• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

windows or android

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S5 as does my wife. The restriction with the SD card is too much.
I love Win 10 and before I buy it I want to be sure I can install the mobile Google drive app.
I am fairly good with the desktop both soft and hardware but only low level with the phone. I basically stick to mainstream as I cannot afford to lose it due to an error.
So, here's hoping I can do a traditional download and install or it may change the game.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't just assume that you can use the Android app on Windows 10 phone, and haven't found evidence that there is a version for Windows Phone. They are quite different platforms, and a quick web search for using Google Drive on Windows 10 phone didn't look very encouraging. I would make absolutely sure before spending money on a new device.

Reactions: Dannydet and mikedt
Upvote 0
I just got an email which said to use cloud drive. I coud not open the link with the google phone but could with the windows PC.
I think MS cloud is OK cross platform but not so with google drive.
I did find a work around so ms and google is accessible and all is backed up - not always in sync but at least updated weekly.

Upvote 0
There are 3 apps to access drive with the windows phone, metro being the best.
I agree with you that am in the minority as i like the Lumia 950. It is cheap b/c they are clearing out the inventory. Only Att carries them. I am in a box as I do like windows phones and not apple or android.
I would wonder about support if MS surface ever came to be, or in general.
You need a crystal ball with MS.

Upvote 0
I thought the writing was on the wall for Windows Phone devices, was when the local Microsoft Store ceased stocking them, about 18 months ago now. And then the first mentions and rumours of Nokia going over Android. Many of the useful apps I use on a daily basis, are only available for Android or iOS.

AFAIK MS Surface devices run regular desktop Windows, exactly the same as any PC. There was Windows RT, which was a failure and quietly discontinued.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a lot of investigating to do into this Smartphone issue There are many variables to consider but thanks for your help about the windows dying out.
I would guess most people use an android phone due to pricing of apple.
If the iPhone was priced right and the OS was somewhat like something I am used to be it android or windows, I wold try it but, when I look up phones they are still selling phones like my Galaxy S5 besides new ones. It seems like a big trick.
I guess you have to pay 56$ a month(wife too) and besides the plan and activation.
Heavy money for social security - back to work at 77 :thinking:

Upvote 0
I have a lot of investigating to do into this Smartphone issue there are many variables to consider but thanks for your help about the windows dying out. I wrote a nice letter here but because the first part was by phone and the 2nd by PC it was dropped off.
All I was saying is due to the demand for phones the consumer is getting played.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
I was a Windows Phone developer an swore by it. They were the leader. Then Apple came along and nailed them. Then Android came along and nailed Apple. (The second nailing is still underway.)

The issues ... competition and investment.

It takes about $800 to setup an environment to develop Windows or Apple apps. It cost $0 to develop Android apps.

With Windows and Apple one company is in total control of what evolves. In Android there is a constant ongoing competition that is driving everything forward. Google would love to control it. They don't. They help direct it.

Bottom line ... some 13 year old genius can develop an app in Android in his bedroom.

I switched to Android when the Motorola Droid X (not Moto X) was released.

... Thom

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I was a Windows Phone developer an swore by it. They were the leader. Then Apple came along and nailed them. Then Android came along and nailed Apple. (The second nailing is still underway.)

The issues ... competition and investment.

It takes about $800 to setup an environment to develop Windows or Apple apps. It cost $0 to develop Android apps.

Well you do need a PC to develop Android apps, and if you haven't got one, that could be around $800, give or take. And to develop for iOS you need a Mac of course, but Xcode is free. Don't know how much Microsoft charges for Visual Studio or whatever Windows Phone development needs, and of course can only develop in Windows, and not Linux.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones