Windows Media Player doesn't play Atrix (GP3) Video FilesSupport

Last Updated:

1. who4ever

who4ever Active Member

I'm a newbee. Just moved some recent camcorder videos to my pc running Windows XP and tried to play the videos I took but Windows Media Player said it didn't have the right codecs. How do I play my camcorder videos on my Windows PC? Thanks

Advertisement
  2. ke6guj

ke6guj New Member

if WMP said you don't have the right codecs, then you need to DL and install them.

You can use a codec analyzer like g-spot to determine which codec the video has.
  3. who4ever

who4ever Active Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply. But upon reading up on this further, it seems that the Atrix camcorder records in a file type that is not readable by pc's unless the file is converted. And it seems to work backwards also. If I move a movie file from pc to Atrix, I don't believe it will know how to play it. It seems that as incredible the Atrix is, in many instances it is one step forwards and two steps back. Anyone care to add to this?
  4. Evil.Bonsai

Evil.Bonsai Well-Known Member

Depends on how YOUR movie file is encoded. There are MANY formats, but so long as your using one that runs on the Atrix, you'll have no issues. I've encoded more than a few dvds to stream to my PS3 and they play just fine on the Atrix. There are some posts here in the Atrix forums with details on how to do this.

As for playing videos from the Atrix, I don't think WMP has ever supported cell phone videos. Quicktime works just fine, however.
  5. UnCommonGrafx

UnCommonGrafx Member

If you are speaking of the movie format ...

Ah, I see the answer above: quicktime.
  6. who4ever

who4ever Active Member

What types of movie files CAN the Atrix read? If I have to convert my videos, what are the best file types to convert them to. Thanks
  7. ke6guj

ke6guj New Member

OK, I just tried it myself and my PC will play Artix camcorder files right out of the phone, no conversion needed, even played directly from the phone's storage. This is in Windows Media Player on Windows 7. No additional codecs were installed on my computer to specically play these videos, but my PVR software might have installed an mpeg-4 codec as part of the install. g-spot says that it is an H.264/Mpeg-4 file and there is this info as well, Codecs.com :: Guides : An easy way to play 3GP files . And the couple of videos I copied from the PC to the atrix worked fine as well. You just need to make sure whatever you are trying to play on that device uses a codec that device knows about.