windows 7

1. MrBaker22

MrBaker22 Well-Known Member

Hey guys im building a pc for my sister as her uni one broke... shes on a real.budget ive managed to build a complete system for 300

Advertisement
    :
  2. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Well-Known Member

3. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

You can't get a free version of any Windows software anywhere. At least not legally.
  4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Do you know what the licensing terms are with technet subscriptions btw? Is that evaluation only?
  5. A.Nonymous

I don't. I think it is evaluation. At the very least the software would only be licensed for the person with the subscription. They wouldn't be licensed to redistribute it. The world of MS licensing is a murky and obscure one to say the least.
  6. SUroot

It is indeed. Its just I would subscribe if I could use it for myself... Although I wouldnt want to be tied down to 90 days for example.
  7. A.Nonymous

Googled it 'cuz I was bored. Apparently, the Technet software is just good for 12 months.
  8. SUroot

Thats pretty good though as you get quite a lot of stuff...
  9. A.Nonymous

It's a good deal if you're an IT department looking to test new stuff out. Not so much for consumers I don't think. But I don't think it's targeted at consumers really.
  10. SUroot

True. Until recently I was self employed working in IT support and always wondered about technet as the places I worked often subscribed.now I'm permanently employed maybe there's no need but I do still play a lot at home. I learned citrix by creating a farm at home for example. IT is not just a living for me, its a way of life
  11. A.Nonymous

I wish I had the money to play with server stuff at home. If I had the $$$ I'd have a nice virtual host running all kinds of stuff that I could blow up and put back together again just for fun.
  12. SUroot

I was lucky and had spare licences at where I was working. I nol longer work there so I had to destroy it unfortunately.
  13. A.Nonymous

I have neither the hardware nor the licenses. Our boss keeps talking about putting a virtualized test environment together and our company has a TechNet subscription so we have the licenses. He refuses to spend a dime on any hardware whatsoever though.
  14. SUroot

The problem is all production environments should have a test environment. Thats how many risks of changes are mitigated. Virtualisation is fine though, but it costs in time and effort. But production can be imaged then deployed virtually.
  15. A.Nonymous

Our boss doesn't see things that way unless the client is willing to pay for the cost. He isn't. I've been there 3.5 years. Twice we have done wide scale roll outs of systems that he thought were the shiznit and turned out to be just sh**. We spent lots of time trying to fix all the problems with the crappy things that we ended up writing off. He's a frustrating guy to work for at times as he insists that we do things the cheapest and often wrong way possible, but turns around and tells clients not to cut corners, but to do things right. We do things in house that we would never ever do for clients in a million years.
  16. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Actually, the main stipulation with Technet licenses is that you cannot use them for profit / gain / business - for that there is a separate SKU dedicated for business / production use.

While hte terminology of 'testing' only is loosely granted, I've been running TechNet licenses for my personal stuff for a few years now - and thus far have had no issues. Then again, I keep re-subscribing every August for a new sub, so....

I'm wondering what the newer, cheaper has left out - I was paying the $349 / yr (discounted - I bought it with a 25% discount, and they offer typically up to $100 to renew), bu my main focus is for Windows 7 licenses, Office Licenses, and the (upcoming) Windows 8 license....
  17. Mayhem

Mayhem Well-Known Member Contributor

I hope Windows 8 comes out before my technet subscription runs out!

Not to threadjack, but has anyone tried the Windows 8 Beta? I'm considering multiboot with Windows 7 and Mint.
  18. YrrchSebor0000

YrrchSebor0000 Well-Known Member

i got a free copy of Windows 8 online.... i made a thread on it here that has probably dropped to page 2 or 3 or 4 by now, haha.

it works for me, but i just needed Windows for Netflix, and one or two other Android things. It's probably not yet a solid substitute for Windows 7 tho. i tried to install some Samsung drivers and it said the OS was not compatible.
  19. A.Nonymous

Windows 8 is free in beta to everyone right now.
  20. johnlgalt

I was trying it before it came to public beta. It's a full departure from the old, but I'm here to tell you - it's here to usher in a new paradigm in the business of personal computing. Swipes, pinch, drag, etc- basically, everything we've been doing on our phones is now here for the OS.

And I've got a handy Wacom Bamboo Touch pad already from last year :D

^ This (to the previous post)
  21. saywat?

saywat? Well-Known Member

u could probably buy a pc from the store or online for cheaper then wat ur trying to do and dont even have to worry about find a copy of windows
  22. johnlgalt

Doubt it - it's why I build my systems by hand - the cheap PCs from OEMs are usually 2-3 generations behind the current hardware.
    SUroot likes this.
  23. YrrchSebor0000

yah, that's basically why i mentioned it, to let the OP know it was available as perhaps a last resort option.. in case he didn't know :)
  24. johnlgalt

I think A made the post because you didn't specifically state that anyone could get it online for free, meaning your post was a bit confusing, because not everyone would read your post and realize that anyone can get it, not just you, and not through shady means.

FWIW - here is the link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516
    Frisco likes this.
  25. YrrchSebor0000

Ah yes, I see that now.... I guess i forgot to be more clear. And thanks for the link!