• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows or Linux?

Which do you prefer

• Windows

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Linux

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • Neither, I'm a Mac user

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Honestly couldn't care less/like both

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
Hopefully this thread won't go too P&CA. ;) And are we including Android here? Because Android is a Linux based OS, that I see as a very serious threat to Windows now, on laptop, desktop and all-in-one computers. Even Microsoft are making their Office products for Android now.

I prefer a Linux OS on my laptops really because of the country I live and work in. Microsoft makes it very difficult to use a legal non-PRC version of Windows in China. I don't really need DRM and government backdoors in the OS I use.

The Windows registry is a really horrible legacy thing from Win 95. Which is a huge ball of data that every program dumps its stuff in repeatedly. And if it becomes corrupted or damaged, that's it you probably have to reinstall. Most of the time PCs don't come with installation media, so get the restore DVD out and back to factory defaults it goes. The other serious problem with the registry, is that it grows, especially when installing and uninstalling software. So often uninstallers fail to remove the junk that's no longer required. And a bloated registry is one of the main causes of Windows slowdown, because it has to churn through a lot of stuff that may no longer be required. So we have a strong aftermarket of so called registry optimisers and cleaners, for something that Microsoft really should have fixed long ago.

Linux and Mac OS X on the other hand, software stores stuff in their own directories usually in plain text files, which can easily be deleted when no longer required.

Upvote 0
For Me its not about Linux vs Windows its Freedom vs Conformity. Open source is the way to go. Windows has another major flaw in it that doesn't get very much attention from most folks and that is that it stores your personal files on the same partition as your system partition. So anything that happens to your system disk and your personal files and settings are affected. Linux allows you to have any disk drive mounted as your home drive.

Recently I had the unfortunate pleasure of having to do a clean install of Windows 8 on a computer. I updated that to 8.1 which now wants you to sign into your microsoft email account so it can save your personal setting across all your pc's. Why in the world would anyone want to allow Microsoft to have a copy of their personal settings. And what if you don't want the settings across all your computers?

Upvote 0
At the moment, I'm using Windows, but in summer I'm finally gonna go for the dual boot with Kubuntu (or maybe ubuntu)

I've also noticed the "could (instead of couldn't) care less", so here you go palmtree :D

http://androidforums.com/lounge/709599-calling-all-grammar-nazis.html (Note the misuse of the apostrophe)

edit: it was bugging me too much, I had to fix it :p

Upvote 0
I find it to be easier to configure (as opposed to dealing with the registry on Windows)

If you're digging into the registry to configure Windows then you're either (a) doing it wrong or (b) know exactly what you're doing. ;)

Windows [...] stores your personal files on the same partition as your system partition.

Only if you blindly accept the defaults. It's very easy to move the "My <filetypes>" libraries if desired - right-click the folder, select "Location" tab, choose new destination path using "Move..."... job done.

I've been using Windows as my primary OS since IBM ditched OS/2, and this current system has been running Win7 since July 2009 without a reinstall... or any issues apart from the odd display driver reset when gaming hard.

That said, I'm thinking of scrubbing one of my storage drives for a dual-boot install of the latest Linux Mint. I've been working with an Ubuntu VM recently in order to mod Android firmware archives but a proper environment would ultimately be easier to work with. Don't mark me down as a convert though... although if Adobe produce a native Linux port of Lightroom I might be persuaded to try. :)

Upvote 0
Dngrsone said:
Wow... everyone picking Linux so far.

Not me. I've enjoyed learning how burn ISOs, dual-boot, delete and start over, burn disto sticks and so on. I've come to the conclusion that as persnickety as W7HP is, I prefer it over any of the distros I've tried; all flavors of Mint, all the Buntus, even more I've forgotten. I don't dispute that Linux is more reliable in business and is preferred by other desktoppers. I keep trying but haven't been converted, although it's fun to keep tinkering with my Mint on the side.

Linux could take over the computing universe, but it never will unless they work together on a single goal... they won't.

Upvote 0
Not me. I've enjoyed learning how burn ISOs, dual-boot, delete and start over, burn disto sticks and so on. I've come to the conclusion that as persnickety as W7HP is, I prefer it over any of the distros I've tried; all flavors of Mint, all the Buntus, even more I've forgotten. I don't dispute that Linux is more reliable in business and is preferred by other desktoppers. I keep trying but haven't been converted, although it's fun to keep tinkering with my Mint on the side.

Linux could take over the computing universe, but it never will unless they work together on a single goal... they won't.

You haven't seen any Android desktops and laptops yet then? Personally I think Microsoft has a lot to be worried about.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2082...s-at-ces-including-an-android-all-in-one.html
I've seen them in stores. Go China! ...and now that Microsoft is making Office for this Linux OS, who needs Windows?

Upvote 0
Yes I have and think Mr Bill should be approaching panic, but I wasn't referring to Android as part of the greater Linux universe. I know it really is, but over time they've become quite different, at least to desktop fiddlers like me.

Yeh you're a fiddler, and I'm a fiddler as well. LOL. However people like my father and sister are not. They just don't go to sites like Distrowatch, download and install umpteen different distros. It's true that many distros do their own thing, and often there's not much budget behind them, many are entirely voluntary or are hobby projects. But then not everyone wants to be dictated to by one mega-corporation telling you what you must use and do, even though their product has defects in it. Microsoft sometimes reminds me of Omni Consumer Products from the Robocop movies, and Windows is their equivalent of ED209. In that it's clumsy, doesn't work properly, you need to spend more money on third-party products to get it working as it should, but this is what you must buy and use.

Father and sister go to the big box store to buy a new computer or laptop, it's not necessarily running Windows though. They're already familiar with Android, and something like Lenovo is a brand they know as well. I think Mr Bill should be very worried. And if there's Ubuntu computers offered for sale as well, all ready to go with everything one might need, along with big budget promotion as well. Which is happening here in China.

Upvote 0
I've been using Windows as my primary OS since IBM ditched OS/2, and this current system has been running Win7 since July 2009 without a reinstall... or any issues apart from the odd display driver reset when gaming hard.

It's sad when most people consider that an amazing feat. ;)

But.....I might have that beat. You know that legacy rig of mine I've occasionally mentioned on the forums? It's resident install of Win98SE on that is an absolute bulletproof BEAST. Installed it sometime in 1997-1998, never did a reinstall, took it through a complete cpu/mobo/RAM upgrade circa 2000, booted it up without reinstalling and.....it merely found the new hardware and asked for the mobo driver disk without collapsing! :eek: No blue screens! No instability! :eek:

I continue to use that same install to this very day on that rig, with no signs of it becoming a mess. It just does my bidding. And legacy gaming. :D

Upvote 0
Yes I have and think Mr Bill should be approaching panic, but I wasn't referring to Android as part of the greater Linux universe. I know it really is, but over time they've become quite different, at least to desktop fiddlers like me.

When Linux has a single goal, Android is what comes out of it. He"s right. The desktop Linux isn't good because if there's ever something wrong, you have little support.An average user breaks something, they have nobody to go to.

Android is very powerful. In fact I think Google is moving a bit slow in production With android, and I don't think developers are moving fast enough either. That's just me.

One day, I do think that Android tablets will compete with windows . not today thought.

Upvote 0
When Linux has a single goal, Android is what comes out of it. He"s right. The desktop Linux isn't good because if there's ever something wrong, you have little support.An average user breaks something, they have nobody to go to.

Actually desktop Linux can have very good and professional support, if you're prepared to pay for it. Using something for free you're down to community and voluntary efforts. Canonical, Red Hat, IBM etc do provide professional support for desktop Linux OSs. If one is buying an Ubuntu laptop from Lenovo, then it's Lenovo that one turns to in the event of any problems.

If Windows breaks down, it's very likely that Mr. & Mrs. Ordinary-User will be writing checks to the Geek Squad. Microsoft doesn't provide support for end-users(they only provide updates), they leave that to the PC manufacturers and other third-parties. People are not likely to be installing Android on their own computers either, it comes pre-installed, just like Windows. So either the manufacturer and/or the Geek Squad will be providing support.

My own situation, I'm down to supporting myself, because I don't really trust anyone in this neck of the woods with IT, especially Windows. So either go with Windows, and all that entails in China :rolleyes: .....or find a Linux OS that works for me and I can trust. I have a Macbook as well I use, didn't buy it though, it was given to me. Absolutely no one buys Windows in this country, not unless it comes with a new PC.

Upvote 0
If Windows breaks down, it's very likely that Mr. & Mrs. Ordinary-User will be writing checks to the Geek Squad. Microsoft doesn't provide support for end-users(they only provide updates), they leave that to the PC manufacturers and other third-parties. People are not likely to be installing Android on their own computers either, it comes pre-installed, just like Windows. So either the manufacturer and/or the Geek Squad will be providing support.

Actually not true these days. With Windows 8 you can buy a year of support for about $150. Not worth it in my opinion. Or you can buy that device directly from the Microsoft store, (not best buy) and then you will have the Microsoft signature on that computer. Anything goes wrong, take it to them.

Especially for the Surface tablets. Anything goes wrong. Take it to them. Microsoft is moving in a new direction with computers. A good direction

As for Linux... Sure there are communities that offer their help. But not to be rude, their useless in my opinion. If a company like Lenovo or Canonical can easily support anything that goes wrong, that's what the desktop Linux needs. As for a consumer, desktop Linux is not a option. Stick to Windows and Mac. For professional things, well. I'm bias. I really, really like Windows.

Upvote 0
As for a consumer, desktop Linux is not a option.
Sorry, but this is outright rubbish. :eek: If you say that YOU cannot make desktop Linux workable for YOU, great! But don't summarily dismiss it. As I've said a zillion and a half times, if my totally computer illiterate 80+ year old mother, who had used nothing but window$ for decades, could use Linux, all day, every day, it's definitely an option for desktop users. End users. Not just *nix geeks like me.

It actually bothers me that you're not aware of how wonderful desktop Linux is these days. It's a shame, considering how much better it is than window$ will ever be. And it's free. If you'd like to try again, let us know and we'll point you to some amazing distros. Everyone here knows that I'm hopelessly partial to Kubuntu, but there are many other fine choices out there as well.

For professional things, well. I'm bias. I really, really like Windows.
Again, that's your opinion. And you're absolutely entitled to it! I can't even IMAGINE using window$ professionally.

Upvote 0
Actually not true these days. With Windows 8 you can buy a year of support for about $150. Not worth it in my opinion. Or you can buy that device directly from the Microsoft store, (not best buy) and then you will have the Microsoft signature on that computer. Anything goes wrong, take it to them.

Think that's only in the US though. Anywhere else like the EU, sure my father and sister are going to the Geek Squad or Tech Guys or whatever, or are depending on the manufacturers to support it. And I've certainly never seen a Microsoft Store or a signature PC, not in the PRC.

Especially for the Surface tablets. Anything goes wrong. Take it to them. Microsoft is moving in a new direction with computers. A good direction

As for Linux... Sure there are communities that offer their help. But not to be rude, their useless in my opinion.

Sure Windows communities can be like that as well, that's if Mr. & Mrs. Average-User can't afford the Geek Squad, or pay the $150 bucks to Microsoft. :p

...to be frank when it comes to tech communities, Android Forums is very much an exception to the rule in my experience.

If a company like Lenovo or Canonical can easily support anything that goes wrong, that's what the desktop Linux needs. As for a consumer, desktop Linux is not a option.

It is an option if a manufacturer is making making Linux machines. Like Lenovo, Great Wall or Founder with their Ubuntu systems. Which they do support.

How about a Mint Box? :thumbup:
Compulab Mintbox 2: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Stick to Windows and Mac. For professional things, well. I'm bias. I really, really like Windows.

Yeh and when my father and sister in the UK get a virus they have to pay for professional support, i.e. Geek Squad or Tech Guys, because I'm not around to help them and fix it in person, I'm 9,000km away.

BTW my sister emailed me a few days ago from Oxford, asking about whether she should renew the Mcafee subscription on her Vista laptop, as well confirming dates for when I'm in the UK. Think I'll buy her a Chromebook as a present.

Upvote 0
Here's something I came across recently in an AF thread, that would very likely have caught the average non-techy Windows user out, e.g. my father or sister.

It's a file upload and sharing site, that had video000.mp4.exe. I was using Linux Mint, which doesn't know what to do with .exe files of course, but it shows them though.
69355d1396431904-forgot-pattern-tablet-videoexe.jpg

Note the browser tab and URL says "video000.mp4" and not "video000.mp4.exe", so was clearly designed to deceive.

Windows by default hides the file suffix, so it would appeared as an MP4 video and not an executable program, which was quite likely to be malware of some sort. That runs when you try to view what you think is an MP4 video.

It was from a thread about a locked tablet, the OP uploaded a video of trying to unlock his tablet to the sharing site, but then the site was trying to download this .exe to anyone who clicked on the URL(the suspect URL has now been removed)...even when not running Windows. Apparently the OP couldn't upload his video to YouTube because of censoring. So he was forced to some other site that targets a very long standing security problem in Windows, i.e. hiding and misrepresenting file types.

This is how CryptoLocker was distributed, by disguising an .exe as a .pdf. Came as email attachments and website downloads, something like document.pdf.exe.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones