• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windy Weather app: Malware?

RhP

Lurker
Oct 17, 2011
Hey,

I have the Galaxy S2. I was searching through Setting -> Applications in order to delete apps I no longer use, and I discovered two live wallpapers: Ocean Weather and Windy Weather that I'm unable to delete.

I don't recall downloading them (although I may have done), but either way the fact that I can't get rid of them suggests to me that they might be malware. My two questions are

1. Does anyone know about these apps. Are they harmful?

2. How the hell do I get rid of them?!

Thanks for your anticipated help

Yes, these 2 app appears out of the blue today on my Samsung note.

They are not visible on applications page

but can be located by going into settings, applications (from settings), While locating them there, they look ominously like malware as all the tabs are darkened.

I only discovered their existence after I downloaded "Apps Share", and they were in the list of applications that can be shared.

They look really suspicious. Can someone help?

Upvote 0
If a wallpaper has installed as a device administrator that would make me suspicious!

Apart from that I don't know how you can block uninstallation of an installed app, esp on an unrooted phone.

A web search dug up several references to "secret" wallpapers on several galaxy devices, but not in what way they were secret. Windy Weather was mentioned in one though. Don't know if this is relevant.

Upvote 0
Yeah they are just live wallpapers, windy weather came preinstalled on my s3. I think it's kind of cool actually, it will change depending on the weather outside and also night/day. I just question it's battery and data usage.

If it's preinstalled you can't get rid of it without root, can you not disable apps on the s2 like you can on the s3?

Upvote 0
So, after 8 years on this forum, no one has actually answered the question.

Looking at the 2012 posts, I still don't see an answer for uninstalling Windy.

I'm most concerned that it downloaded an unwanted search engine that took over Chrome.
I followed a Youtube recommendation and seem to have overcome the unwanted search engine. Still think Windy is not what I want on my machine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones