• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wiping data before 2.2

Alright thanks guys. I figured that was a for sure, I just saw quite a few ppl that said they didnt in xda and wanted opinions in here from ppl I know. I've been using the "my backup root" but I think for a change this big I'm going to use tb because that seems to be what I've heard everyone using. Thanks again guys.

Upvote 0
Here's my experience:

I had Supah Clean + Stupid Fast Kernel.

I nandroided, wiped cache partition, and dalvik. I installed the Leaked Version of the DL30. No issues.

From there, I nandroided, wiped cache and dalvik, and then flashed Supah Clean Froyo. No issues, except for one: Periodically, my CPU goes to 100% usage, and the device gets hot, and starts gulping battery.

I not once wiped data. On each new flash, I lost my widgets, and had to replace them. On the DL30 leak, I lost ROM Manager (Had to reinstall for some reason, the APK was there).

So, your mileage may vary. I wanted to push to see what could be done, and how far you can push it. If you can tolerate losing your settings and whatnot, go for the complete wipe-then-install. It's the safest route.

But, if you couldn't stand losing any of that, you probably shouldn't be trying this at all :)

Upvote 0
Here's my experience:

I had Supah Clean + Stupid Fast Kernel.

I nandroided, wiped cache partition, and dalvik. I installed the Leaked Version of the DL30. No issues.

From there, I nandroided, wiped cache and dalvik, and then flashed Supah Clean Froyo. No issues, except for one: Periodically, my CPU goes to 100% usage, and the device gets hot, and starts gulping battery.

I not once wiped data. On each new flash, I lost my widgets, and had to replace them. On the DL30 leak, I lost ROM Manager (Had to reinstall for some reason, the APK was there).

So, your mileage may vary. I wanted to push to see what could be done, and how far you can push it. If you can tolerate losing your settings and whatnot, go for the complete wipe-then-install. It's the safest route.

But, if you couldn't stand losing any of that, you probably shouldn't be trying this at all :)

yeah data wipe is one of those things, that if you dont do it...you might get away with it...but realistically if you have an fc/problems you wont know for sure what caused them, and its likely they came from conflicts

Upvote 0
FWIW, I installed the first leak and then SuperClean 0.5 of the leak without wiping and didn't have any issues. I mainly wanted to try it out real quick, when Superclean 0.7 was released and it was stated that the e-mail FC issues was fixed, I wiped data and then installed.

When I done my wifes phone, I wiped straight off the bat but I went to SuperClean0.7 right off on hers and I knew she would be running that ROM for at least a week or two.

I'd do it just to be safe.

Upvote 0
yeah data wipe is one of those things, that if you dont do it...you might get away with it...but realistically if you have an fc/problems you wont know for sure what caused them, and its likely they came from conflicts

^^^
THIS

You may be able to get away with it, but you just never know. Like I said previously, I was purposefully pushing the envelope here.

Upvote 0
Agreed. Fixing permission sometimes might fix the odd FC here and there but when in doubt wipe data. If coming from 2.1 to 2.2 just make sure TiBu is your friend and once in 2.2 just make a good nandroid/backup. In fact depending how [can I say anal on this family friendly site] you are some people make backups with greater frequency than others, daily versus weekly.

Upvote 0
Agreed. Fixing permission sometimes might fix the odd FC here and there but when in doubt wipe data. If coming from 2.1 to 2.2 just make sure TiBu is your friend and once in 2.2 just make a good nandroid/backup. In fact depending how [can I say anal on this family friendly site] you are some people make backups with greater frequency than others, daily versus weekly.

yeah and i realize the point has been made, but for reminder sake: DONT RESTORE SYSTEM DATA IN TITANIUM WHEN COMING FROM 2.1 TO 2.2...your asking for trouble

Upvote 0
So, once on leaked DL30 kernel/ROM, its just a simple ROM flash to a different ROM (AOSP/SupahKlean, etc).... ???
Once on superclean you can flash the next superclean right over it. In that specific case data wiping is not required per se. Recommended by some but not strictly required. However, aosp is a different animal. If you are on superclean or aosp and want to switch to the other data wiping then in that case is mandatory

Upvote 0
Once on superclean you can flash the next superclean right over it. In that specific case data wiping is not required per se. Recommended by some but not strictly required. However, aosp is a different animal. If you are on superclean or aosp and want to switch to the other data wiping then in that case is mandatory

Good catch...I missed the aosp. Mention there....I should be more careful skimming forums on my phone

Upvote 0
Good catch...I missed the aosp. Mention there....I should be more careful skimming forums on my phone
logo-bw.gif

You on the website or the app
I dont even have the app installed anymore shhhhh

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones