Wired Mono Headset with Boom Mic SolutionAccessories

Last Updated:

1. darwin1859

darwin1859 Member This Topic's Starter

I don't know if anyone else was looking for a wired mono headset with a boom mic that works with the Evo, but I sure was. I prefer these headsets for driving because the call clarity is much better for the person I am calling and I heard it is illegal to drive with headphones on in my state. However, I could find no mono headsets with a boom mike and a 3.5 mm tip for use with my splendid new phone. After much experimentation with my favorite old wired headsets (various plantronics models with 2.5mm tips) and some 2.5 to 3.5 mm adapters, I found a combination that works.

You need:
    a 4-contact 2.5 mm female to 3.5 mm male adapter (like this)
    a 3-contact 2.5 mm mono headset (no button, button)

This works with 2 models linked above. One of the models has a control button and a mute switch, both of which work with this setup.

Strangely, a 4-contact headset and 4 contact adapter is recognized as well, but the sound from the headset earpiece is extremely low.

Bonus hack: You can improve the sound of almost any earbud (the foam covered disc-shaped jobbies, not the type that fit in your ear canal) by slipping one of those funky jabra ear-gels over the bud. It blocks external sound and seems to channel the speaker output straight to your brain.:D

Advertisement
  2. Stepintothedark

Stepintothedark Well-Known Member

I always used my old XBox headset with that 2.5-3.5 adapter.. lol looked a lil geeky but it worked great..

Terry1100 likes this.