wired tether app questionSupport

Last Updated:

1. adz63

adz63 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just found this on my phone. What is it, is it to use my phones. Data allowance on a pc or laptop.. something like a dongle for mobile broadband.

Do I just connect usb to phone and com press start and then it uses my 1gb off my phone data?

Please explain

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Your phone will use it's mobile data connection to let your PC connect to the internet. So yeah, just like a dongle for mobile broadband.

I've used it once, it wasn't very demanding on my data allowance. (But then my signal was so poor I was hardly downloading at all anyway :p).

You can do this normally on a hero (with normal firmware) with HTC Sync. Wireless tethering, where the phone creates a wifi hotspot, has been around for a while too.

3. adz63

adz63 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Cheers boss. I tried finding it on the market but can't find it. Is it right that some companies don't allow tethering, I saw that on a wireless tether app on the market?

4. peterc10

peterc10 Well-Known Member

You do not need anything from the market for tethering. It comes as standard on the phone, except in the case of phones supplied by some US air time suppliers. So you are OK in the UK

Depends on what version of Android you have as to how to start your tethering session. With Android 1.5 you need to first connect your computer to the phone using the USB cable, then go to the home screen and menu > settings > wireless control and check Mobile Network Sharing box. With 2.1 it is much easier because it is offered as an option whenever you connect the phone and PC.

I found it so easy that I cancelled by Vodaphone dongle as soon as I was out of contract and just use my Orange Hero. It is actually quicker to get connected than the dongle and the download speeds seem just as quick

Edit: just notice you are using Froyo 2.2. Not sure in that case if what I have said will work because it refers to stock ROMS with SenseUI