• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows Vista vs My MyTouch 3G

jadedgemini

Lurker
Jan 18, 2010
I hate for my first thread/post to be one about something that's probably been hashed and re-hashed over and over again, but I figure I've come to the right place for help.

I just got the T-Mobile MyTouch 3G, and I love it! My Windows Vista PC, however, doesn't share the sentiment. Like others in threads and posts I've read all over, my computer will tell me to "please insert a disk in drive F" when I drag and drop something into the USB Mass Storage Device that is my MyTouch. When I enable USB Debug mode, (at the advice of an article found via Google), my computer will recognize my phone as an HTC Android phone, but I still have no means of transferring files over.

I've gone to another site and read it through and downloaded the Android SDK, but it doesn't work as shown. Every time I open it, it says it "failed to fetch" something and pretty much goes nowhere. I've unmounted, formatted and re-mounted my SD card. When my computer and phone recognize each other, (more often than not, simultaneously), I always use the mount option given. Still nothing.

I'm something akin to a computer idiot, and this is my first smartphone. There has to be something pretty elementary that I'm just overlooking. Can someone walk me through some simple steps and help me out? I know I'm not alone in my problem.

All help is deeply appreciated!
JG

I hate for my first thread/post to be one about something that's probably been hashed and re-hashed over and over again, but I figure I've come to the right place for help.

I just got the T-Mobile MyTouch 3G, and I love it! My Windows Vista PC, however, doesn't share the sentiment. Like others in threads and posts I've read all over, my computer will tell me to "please insert a disk in drive F" when I drag and drop something into the USB Mass Storage Device that is my MyTouch. When I enable USB Debug mode, (at the advice of an article found via Google), my computer will recognize my phone as an HTC Android phone, but I still have no means of transferring files over.

I've gone to another site and read it through and downloaded the Android SDK, but it doesn't work as shown. Every time I open it, it says it "failed to fetch" something and pretty much goes nowhere. I've unmounted, formatted and re-mounted my SD card. When my computer and phone recognize each other, (more often than not, simultaneously), I always use the mount option given. Still nothing.

I'm something akin to a computer idiot, and this is my first smartphone. There has to be something pretty elementary that I'm just overlooking. Can someone walk me through some simple steps and help me out? I know I'm not alone in my problem.

All help is deeply appreciated!
JG

The sdcard drive must me mounted to format or exchange files ... you said you unmounted, formatted, remounted .... I am not sure you are doing things in the proper order.

When you connect the phone to the computer .. you will get the notification on the phone ... that is when you mount the sdcard as a drive that the computer will see as a usb drive ... when finished (always) close/unmount the sdcard before disconnecting it from the computer.

Hopefully when you formatted the sdcard you did so with FAT32

Upvote 0
In order to allow syncing between your mytouch and your pc before connecting your phone to the pc the memorycard must be unmounted on the phone for some reason. Access the settings for the phone, sd card and phone settings, and unmount the sd card. Connect the phone to your pc and mount the memory card and you should be all set. With mine, and windows 7 don't even have to manually mount the memory card when I connect the phone everytime any more. Hope this helps, Happy Syncing. :)

Upvote 0

When you connect the phone to the computer .. you will get the notification on the phone ... that is when you mount the sdcard as a drive that the computer will see as a usb drive ... when finished (always) close/unmount the sdcard before disconnecting it from the computer.

This is the only thing that anyone needs to know. Pull the notification bar down and mount your phone after you've plugged it into your computer. Then your computer no matter what build will recognize it as a mass storage unit. Then just drag and drop any files you'd like to your SD card.

You must then remove your phone like you would any other thumb drive, by removing the disk by way of ejecting it. Then Turn off the mounting on your phone in the notification bar.

Remember your SD card needs to be formatted to FAT32.

I've used XP, Vista, 7, and Mac OSX with this procedure, it works. You don't need to install any drivers or anything, just plug and play.

Now syncing, like syncing music, videos, pictures is another thing. In my opinion, for Music syncing, Media Monkey Gold v3.2 is the best choice. For videos and pictures, just drag and drop manually.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Mine syncs through all apps just fine. media player, windows, real player. you simply have to unmount the card through the phones settings first. the SD card cannot be mounted by both systems simultaneously.

What do you mean? Does you computer sync your apps to a folder on your computer? And it works with Windows Media Player or Real Player?

I can't unmount the SD from my phone while its in my phone and on because of my Cyanogen Rom running, it uses Apps2SD so my apps are installed on my SD card and if I unmount it then I couldn't run anything on my phone.

Upvote 0
Yes, I can sync anything I want, just as any other phone would and I suspect that your rom would be part of the reason why your phone won't sync as it should.

Hmmm, interesting! So another question, what program, if any, syncs it? Or is it Windows? I don't really have a need for it, I'm just curious about it. I mean I have all the music and pictures on my phone I want and need, and not very often do I download new music or take new pictures of importance that I need on my computer. And then if I do, I have no problem dragging and dropping. I mean I had the syncing with my old Nokia 5310 I used and it had like an official Nokia software for it, so I'm wondering how it will work for Android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones