wipe AND recover!!

1. JSS12

JSS12 Well-Known Member

Hey all,

So I have read many threads over the past week about wiping the phone and trying to recover and restore everything. Many people recommend various ways of backing up and many different ways (I am guessing of different severity) of how, and in which order to wipe various components.

Can someone please type out (if one does not already exist), a step-by-step guide of...

1. Steps one should take BEFORE they wipe
      1. How exactly does one perform a correct backup (using TitaniumBackup, AppBrain, Nandroid, etc) - there are too many threads of people not being able to recover everything they thought they backed up
    2. Steps one should take to WIPE appropriately
      1. The exact step by step sequence of how to do an efficient wipe.
    3. Steps one should take to RECOVER everything back to the way things were before the wipe (or after flashing a new ROM)
      1. Step-by-step as to how to recover everything from the various backups
      2. Some people report that they can restore their phones in about 15 min, would love to know how to do it so quickly.

I think it will be really helpful to many people to have all of this information in one place.

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE

Advertisement
    :
  2. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

To perform a backup before a wipe:
    Boot into recovery
    Select Backup/Restore
    Create backup
    Wait

To Wipe
    Go back to the main menu in recovery
    Select Wipe Cache/Data
    Wait

To Recover
    Go back to the backup/restore menu
    Click Restore
    Choose the backup to restore (they are named by date)

It's not exactly the most complicated thing in the world to do, but I hope this helps. :)
  3. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

To backup your apps and settings to move from one ROM to another, just use Titanium Backup Donate (it's like $2, don't be stingy, lol)

Go to Batch -> Backup all user apps + data
    Then Backup all system data (Not recommended if switching ROM branches)

Then once you have flashed a new ROM, just install Titanium Backup, and go to batch -> Restore User Apps + Data.

Done!
  4. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ # Moderator

Hope this helps.
    dibs ODDJOB and JSS12 like this.
  5. iowabowtech

Another use for nandroid restore is if you end up liking your previous setup more than your new one. Since the nandroid is a carbon copy of the earlier setup, you can restore to it and then have basically no setup time required whatsoever. Depending on how long its been since you were last on it, you might want to restore missing apps via Titanium yet again though if new apps had been installed during your time away.
  6. JSS12

JSS12 Well-Known Member

thanks guys,

will probably take the plunge later this week
  7. turbomentor

turbomentor Well-Known Member

I have but one more question:

How do you preserve the setup of all your home screens? Or can you?
  8. iowabowtech

Easiest way is using a launcher such as Launcher Pro or similar because in that case you're restoring app data using Titanium. If not, you'd have to restore Sense settings (system data) which may be problematic in some instances.
  9. JSS12

JSS12 Well-Known Member

Anyone else have any tips?