Winning them over, one at a time...

Last Updated:

1. jeremytanner

jeremytanner Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My wife was dead-set on getting an iPhone. She'd been wanting one since they first came out, and loves her ipod touch. So I let her play with my Captivate for a couple of hours, and suddenly, forget the iPhone. We picked up her Captivate today.

Which brings us to number two. Stopped in the AT&T store to get the phone, and the guy kept trying to push an iPhone on her instead. But she was set on the Captivate. So he finally turned to me and asked what was so great about my phone. I started listing off reasons. Anyway, long story short, we spent an extra 30 minutes in there with him checking out my Captivate, and when we left, he was seriously considering getting one. He had no idea what was sitting there in front of him all this time. ;)

Regardless of the issues, this phone still turns heads....

Advertisement
  2. 3gAndroid

3gAndroid Well-Known Member

I truly prefer my Captivate over my iPhone 4. For one thing the 4.0" display is especially nice and after only 10 days it made the iPhone's 3.5" display seem smaller than it is. Especially when the keyboard is present while composing an email or a post for the forum here. Also the iPhones lack of Swype, is a real deal breaker now that I'm hooked on it.

Considering the head start that Apples had, I can only imagine how good the Android OS will be as it continues to develop. I'm really eager to see what Gingerbread is like.

I've also gotten a brief glimpse up close of the new HTC Desire HD, without a doubt that will be one of my next Android models. Between the quality of the phone and it's blazing speed it's simply stellar.

Cheers... :)

3. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

My wife also considered the i4 over any other phone. I sometimes tease her and tell her stuff like can I see your ipod nano (small screen)

4. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member

Has this been confirmed for AT&T yet? If so this will be the perfect replacement for my Captivate!

5. 3gAndroid

Not yet. It operates on AT&T's frequencies (not T-Mobile) which is encouraging . Based on what I know about this phone it's nearly too good to be true. I've owned a lot of smartphones on a variety of platforms, and I'm here to say the Desire HD is one very impressive model. I'm hard pressed to find any shortcomings. That's saying a lot.

6. lrs421

lrs421 Active Member

My wife has an iphone 4 and although my Captivate has had me shaking my head as of late I still think it's the best phone on At&t. But...Apple fans love their Apples. Convert as many of them as you can :)

7. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member

I guess we could only pray that God will bestow upon us his personal phone.

8. CASUAL

CASUAL Well-Known Member

i bought mine at best buy and i went there to check out the captivate in person..i showed up and they only had the plastic demo version...

the lady kept trying and trying to sell me the iphone 4 and i told her no...
    i got mad and told her the "iphone 4 sucks!!!" i pointed to the captivate and said "this phone right here is better in everyway.."
    she didnt know anything about the captivate she looked at the cheap plastic demo captivate and still swore that the iphone 4 was her god...
    very very annoying

9. nybmx

nybmx Well-Known Member

Haha I feel like i'm one of the few people who didn't have an at&t employee push the iPhone on them. The girl that helped me said she had a captivate while she was ringing me up. She was talking about how awesome it was and kept asking if I wanted to see demos of the software, including swype.

10. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

People do love the captivate when they see it

"Oh my god, that is such a pretty screen"

this guy was like that phone looks to big for your hands and i am like okay whatever

it is a head turner most definitely!

Beautifully made(even with it's flaws)

maybe not the best performing phone but in the ranks of my various Droid models, Evo, and Iphone...it is the best looking phone i have used to date with my xperia a close second

11. 3gAndroid

What a great story.... :)

It's so true, AT&T Core Store Employees do tend to push the iPhone hard.

In some ways I think it's their subconscious telling them if they push the "simple to operate, everybody has one, don't you want to be cool? phone" it's the easy way to make a sale without having to do much....ha...ha...ha...ha...

Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing the iPhone, heck I even have one of those (sheepish grin) but at least I'm not one of the fanboys, nor is it my favorite. I'm just a smartphone addict (now there's some truth)....:)

But for me the REAL truth is I've had great service from AT&T for a long time (Verizon not so much) and I was eagerly awaiting a good Android phone to be offered. I came across an article about Samsung and the Galaxy S, how it was going to be offered to the four carriers in their own variant, and that AT&T was getting one, so at that point I was sold. I bought my Captivate on launch day and I've been very happy with it. No smartphone is perfect, all of some type of issues (even the mature iPhone) and for a first generation device I think that Samsung has done a pretty good job.

I know as a phone it's greatly improved over the Samsungs I've had in the not too distant past and that alone proves they are working to improve their image in the US. Also build quality is the best of any Samsung as is many other aspects of this phone. Even with Eclair 2.1 and TouchWiz 3.0, I've optimized mine to get the most out of it and I'm quite satisifed. It does what I want, and it does it well. At the end of the day that's what most of us expect from our phones.

12. robphelan

robphelan Well-Known Member

congrats.. I just converted a coworker & his wife so far. she was using an iphone 3g, he was using an old feature phone.

13. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Want an amazing way to convert someone? Show them how easy it is to put their DVDs onto the Captivate (versus the iPhone).

I finally finished the relevant section on the upcoming Captivate FAQ site and the results are amazing. I've already done several movies and not only is the process really quick once you have the steps down, but the end-result is spectacular and looks better on the Captivate's screen than any other portable device out there. The iPhone 4 might have the better resolution/DPI, but for the sake of movies that is utterly blown-away by the more-vibrant colors and deeper-blacks of the Captivate's SAMOLED screen.

Pixar movies are the best. I just did UP and will be doing Wall-E soon.

14. 3gAndroid

I could not agree more!

Side by side my iPhone 4 & Captivate are night and day when it comes to anything other than the smallest font, when reading. Even then the difference is nothing compared to what Apple would have you believe. Apple did what Apple does best.. "smoke and mirrors" marketing.

The Captivate display is really outstanding and I find it so much better than Apples, due to the eye popping colors, great contrast, real black and overall clarity.

At Apple, they were all sitting around having lunch and one of the Apple engineers said "Hey we'll call it a Retina Display" throw a bazillion dollars into the marketing campaign and everyone will believe it's "Magical & Revolutionary"... ha..ha..ha.. yeah right!

It's nothing more than a small IPS display. Technology that's been around for years. I've got several ThinkPads from 2005 onward with IPS displays. They are very nice, but not as magical as Apple says.

15. stephlu2k

stephlu2k Well-Known Member

Can you please tell us how to put DVDs on the captivate (instead of waiting for the site to come up...and where is that site, will it be in androidforums?) I find that it's really hard to figure out how to do anything with this phone unless you read up on the forums and do lots of research...really hard for a non-technical person (no clue about rooting and flashing and all that stuff....probably would've been better off with an iphone:D).....i just end up with no music (i have music, but my windows media player playlist refuses to show up on the stock player) nor movies for 2 months. Thank you!

16. carmendiva

Lol be sure to show them the flaws so they can get the whole picture

17. jeremytanner

That's the funny part, I was very descriptive of what others are experiencing. Of course, it was a little difficult, because my GPS behaves really well, assuming I can get a lock. And I've figured out ways to jumpstart that. I kept saying, Hey, if you want rock-solid stability with a really polished interface, go iPhone.

As an update to the story, my wife was showing off her Captivate to my brother's wife, and now she's planning to get one.

The downside: I'm going to have to use a skin so I'll know my phone. Already grabbed hers once today by mistake...

18. CASUAL

CASUAL Well-Known Member

just use different wallpapers

19. jeremytanner

They were side-by-side on the table, and I didn't turn them on to see which was which. I don't blame anything except my own laziness. On screen, mine is completely different. :)

20. sremick

I will be unveiling the FAQ site later today if all goes well. I feel there's enough material now on it for us to get started and for it to start being useful, although there's plenty more to be added to it. :)

It won't be part of androidforums.com but is an entirely separate, unaffiliated site. However at the moment all the people contributing to it are members here.

21. JeanLucPicard47

JeanLucPicard47 Member

Does it have the WiFi's?

carmendiva likes this.
  22. jeremytanner

....and, now my wife's brother has picked up one. Spreading like a virus.

23. carmendiva

lol as much as i tried to talk him out of it, my friend's boyfriend fell in love with the screen...

and then an hour later he whines because he was trying to use the GPS and it failed miserably on him(i told him that too)

lol he likes it better then his ipod touch and it least it is better than his backflip, gps and signal issues included haha

24. sremick

Friend of mine just fell in-love with it watching my converted videos of Alice In Wonderland, and Up. She said it looked amazing and wouldn't set it down, even though she was right in my living room with my Blu-Ray player and 92" screen.

25. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member

Why do you guys care so much about phones that other people are using?