wired or wireless fm transmitter/ modulatorSupport

1. stitchbass

stitchbass Member

So Im going on some trips in july and august, the first is a 5 hr drive the second is 8 hrs so im looking in to getting a transmitter of some kind so i can use my htc evo v to listen to music, i dont have an aux input its the stock radio (2000 ford windstar van)
    i'm looking at

Amazon.com: GOgroove SMARTmini BT ADVANCED Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control and Hands-Free Calling for ANDROID, iPhone, Blackberry and Windows Smartphones: Electronics

or this

Amazon.com: Audiovox FM100A FM Modulator with IST2 Isolation Transformer (Grey): Electronics

also im open to suggestions :D thx guys

Advertisement
  2. stitchbass

stitchbass Member

3. Leslie Ann

Leslie Ann Well-Known Member Developer

I'm kind of curious about bluetooth vs wired as well in terms of battery.

I will say this though.. FM transmitters are TERRIBLE.
    For the price of what you are looking at, you could get a new stereo for the van which would have an Aux or bluetooth input and will work 10 times better. If you have a cassette adapter you can use that, but the fm transmitters have always been bad it seems.

Just one example.
    $49 Sony with aux. (NEW)
    Amazon.com: Sony CDXGT240 MP3/WMA Player CD Receiver (Black): Electronics
  4. ziddey

ziddey Well-Known Member

Ahh, that Sony is a classic. It's gone through so many facelifts but it's still the same. Gotten a bit cheaper too, although it looks like that $49 one has $12 or so of shipping. Still a decent deal. I'm imagining the Windstar doesn't make use of any external amplifiers that would make rigging it up more difficult. I'm guessing the Windstar has a double din radio? I guess you'd need to add the cost of a double din caddy, and hopefully a harness. Still, it'd be a good investment.

Otherwise, you have a tape deck? You could always get a tape passthrough for $10-20 and call it a day. Not sure what's a good one to get.
  5. stitchbass

stitchbass Member

well the van isnt mine it s the gfs moms, and it does have a tape deck but it doesnt work and i wanna keep the van stock radio im leaning towards the wired fm modulator cuz its universal meaning i can add it to any car i want
  6. Admack

Admack Well-Known Member

stitchbass likes this.
  7. KryptoNyte

KryptoNyte Well-Known Member

You know, any wireless transmission device that's sold on Amazon, has more than 10 reviews, and NOT A SINGLE review below four stars, is probably going to be a remarkably solid device.

The only thing about the device linked to in the original post (GoGroove) that I've never liked is the hard mounting of the device to the cig lighter adapter. Too many of my vehicles just don't have enough room to tolerate that.
  8. stitchbass

stitchbass Member

i got an idea maybe i could tap in to the signal wires from the tape deck ill have to take a look at it tomorrow thx guys
  9. cb35

cb35 Member

FWIW check crutchfield I got a dual brand deck with install kit for under a 100. Has Bluetooth for audio and hands free calling and hd radio plus usb. Audio steaming is great
  10. stitchbass

stitchbass Member

so i looked at the stock radio and it has the ability to have a cd changer hooked up to it so im looking at getting a aux adaptor but im gonna pull the deck out tomorrow and look for the plug in thx again guys
  11. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

The deck not working is probably transport related, so using a cassette converter should still work. It just needs to make contact with the heads.
  12. trippin

trippin Well-Known Member

You can get a cheap one from wal-mart for about $20 (fm transmitter), like everyone else said, the fm transmitters suck, you're always going to have static on em, but unless you're listening to soft music you probably won't notice it that much, and you can always turn the treble on the car radio down a tad to dull the static out.

I had one and finally gave in and bought a $120 Pioneer with HD radio, though the HD radio is really a gimmick, it gives slightly better sound to the current stations, but all those "extra" channels they advertise really aren't there. The past two cities I lived in there were only two HD2 stations that weren't talk radio.

Sorry for the slightly off topic there :p
  13. Faydes

Faydes Well-Known Member

I got an FM transmitter for 15$ from microcenter, just got it for when i hopped in friends cars to mess with them and play random sounds through my phone whenever they stick all 6'1" of me in the back seat so their 4'9" gf can sit up front.