• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows 8 on ZMAX PRO???

biledigger

May 25, 2015
I have always been an old fashioned Windows XP PC junky. I am always using my phone nowadays since lugging around a laptop kind of sucks. I was scouring around the net and found this app called "Change My Software 8.1". Hmm.... This is just the thing I need. Install XP, 8, or 10 on my phone. Do you guys think this will work on our devices?

Me 2.
I doubt that would work, since not even MS itself could get Windows to work optimally on its own phones.
Windows just requires huge amount of resources /storage vs android.
Not even the Chinese dual boot tablets work that great @ double our present ram&storage.

The good news for you and I is that Windows is being coded for full Arm support, and we should enjoy the upcoming Surface Phone - days in between charges, wireless docking / casting, docking station included, up to 8&512 GB, LTE connectivity...
The bad news - mucho price, late 2017(assuming no delays)...

Ideal for me would be a 7-8" no-bezel Win phablet.

Upvote 0
The good news for you and I is that Windows is being coded for full Arm support, and we should enjoy the upcoming Surface Phone - days in between charges, wireless docking / casting, docking station included, up to 8&512 GB, LTE connectivity...

I'm sure Microsoft did that about four years ago, Windows RT, it was a flop and subsequently discontinued.

We discussed it briefly here.
http://androidforums.com/threads/windows-10-yay-or-nay.933027/page-26#post-7264336
Could have been a Windows RT tablet. Because that version you can't just install anything on it, it's as locked and walled-garden as Windows Phone or Apple iOS, i.e. it's apps from the Microsoft Store only. Windows RT is now discontinued AFAIK.

Any Windows built for ARM, is NOT going to be running standard PC executables(x86) anyway, so not really suitable for an "old fashioned Windows XP PC junky". :)

Another thing, I've found MS Surface devices can be horribly expensive, more expensive than Apple Macbooks of similar specs

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sure Microsoft did that about four years ago, Windows RT, it was a flop and subsequently discontinued.

We discussed it briefly here.
http://androidforums.com/threads/windows-10-yay-or-nay.933027/page-26#post-7264336
Could have been a Windows RT tablet. Because that version you can't just install anything on it, it's as locked and walled-garden as Windows Phone or Apple iOS, i.e. it's apps from the Microsoft Store only. Windows RT is now discontinued AFAIK.

Any Windows built for ARM, is NOT going to be running standard PC executables(x86) anyway, so not really suitable for an "old fashioned Windows XP PC junky". :)

Another thing, I've found MS Surface devices can be horribly expensive, more expensive than Apple Macbooks of similar specs
Even the win 8 to 10 update on Lumia phones turned out to be an incomplete clusterphuk... MS abandoning the users.

I don't know what the deal was With RT, you couldn't update Windows, while you could on the phones.

Yes, Surface is so expensive - and hardware unupgradeable.
Wait - that could be a new field:
Custom Tablet & Laptop Upgrading- MS Soldering Certified

We've reached the Pinnacle of Throwaway Consumerism. Almost nobody nowadays wants to make anything to be used more than a few months (we would kill our future sales) - this contagion is spreading from electronics to just about everything else.

That being said, if the upcoming Surface Phone is what it's being touted - I'll get it (allowing me to ditch all computers & tablets), pricing irregardless. Even if my mommy has to hook a little bit.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Reactions: horsecharles
Upvote 0
Yeah. They are working on 10.
Just no x64 bit support. Oh well. I just like to have XP, 7 on hand for PC games. I tried to post a link to the info but it's not working. It's on some site called The Verge. Dunno. I guess just some random news site.
I'll try out that installation for win 8.1 on my phone later just out of curiosity. If it works. I'll let you guys know. I'll report performance qualities and such. Especially compatibility.

Upvote 0
Me 2.
I doubt that would work, since not even MS itself could get Windows to work optimally on its own phones.
Windows just requires huge amount of resources /storage vs android.
Not even the Chinese dual boot tablets work that great @ double our present ram&storage.

LOL!!!! the bolded made me chuckle to death. The OP though gave me an idea maybe I will put windows on my visual tablet. I just don't know what to do with that tablet gathering dust.

WinCE already has full ARM support. WinCE powered all my GPS. And I made my GPS a smart GPS. That can do ANYthing an iphone can, back when it was still starting.

Why can't they just explore winCE to power their phones when it is the one they use to power small touchscreen gadgets aka GPS back then?

MY hacked smart GPS is the awesomest back then. Maybe just maybe, I will consider a windows phone if it is powered by winCE.

Upvote 0
Dang, you deserve a Nobel... Or Espy... Something....

I think the point now is for the Surface Phone to replace computer n tablet totally.
At least I hope to be able to put all my windows - only progs on it.
I'll lug around everywhere a "small case containing a small, light docking station" for that privilege (rather than bigger, heavier case with laptop n brick).
And I can't wait for the promised foldable plastic paper - like monitors... and power over wifi...

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Yeah. They are working on 10.
Just no x64 bit support. Oh well. I just like to have XP, 7 on hand for PC games. I tried to post a link to the info but it's not working. It's on some site called The Verge. Dunno. I guess just some random news site.
I'll try out that installation for win 8.1 on my phone later just out of curiosity. If it works. I'll let you guys know. I'll report performance qualities and such. Especially compatibility.

This article I think.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Run-Windows-XP-on-Android-Device/

I did try it last year sometime and did have XP booted under emulation on an Android phone. But it was very limited what it could do. As for games, well there's Solitaire and Minesweeper. :D

EDIT

Here's a thread we had about XP running on Android last year,
http://androidforums.com/threads/installing-windows-as-an-app.953078/
However the downloads from the site I posted only available in China.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
LMAO I was gonna say.... Windows CE is beyond dead. I have an old Pioneer AVIC-S1 GPS navigator I was looking into hacking newer map data on to because Pioneer stopped selling updates like 2 years after production. It's a beautiful system and could probably work great, but I can't seem to find the only exploit program in existence, all leads online in forums point to one file hosting service that yanked it eons ago....

I also still possess a Motorola i930 running the older disgusting, utterly useless and locked version of early Windows Mobile.... LOL. I just can't let go of the stupid thing thinking it will be of some use one day. I can't find any cracks for that phone either. granted, unlocking won't make an i930 do anything more than installing unsigned java apps. I can't even get a network unlock code for the thing. For surely the Pioneer GPS I have would be of way more use unlocked than an old Nextel could ever be :)

Upvote 0
And I just realized... I HATE WINDOWS. So now I wonder why I'm hoarding old WinMobile stuff.... I am a loyal BlackBerry guy, and I'm still waiting for them to actually make a triumphant comeback (holy futility) WITHOUT Android. They are so much better than the mountainous, steaming pile of QNX $HIT they turned BBOS10 into. They sold their manufacturing to Jakarta and their soul to Google for the DTEK. It's crap. But, I'm still waiting. Today I ordered me a used Z10 to play around with while I wait. Hopefully it's leaps and bounds over the Q10 I bought, what a FPOS. WTF were they thinking selling a QWERTY phone without a track pad??

Edit- Almost forgot - I HATE ANDROID TOO lol

Sorry. Not entirely. Just everything GarGLE crapped out after Jellybean :)

Upvote 0
Asking this without looking it up, but was WinCE the beginnings of what is now WinMobile, or two totally separate things? I thought CE was simply a micro operating system for ATMs, car wash POS terminals etc before QNX took the small operations over. Interestingly enough, thought I read somewhere that Ford is going to start utilizing QNX for their Navi-tainment head units?

Upvote 0
LMAO I was gonna say.... Windows CE is beyond dead. I have an old Pioneer AVIC-S1 GPS navigator I was looking into hacking newer map data on to because Pioneer stopped selling updates like 2 years after production. It's a beautiful system and could probably work great, but I can't seem to find the only exploit program in existence, all leads online in forums point to one file hosting service that yanked it eons ago....

I also still possess a Motorola i930 running the older disgusting, utterly useless and locked version of early Windows Mobile.... LOL. I just can't let go of the stupid thing thinking it will be of some use one day. I can't find any cracks for that phone either. granted, unlocking won't make an i930 do anything more than installing unsigned java apps. I can't even get a network unlock code for the thing. For surely the Pioneer GPS I have would be of way more use unlocked than an old Nextel could ever be :)

Glad you mentioned your pioneer navigator I am guessing it's the gps head unit you buy for your car? Coz the hack I am talking about is also good for those. As long as your old GPS runs on winCE this hack will work. It's called miopocket. Go to gpspassion forum. I don't know if they still have a working download link. Last time I checked on that forum. The original contributor peaced out. And even the one that took over his development peaced out as well. :p As far as I know.

The hack is exactly what you are looking for. I have a mio GPS and I was running tomtom and garmin maps. I did the same with my navigon.

Or anyone interested can buy my navigon with SD WIFI card. Just holla at me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Glad you mentioned your pioneer navigator I am guessing it's the gps head unit you buy for your car? Coz the hack I am talking about is also good for those. As long as your old GPS runs on winCE this hack will work. It's called miopocket. Go to gpspassion forum. I don't know if they still have a working download link. Last time I checked on that forum. The original contributor peaced out. And even the one that took over his development peaced out as well. :p As far as I know.

The hack is exactly what you are looking for. I have a mio GPS and I was running tomtom and garmin maps. I did the same with my navigon.

My trick is to insert the link at archive.org
May have to check every recorded link there.
As long as the download link didn't require to be logged in, or was some script...

Upvote 0

The AVIC-S1 is almost ten years old. And it was f---+ng expensive when it first came out, that's why it was such a disappointment when Pioneer stopped map updates after 2008.

And oh yeah it's running Windows CE. If you plug it into a PC it gives you access to a couple of folders and that's it, just like my i930 does. I managed to get my AVIC into a memory test/flashing mode but stopped there, as I have nothing to hack it with, or even any way of restoring it lol... Not that I really care anyway. A GPS with 10 year old map data is damn near useless to me. Probably useless to the doomsday nuts as well lol

Upvote 0
The AVIC-S1 is almost ten years old. And it was f---+ng expensive when it first came out, that's why it was such a disappointment when Pioneer stopped map updates after 2008.

And oh yeah it's running Windows CE. If you plug it into a PC it gives you access to a couple of folders and that's it, just like my i930 does. I managed to get my AVIC into a memory test/flashing mode but stopped there, as I have nothing to hack it with, or even any way of restoring it lol... Not that I really care anyway. A GPS with 10 year old map data is damn near useless to me. Probably useless to the doomsday nuts as well lol

I did google it, looks interesting. And priced from $400 and up. WOOOOW. This is the link of installation:

It's from 2013 but we started messing with our GPS like 2007-2008, I think. When Iphone was just released. There a lot of related links I saw too. I feel so cool that I can play emu games on my GPS, watch live TV, movies, music, skype, web surf, chat, I even have that touchpen coz when I use chat I use the touchpen to write the reply on my GPS screen instead of typing for coolness effect, LOL.. And of course load any brand maps like tomtom and garmin, Yeah that GPS hack rocks. I remember I downloaded Juno that hit movie and was watching it on my GPS when it is currently being shown on theaters. Also remember watching Michael Jackson funeral live on CNN on my GPS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just want to say coz of my GPS hack, it is the very reason why Iphone and Steve Jobs did not impress me at all. What they are is just hype and good PR marketing.

To remain on topic OP maybe you can try this:

It's supposedly a splashtop remote controller I don't know if this is the same video I watch but the video I watch he access his windows remotely and can control if from his phone right? But all he does is watch his downloaded videos on his 'windows' phone. Like really dude? What a waste. Like his android phone can't access his cloud storage where can save his videos? Some people...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones