Windows Mobile to AndroidGeneral

Last Updated:

1. RawlingsSc

RawlingsSc Well-Known Member Contributor This Topic's Starter

OK, so I'm going to be headed in to the store on Thursday to get my DI. I'm going to be coming over from an XV6900 running Windows Mobile 6.1. I noticed that someone had a blog all about going from BlackBerry to Android, and I wondered if anyone had something similar for my situation? I'd love to make the transition as painless as possible. :rolleyes:

So, anyone with experience have words of wisdom for me?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. gbenj

gbenj Well-Known Member

I'm coming from xv6800 to incredible. I have all my contacts and calendar items synced with gmail, so when i start up the incredible it should pull them all for that.

Not sure what else you want to transfer, but im looking forward to getting rid of the rest of the crap on there and getting started with android. (except for lack of slingplayer for the time being)

3. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

RawlingsSc likes this.
  4. CheezWiz

CheezWiz Well-Known Member

Touch Pro to Inc for me.. and I will too be missing my slingplayer... Not for long I hope.

5. RawlingsSc

I was kind of hoping to use HTCsync to get my contacts and calendar from Outlook onto the phone. Am I being overly optimistic? I read about doing the .csv file for moving contacts to gmail, but it said that any contacts without email addresses would be ignored. I have tons of those and would rather not have to put them in by hand. It strikes me that I would also have to put all my contact pictures in by hand after getting them into gmail.

Aside from that, just wondering about what people use in place of the task list, notes, other favorite apps from WinMo. For tasks and notes, something that syncs to Outlook would be nice, but not required.

6. RawlingsSc

7. gbenj

gbenj Well-Known Member

What i was thinking of doing was:

If we get a way to do wifi tethering, then we could still use our winmo devices for sling, with incredibles as hotspots.

Dont know too much about rooting or app development, but it should be possible.

One thing the Pre has over us, and its a big one, wifi tethering for free now.

8. darewinder

darewinder Well-Known Member

omnia to incredible here. I wil ltake a look at these tips

9. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

I can't stress enough the importance of having a backup of your personal information. That's why PIM Backup is one of the first things I load after flashing a ROM (unless it's cooked in).

The only other thing I can think of is to make note of any Exchange server settings in case you want to set up your Incredible to sync with it.

10. joehero

joehero Active Member

What about the pictures associated with the contacts? I know Microsoft MyPhone and Outlook have them, but when doing a sync to GMail, it only takes the text. Any suggestions?

11. chadwick108

chadwick108 Well-Known Member

try sprite backup 5.1

12. Flyguy94

Flyguy94 Well-Known Member

Coming from a Samsung Saga and I backed up to Gmail I'm hoping the contacts without email will sync.

13. hexto

hexto Guest

I use a VX6900 that I converted from WM6.5 to Android and I pre-ordered my Incredible on Saturday. If you use Outlook you can export the contacts to a CSV file then upload them to Gmail. Its the best way cause when you log into Gmail on your new Android phone it'll automatically import your contacts within minutes of turning it on. I believe the Calendar can be exported the same way.

Trust me, I went to Android on a phone that was not meant to run Android and I couldn't be happier with it. It beats WM and Blackberry which my company still uses. You all will be much happier with Android :)

14. Jedi54

Jedi54 Well-Known Member

I'm also going from the VX6900 so thanks to all who have contributed so far.
    I have PIM back up already, incredibly good app.

15. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

i am too and i synced to google fine

16. Capeguy

Capeguy Well-Known Member

If I import my contacts into Google Voice from Outlook using a csv file, will that work as well in getting your contacts onto the Incredible?

Thanks

17. RawlingsSc

Thanks for the help. I just got my contacts and calendar to sync from my phone to google. Seemed to work pretty seamlessly. There was one thing that I had to do by hand. The contacts I had in gmail before had to be added from the "All Contacts" section to the "My Contacts" section. Luckily I only had a few there.

18. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

I don't use Google Voice. It's honestly just as easy to import them into Gmail from Outlook.

Capeguy likes this.
  19. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

Yea, once I got my contacts into Gmail I spent some time getting them all prettied up and sorted into groups. That way when I get my Incredible I can pick and choose which groups I want synced to my phone.

20. gparadox

gparadox Well-Known Member

I also am going from a XV6900 to Incredible. Pretty cool that there are so many of us.

21. Jedi54

Jedi54 Well-Known Member

yeah, I'm quite surprised how many XV6900 owners are out there.
    I've had this phone for almost 2 years now, definitely overdue for an upgrade. :D:

22. RawlingsSc

Yeah, I'm getting really sick of my only partially working GPS, and no flash support, and no wifi, etc. etc. etc. ad infinito. I must admit there are some games I will miss, but I look forward to finding out what Android has to offer. :D