Windows live messenger

Last Updated:

1. eteyen1

eteyen1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

From reading through the posts, there apparently isnt an official client for android (yet?) and people advise to go for things like meebo? My question is this, WLM for iphone does push messages even when you are not signed in so I am wondering if any of these other clients do the same? basically I am running out of texts and my girlfriend has an iphone and has downloaded WLM. I want to be able to chat to her, preferably with push so I dont have to be signed in the whole time, only when i need to in order to sort of replace texts

Advertisement
  2. nofear

nofear Well-Known Member

No push, but I use MSN Talk.

3. eteyen1

thanks nofear, is that only for MSN Talk? anyone have any info on the other clients like mmebo? Please can I get answers?

4. ivanzorkic

ivanzorkic Well-Known Member

I use Nimbuzz for MSN (and others, like Skype). You can choose to autostart it with phone and add a notification bar icon - it will push MSN messages when you're signed in same as gtalk (I don't understand how you can recieve messages when you're not signed in - that's weird).

If you don't want people to see you online and still recieve IM messages from your gf, just go invisible.

5. Kryten2k35

Kryten2k35 Well-Known Member

MSN Talk works really well :)

6. AllyOmally

AllyOmally Member

I use MSN Droid.... when ur signed in ur signed in and when you sign out your signed out!!!! None of that every time I switch WIFI on everything auto logs in I HATE THAT!!!

7. mamps52

mamps52 Member

Msn talk is the best in my opinion...however ive never really used it for long periods..too scared about how much data it would eat up...

But can anyone confirm how much data is uses in a day if left constantly on?

8. mamps52

mamps52 Member

Msn talk is the best in my opinion...however ive never really used it for long periods..too scared about how much data it would eat up...

But can anyone confirm how much data is uses in a day if left constantly on?

9. jeremy_inc

jeremy_inc Well-Known Member

I like MSN Talk the best too (though would prefer an official one). Not sure what you mean by Push MSN messages, but its one of the only ones that allows you to receive messages while in offline mode, and also allows signing in at multiple places.

10. eteyen1

thanks guys

and jeremy_inc, I think what you said about receiving messages in offline mode is what I mean by push messaging. But just to confirm what you mean- does that mean i have to be signed in, but appearing as offline and I c an still receive messages? Or can I not be signed in and receive messages? Also, if its the first, in offline mode, does it still use data? or only when you send and receive messages?

11. jeremy_inc

jeremy_inc Well-Known Member

You have to be signed in (the app runs in the background) but you can choose to appear offline while still having conversations (like in the Windows version). I dont understand the difference between a "push message" and a normal MSN message....
    I'm sure it still uses a small amount of data to tell the server it is still there, I've never really checked.

12. eteyen1

well I would be quite happy with appearing offline and still receving messages, although currently and I dont dont if thats the way its meant to work, I can only receive messages when I appear offline, I cant send them?

Also, does having it running in the background constantly have a great effect on battery life?

13. nofear

nofear Well-Known Member

Guys MSN Talk uses next to nothing. Mine is constantly on via 3G. I've never been over 10% of my allowance of 1.02gb allowance

14. Wardogz

Wardogz Well-Known Member

ebuddy works very well

15. eteyen1

ah I see, thanks nofear. Now my last questions (sorry for all the questions) are these: I have recently installed juice denfender, and it turns my 3g off whenever the screen isnt on, and turns it on for 1min every 15min for background syncing. Now, with msn talk, everytime my screen goes off, a message comes on to say its lost connection and I have to sign in again, which obv means I cant receive offline messages. Is there a way aorund this? In the settings, I had turned off, automatically reconnect when connection lost and I'm wondering if this is the cause? And if so, if I turn that back on, will it still allow juice defender to turn off the 3G or will it keep switching it on to keep me signed in?

And second question: Will having it on all the time with me signed in affect battery a lot?

Thanks guys