• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows mobile 6.5 isn't that bad....

AndroidSPCS

Android Expert
Nov 12, 2009
USA
My wife is on a legacy Sprint plan, that she's very happy with. So I upgraded her to the HTC Touch Pro 2 with the instant discount online. :D

This was my first experience with Windows Mobile, and I played with it heavily the last few days, to set it up and tweak it exactly to her preferences.

I have to say, I'm very impressed with the HTC Touch Pro 2 hardware wise, and the software (HTC Touch Flow & Windows Mobile 6.5) are really not that bad. It's still clunky and overly-complex for most people, but for me who loves gadgets and figuring it out, it wasn't too bad.

I still love Android, but if I went back in time to last year when I had known more about the HTC Touch Pro 2, I might have gotten one and used it until this year with the 4G Android phones...

What I really like about the HTC Touch Pro 2:
-nice hardware
-easy user interface
-full web experience
-seems pretty snappy

What i didn't like so far:
-too many interfaces (Touch Flow, Win Mobile, multiple settins screens)
-somewhat slower processor compared to the newer phones of today (but still seems decent compared to my Samsung Moment)

I now have all major phones / platforms except for Nokia. I have iPhone, Blackberry, Android, and Win Mobile... :D

It's nice to have options.

PS - played with the iPhone 4 recently, and the Droid X, both are very nice phones / hardware. It's a great time to be a gadget person!!

When I first left the iphone I tried the eris and it was too slow, then I got the samsung omnia 2 on release day. Winmo 6.5 was terrible IMHO. I couldn't stand it for more than a week and I really tried to like it because I didn't want a keyboard. I gave in and got the droid anyway, best decision I ever made. Winmo doesn't even begin to compare with android

Upvote 0
I have to disagree. I hated WinMo 6.5. You have to tweak it like crazy just to make it stable. It has it's advantages but it's just too clunky. It still looks like windows 3.1 hell, and it's horrible without a stylus unless you have a heavily reworked UI ala HTC Sense. I've heard though that the Touch Pro 2 can boot Android. Check out xda developers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones