Wired Tether Help For Droid

Last Updated:

1. ne0lyfeism

ne0lyfeism Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Running Fab's NexTheme ROM that has Wired and Wireless Tether. Problem is Wired Tether doesn't work for me. The program runs without a problem, but my laptop that is connected to the Droid via USB cable doesn't access the internet.

Drivers and what not are all updated - just curious to know what the problem is. Funny thing is that when connected via USB normally, my laptop recognizes my Droid with no problem. It's only when I run the Wired Tether program that all of a sudden my laptop no longer recognizes my phone and, as a result, won't access the internet.

Any help would be much appreciated. If you need more information / specifics, let me know and I'll provide what I can.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

What operating system are you using?

It needs to support RNDIS. I'm pretty sure all Windows XP and up support it though..

3. ne0lyfeism

Fab, my laptop is running Windows XP SP2...

4. ne0lyfeism

Did some searching and I wonder if I need to download another app to get tethering to work? Part of me thinks that the Wired Tether app from Fab's ROM should work without any other apps, but would downloading something like PDANet help?

Really want to use this tethering ability if I can...

5. ne0lyfeism

Update.. Wireless Tethering doesn't work either. To make things even more bizarre, the dang phone now restarts when using the Wireless Tether.. =\

6. Fabolous

Thats really strange. You shouldn't need any other apps for tethering, they're all included in the ROM. The only option I can think of now is a reinstall, unfortunately.

Oh, you are still using the P3Droid kernel, right?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

7. ne0lyfeism

Yeah Fab, I'm using all of the default settings that came with your ROM, including the P3 kernel.. I'm just as confused as you about this, haha..

So when you say reinstall, you mean going into Recovery and applying the update.zip again for your ROM?

8. Fabolous

Well, it'd probably be better to do a clean install. That would mean wiping data, cache, system, and boot partitions, then doing the update.zip install.

9. ne0lyfeism

Ok fab, i'll try it and let you know if it fixes the tethering problem.

10. ne0lyfeism

So I did a fresh install. Tried to use the Wired Tether application on my laptop, but it's prompting me to go through the "Add New Hardware" wizard crap when my Droid is already recognized by my laptop... this is definitely frustrating.. 0_o

11. Fabolous

What happens when you go through the wizard? I haven't used xp in years, so I don't know how well it works with rndis. It may require a driver to be installed (in addition to the Droid drivers)

Anyone successfully using wired tethering on xp wanna chime in?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

12. ne0lyfeism

What happens is that the "Add New Hardware" wizard starts, and right in the screen it says Motorola A855 - so to me, that means my laptop recognizes my Droid. I also had installed the updated USB drivers from Motorola way back when I was going to force the 2.1 OTA, so I don't think I need any new USB drivers. I try to let the wizard find the right drivers (both auto and manual), but it always says it couldn't find anything and then quits. I've even gone so far as point it to the folders created by Motorola USB drivers, thinking that it would surely find something in there, but to no avail.

Besides the tethering, this ROM has been awesome - super fast and running nice and cool processor wise. If I can get the tethering to work, it would be icing on the cake!

13. tsaunders

tsaunders Well-Known Member

Not sure if this will help but SP3 has been out for some time for XP.

I just tried this on Window 7 and I can use the Connected Tether just fine. It had to download a driver and did this via Windows Update.

14. ne0lyfeism

UPDATE: Tested it on a buddy's laptop running Vista and Wired Tether worked like a charm. So I now know that my laptop is the culprit... :)

15. bkd11

bkd11 New Member

16. s1ckGhost

s1ckGhost Well-Known Member

I've got to be honest and say I had never used Wireless or Wired on CM Roms or Fabs Roms.. But, Barnacles (app, free, root, wireless tether) works on my Windows XP.. so if all else fails, try that, OR Easy Tether (app, free, non-root, wired tether) both work great on Windows XP

Note* i dont know the deal with Easy Tether at the moment for I havent used any tethering in a while cause I havent needed to, but last that I used my 'trial' had expired, but I was still able to use it the next day and the next for about a week.