• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Windows on phone?

Running it native, not at all. Win NT kernel is built originally for x86 architecture, most phones run on an Arm architecture. Drivers wouldn't be an issue, windows would probably see them as generic since there isn't a lot of source for them. Only way to do it is emulation, but on hardware such as a 1ghz cpu and only 512 mb of ram(which compared to a desktop running Windows XP, the memory is probably so slow and not dual channel so it would take an even bigger performance hit.), emulating it would take most of the processing power the phone has just for sub performance. Windows 95 or 98 was ported to Android and doesn't even run all that great.

Upvote 0
My first PDA was running windows CE 2.1. I was running NT4.0 and MSoffice 2000 on my laptop at the time and my pda had a 200MHz cpu and my laptop 233MHz. I started looking at NT embeded and wondered why I couldn't just have Nt4 and Office 97 on my pda, it had enough power to do it.
I started messing with wearable systems and such and could find whole computer systems that would fit on a gum stick sized form factor, but MSwindows was always the limiting factor, either took too much cpu/ram/disk or the bug in early xpembedded that wouldn't let it run from read only.
Thats one of the issues that brought me over to Linux and open source, there was no forced upgrade like windows and the linux kernel will run on nearly anything. Android is the closest I've come to having the on my desktop and my pda. I can access the console and root my phone so the next step is to take a simple linux tool and recompile it for the phone and see if it will run outside the jvm running android.
Once you get off of the Microsoft/Apple closed model it becomes possible to make things happen. All thats needed is to make a window manager that will work with the phone's hardware and use it instead of kde/gnome.

Upvote 0
My first PDA was running windows CE 2.1. I was running NT4.0 and MSoffice 2000 on my laptop at the time and my pda had a 200MHz cpu and my laptop 233MHz. I started looking at NT embeded and wondered why I couldn't just have Nt4 and Office 97 on my pda, it had enough power to do it.
I started messing with wearable systems and such and could find whole computer systems that would fit on a gum stick sized form factor, but MSwindows was always the limiting factor, either took too much cpu/ram/disk or the bug in early xpembedded that wouldn't let it run from read only.
Thats one of the issues that brought me over to Linux and open source, there was no forced upgrade like windows and the linux kernel will run on nearly anything. Android is the closest I've come to having the on my desktop and my pda. I can access the console and root my phone so the next step is to take a simple linux tool and recompile it for the phone and see if it will run outside the jvm running android.
Once you get off of the Microsoft/Apple closed model it becomes possible to make things happen. All thats needed is to make a window manager that will work with the phone's hardware and use it instead of kde/gnome.

Um... yes... thats exactly what i was thinking.......:cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones