Wipe- What is it

Last Updated:

1. Johnny Tsunami

Johnny Tsunami Member This Topic's Starter

I used search to check first and did not get an answer, and all i want is some clarification on if doing a wipe is a factory reset? please do not yell at me as i did do a search and didnt find what i needed.
    Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. alnova1

alnova1 Well-Known Member

I believe you are referring to when you are rooted and you want to install a new rom, you have to wipe data & cache which is basically like reformatting the phone like a hard drive for a computer for a fresh install. I'm sure there is someone else that can explain if im wrong but thats my definition of it..:D

3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

wipe = factory DATA reset. sometimes referred to as a "hard reset." If you're rooted, it should be done from the custom recovery. If you're not rooted, it can be done under Settings > SD & Phone storage > Factory data reset.

It's not a format. It wipes all user apps and data. Your android version will remain the same. The core ROM is still intact. So this is not a factory reset. it doesn't put your phone in the state it came in. In other words, if you've upgraded to 2.2, a factory data reset will not put you back at 2.1.

Johnny Tsunami likes this.
  4. alnova1

alnova1 Well-Known Member

Like I said someone much more informed could tell you better but I tried..:D

5. jimbob_texas

jimbob_texas Member

It's what you should do more often.

6. Ngo93

Ngo93 Well-Known Member

When flashing a new ROM do I need to wipe the cache, battery stats and rotate settings? Or is just wiping the data / factory reset good enough?

7. Johnny Tsunami

Johnny Tsunami Member This Topic's Starter

thanks all I wish I was rooted is it still possible to root with the easy root is there a mirror I can get it from any help would be great I waited to long to get it and don't really want to do the downgrade method

8. imtoomuch

imtoomuch Well-Known Member

Is that true? If so, why did my phone seem to download and reinstall 2.2 when I reset it?

Also, the Incredible has two reset options and I don't understand the difference.