10% of their time patching security issues instead of placing all of the crap in /system, things would be so much better. Why on earth is NFL, YouTube, all the Google stuff many will never use (not to mention carrier specific junk) unable to be removed without root? Makes me sick :(

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
Yeah, if they just spent 10% of their time patching security issues instead of placing all of the crap in /system, things would be so much better. Why on earth is NFL, YouTube, all the Google stuff many will never use (not to mention carrier specific junk) unable to be removed without root? Makes me sick :(
The price of having a subsidized phone without paying full retail. "NFL" you must be a Verizon subscriber, because we don't get that from China Mobile or China Unicom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I never update Quicken unless it refuses to work, and that has only happened once, when the whole US banking system changed how they do online interconnects.
I get GnuCash updates several times a year for free. :^). Back when I used Quicken it forced an update every year. That was a big factor in my decide to go all Linux.

if gnuCash will not log into a bank, and download my info, it is a useless POS for me.

I refuse to do manual entry, I used to do that with Spreadsheets decades ago, until Quicken was invented.
when that happened, I never again, downloaded CSV files and imported them into a spreadsheet.

a manual only checkbook program is for the birds, get real....
I would never, ever allow a bank access to my files. Total insanity to me. Manual entry is very simple and only takes a few minutes.

You have to really trust a Corporation with your info if your willing to put your bank account in their hands. I do not trust any Government or Corporation that much. I don't even trust the bank. They are all out to screw you in the end. Just remember Business exist to take your money.
Exactly. If you let a bank fool with your records you better have backups!

My approach to recovery is to separate the irreplaceable stuff from the replaceable stuff. I have my OS on C:/ and personal files, including the default Windows user folders, on D:/. If anything happens, you nuke the C:/ drive and make a fresh install, or reinstall an image, leaving your data safe. Whereas D:/ I run incremental backup programs to a HDD and use a cloud backup of some kind.
That's basically what I do too. I always make a D:/Data partition for user data so if Windows gets trashed I can reinstall and keep all that data. Everything on D:/ plus some user profile stuff from C:/ is backed up to the cloud.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't want no stinking crapware? Go Nexus!

Upvote 0
You have to really trust a Corporation with your info if your willing to put your bank account in their hands. I do not trust any Government or Corporation that much. I don't even trust the bank. They are all out to screw you in the end. Just remember Business exist to take your money.

I agree with the concept for the most part:
but, Quicken is the premiere Middleman accounting system for the banks to use to download data to their customers. that was told to me by an IT person at my local bank, and then again by the IT person for my Credit Union.

my little one horse home owned bank could not afford Quicken's fees to be the middleman going between me and the bank.... so they don't offer the service. I have to dial them up, and do a CSV file download into a Spreadsheet, and then import that to Quicken Checkbook.... that caused me to move all of my auto-debits away from that bank, over to the credit union....

my credit union, on the other hand, accommodates Quicken, as do most credit unions.... I love credit unions, any of their ATMs are free of service charges to withdraw cash for your pocket.

I have used Intuit's Quicken Checkbook for almost 20 years, and they have never, ever, once caused me to distrust them.
I also Use Intuit's TurboTax because of how thorough it is, and I don't need an fancy dancy expensive account to do my taxes.... been thru a lot of problems in my life, and TurboTax has always been able to handle it, and keep me out of trouble with the IRS.

I hope, that someone, somewhere, understands how to setup the Wizard in gnuCash.... if that doesn't happen, it is a POS as a Checkbook Register..... and that is all I want. A checkbook so I can track where my money goes... w/o having to do manual entry. That is Dark Ages crap.

Upvote 0

if gnuCash will not log into a bank, and download my info, it is a useless POS for me.

I refuse to do manual entry, I used to do that with Spreadsheets decades ago, until Quicken was invented.
when that happened, I never again, downloaded CSV files and imported them into a spreadsheet.

a manual only checkbook program is for the birds, get real....
I would never, ever allow a bank access to my files. Total insanity to me. Manual entry is very simple and only takes a few minutes.

You are misinformed: the banks don't have access to "your files", the Quicken, or other means of downloading banking info, only accesses the information that you give the bank permission to let the Middleman accumulate for you, the Middleman then downloads that into the Accounting program: Quicken Checkbook for me.

The banks never have reverse access into your computer's files.... it is strictly a One-way Street... downloads only. No uploads allowed....
In fact, the only way a bank will allow you to upload anything, is to go into their personal 'in-house' email system and attach a file there.... been there, done that, with transactions to buy a house across state lines.... they needed "proof of purchase from the Trust Company" and they would NOT allow it to be Faxed.... period.... only by in house email, via a file upload into their server.....

The banks, and Quicken, will tell you up front:
Do not make a Transfer via the Accounting Program..... it will suffer delays of as much as 5 days or more..... it goes thru the intermediary functions and has to get Security Verifications before it is allowed to be sent to the banks. They all tell you to sign onto the Bank's online website and handle you transfers from there.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
Turbo tax will never be used by me again. A few years ago I did turbo tax and I got a letter from the IRS telling me I owed them back the taxes money I got. I went to H&R Block and Turbo tax did not give me credit for both kids it only gave me credit for one. And Where the IRS said I owed was correct except that they still owed me credit for the one child which left them owing me about 2oo dollars. IF not for the child credit I would have owed the IRS 1400 dollars. I never used that worthless garbage again.

Upvote 0
Last yr turbo tax offered me EIC credit and changed my filing status without notifying me of the change. Went from Married/separate to Str8 married/jointly, which I found after I was looking over the (already sent) submission for a different agenda.. Had to make phone calls and apologize for my error and send $$ to the other half. Like @argedion , NEVER AGAIN!. :cool:

Upvote 0
db6d3cb5c5e936e8899d4fe697b1258a.jpg

OK, so what about Quicken for Android or Renminbi(Chinese banking)?

Fail!! You have to have Windows or Mac.

I already do all my banking and tax payments on my Android phone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For many, many years I did our taxes using both H&R Block (originally TaxCut) and Turbo Tax and submitted the one that came out best, which for all but one or two years was always Block. Most years it beat TurboTax by a fair margin. Clearly, TurboTax sucked. Block saved money and never got the IRS after me so I thought I was doing OK. I was self-employed all this time but my wife was not, she got W2 forms.

Then she lost her job of 22 years and took it as an opportunity to start her own business. For the first couple of years I did our taxes as always. But her business took off. Doing the taxes was getting complicated and I was beginning to think maybe I should turn tax duties over to an accountant. She knew one so we decided to let him have at it.

For about $300-$350/yr he does 1099 forms for her employees, federal, state and city taxes for both of our businesses and ties everything up in a nice, professional package. He gives us a good price because I compile all the figures from GnuCash and other records. No shoeboxes of invoices for him to add up. I give him a comprehensive sheet with everything from business license fees to printer ink, totaled and categorized. GnuCash makes it simple.

It's been one of the best things we've ever done. He's an old school accountant, really knows his stuff. He has saved us thousands, literally thousands of dollars the last 4 years over using tax software. And not a peep of protest from the IRS. Mention TurboTax around him and be prepared for a rant about how it must be written by the IRS, how QuickBooks for business is broken, etc etc.

BTW, he's a GnuCash fan and will launch into another rant about how Quicken and QuickBooks is causing double-entry accounting to be a lost art, etc etc. Like I said, he's old school. He's actually kind of a pita, I can't honestly say I like the guy. But he's good at what he does.

The banks, and Quicken, will tell you up front:
Do not make a Transfer via the Accounting Program..... it will suffer delays of as much as 5 days or more..... it goes thru the intermediary functions and has to get Security Verifications before it is allowed to be sent to the banks. They all tell you to sign onto the Bank's online website and handle you transfers from there.
Nice. At least they tell you up front how worthless they are.

Makes me sick how the banks and Intuit have conspired to make Quicken a virtual default for banks. It's no accident or tech superiority by Intuit that makes it difficult for anything but Quicken to communicate with banks. It's a coordinated effort to keep Quicken's virtual monopoly going.

Last edited:
Reactions: argedion and mikedt
Upvote 0
Hate to bring up Windows again...

Microsoft is now aggressively pushing Windows 10 upgrades

Microsoft revealed last year that it was planning to be more aggressive with its Windows 10 upgrade plans for existing PCs. Start this week, Microsoft is re-categorizing Windows 10 as a "recommended update" in its Windows Update system. That means the Windows 10 upgrade process will download and start automatically on thousands of machines.

"Windows 10 will automatically download if you're on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1"

While the upgrade process starts automatically, existing Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users will have to choose whether they upgrade to Windows 10 or not. Windows 10 will automatically download and start the upgrade process, depending on your Windows Update settings, but you can opt out and not receive nagging prompts to update. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users on a metered connection will have to turn off automatic updates to prevent the Windows 10 installer from downloading automatically.​

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
YES I HAVE IT. ITS CALLED LINUX :D

i suppose that I should have added "if you wish to continue to run Winders" :p

I have Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa/Cinnamon on my laptop......
it was forced on me by Win10.... tried to get used to that POS for three months, and formatted the hard drive and started all over.

My desktop is frozen in time with Win7 :cool:

Upvote 0
Relive your Windows 95 memories with this purpose-built emulator

windows.jpg

Now you can relive those heady days with a Windows 95 emulator that runs in your browser...

"While Microsoft no longer sell Windows 95 as a retail product, nor do they still sell licenses or support for it (which ended on December 31, 2001), it is still very much protected by copyright law," she writes. "I would argue that this might (and that is quite tenuous) be protected under United States fair use and United Kingdom fair dealing provisions, given that this is a non-commercial use for the purposes of research and education."

If Windows sends a cease and desist letter, she'll take it down.
But sorry, it doesn't work in Linux... not that you'd want it to.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
Relive your Windows 95 memories with this purpose-built emulator

windows.jpg

Now you can relive those heady days with a Windows 95 emulator that runs in your browser...

"While Microsoft no longer sell Windows 95 as a retail product, nor do they still sell licenses or support for it (which ended on December 31, 2001), it is still very much protected by copyright law," she writes. "I would argue that this might (and that is quite tenuous) be protected under United States fair use and United Kingdom fair dealing provisions, given that this is a non-commercial use for the purposes of research and education."

If Windows sends a cease and desist letter, she'll take it down.
But sorry, it doesn't work in Linux... not that you'd want it to.
You should also know that not everything works and some things like trying to run IE will freeze the emulator

Reactions: jefboyardee
Upvote 0
Something else I haven't tried that claims to remove Win10 nags:

GWX Control Panel
This is a free tool that can remove and disable the 'Get Windows 10' notification area icon on Windows 7 and Windows 8. Recent versions can also disable 'Upgrade to Windows 10' behavior in the Windows Update control panel and do much more.

That definitely works, and I have posted that same thing in this thread several times.... but folks either gloss over it, or don't start reading from the first post and go straight through the thread.

it not only removes the nags, it searches to see if the Win10 files have been downloaded. It reports if it finds them, and gives you a little menu of things to do. As you click thru that menu, it updates the status of what remains of Win10's startup install files.

You have the option of installing a Monitor that will prevent any further downloads from Microsoft getting onto the hard drive.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones