Wired/Wireless in the home, help needed...

Last Updated:

1. Spencer4

Spencer4 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

First post and a little left-field perhaps. Having bought a new smart phone I'd like to have a wireless router in the house so that I can use the wi-fi with the phone.

At present I have an old 4-port wired router and have wires stretching through many rooms connecting various computers. I'd really like to keep the wired set-up as the main hassle has already been navigated.

Can someone recommend a fairly simple solution, a router that can still give me the wired connections to the 3 computers I'm using at present, but that can also allow me to use my phone and lap-tops wirelessly at the same time?

Hopefully not too expensive, or complicated to set up as I'm a bit of a techno-dinosaur. UK based btw.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. hitmark

hitmark Member

you need a wireless router(that you may have already). some wireless USBs.

3. SoulTerror

SoulTerror Well-Known Member

Most routers are both wireless and wire. I know my Linksys is. I have 3 wires coming off it, one to another room in the house for my game systems, and 2 at my desk. 1 for my laptop, other for computers I work on. Then we have wireless for my wifes laptop and when I go out of my computer room with mine.

4. graeme73

graeme73 New Member

hi all i need some help myself here....droid incredible and laptop how to wifi tether? please help,,,,,,,step by step not very good here

5. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Well-Known Member

I personally still use a Linksys WRT54GL with tomato.
    It's a B/G router and should work with your phone and laptop as well as maintain your wired computers - it has a built-in 4 port switch.

I bet they are cheap now as well... and tomato extends it's capabilities.

6. Hangdog42

Hangdog42 Well-Known Member

+1 to the WRT54GL and Tomato combo. I've been using that combination of router and software for a few years and I highly recommend it. Granted, it doesn't do N speeds, but unless you're streaming video, you probably won't need N speed. G is good for general web-use, audio streaming and gaming (unless you are a hard-core gamer, in which case you shouldn't be using wireless at all).

7. monsterenergy22

monsterenergy22 Well-Known Member