• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wipe required before Nand Restore?

erisuser1

Android Expert
Nov 11, 2009
This morning, just before AF went down, someone asked the question:

"Do I need to perform a "Wipe ... data/factory reset" before I perform a Nandroid restore?"

(Sorry, I don't remember what user posted that question; and it looks like we lost about 1.5 days worth of postings)

In any event, the answer is "No."; the Nandroid restore operation (in the Amon_RA recovery) wipes all the relevant partitions before it begins the restore operation in each one. Doing a wipe won't hurt anything though.

eu1

Reactions: Galatia
eu1,

Thank you for posting a thread regarding this. Seen this question pop-up a few times and you've probably figured-out that there might be folks out there doing this without knowing that its not necessary.

I think it was cmotion that posed the question...perhaps he'll see this thread.

Hopefully they'll get the posts recovered / restored...it would suck if they didn't. Wish there was a status page on phandroid to let us know what is going on, etc.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
This morning, just before AF went down, someone asked the question:

"Do I need to perform a "Wipe ... data/factory reset" before I perform a Nandroid restore?"

(Sorry, I don't remember what user posted that question; and it looks like we lost about 1.5 days worth of postings)

In any event, the answer is "No."; the Nandroid restore operation (in the Amon_RA recovery) wipes all the relevant partitions before it begins the restore operation in each one. Doing a wipe won't hurt anything though.

eu1

Great point for reference, eu1. :)

Upvote 0
I'm actually still seeing squirrely behavior on the site (this thread was looping on loading adds when I clicked on Frisco's recent post flag)...also, phandroid.com proper itself is now down for maintenence.

Also, this was pretty funny: there were ads for this thread a little bit ago espousing the merits of data recovery services :eek: :D :) -- how funny is that!?

Upvote 0
Yeah, it was me who asked the question. Thanks eu1 and Scary for the responses. I did a wipe the first time, but haven't since. Good info to know. Wouldn't want to waste precious time wiping things when I could be exploring new Roms :)

Whoah! Hold on there!

Just to avoid any possible confusion, "no wipe required" applies ONLY to RESTORING Nandroid backups, not to flashing a new ROM!

In the case of flashing a ROM from a .zip file on the SD card, you (almost) ALWAYS need to perform a wipe.

eu1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones