Windows not responding

Last Updated:

1. Aaron76

Aaron76 New Member This Topic's Starter

I all,
    I have a problem on my Windows Vista that began afetr the purchase of an external Hard Disk Freecom.
    A few days afetr the purchase I disconnected it while it was writing and, since that moment, every time I connect and disconnect it, the PC go to freeze mode for 5 minutes.
    The same thing happen even if the hard disk is disconnected: every time I start windows it go to freeze a little after the password, and every time I connect and disconnect a usb device.
    I have looked for the solution everywhere, updated windows, unistalled and installed the hard disk from the device manager but I solved the problem only when I restored a recent backup.
    Yesterday the Hard disk was writing a backup while Vista was installing the updates; at the end of the proceure windows restarted automatically and the problem began again!!!
    The Pc go to freeze when it starts, every time I connect or disconnect the hard disk, an usb earphone that has always worked switch on but there is no audio and I don't know how many others usb devices will have problems.
    Has anyone an idea to solve this problem before I throw out of the window Vista or the the hard disk?
    Thank you

Advertisement
  2. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

One thing to do when you get it fixed again, make sure write caching is disabled for that HDD in device manager.

3. SoulTerror

SoulTerror Well-Known Member

Sounds like a possible driver issue to me.

Is your BIOS up to date? Might be another thing to look into. I would start with those two things since they are the easyist to do.

4. lildegregs22

lildegregs22 Well-Known Member

I would try reformatting the computer and see if that solves the problem, I know its a hassle but that's what happens when you interrupt the computer when it's writing something in my experience.

5. GIR

GIR Well-Known Member

First try the HDD is another machine to see if you can replicate the fault. If so then you can return it for a refund due it not being fit for purpose.

Seeing as support for vista is about to be dropped (Microsoft slams nails in Windows Vista, XP SP2, 2000 ? The Register) and that these sorts of problems litter every windows user's experince, then you are left with a choice: keep banging your head against the same wall, or grow and learn of another way...

Just my input.

6. SoulTerror

SoulTerror Well-Known Member

If possible I would try the HDD on another Vista machine. I'm wondering if it's not even compatible with Vista.

7. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

Your computer might be trying to index your External HDD. Try leaving it on for at least 8 hours (I would suggest the entire day) before unplugging. :)