Wirefly review is up on the Vibrant

Last Updated:

1. tedrd88

tedrd88 Member This Topic's Starter

Now it may not be the most critical review ever (since they are selling it...) it's the longest demo I've seen with the actual Vibrant variant.

YouTube - Samsung Vibrant Review (T-Mobile)

I'm very excited about it. Probably going to get it on the one year contract. I really was enticed by waiting for the HSPA+ devices but I hate physical keyboards that slide out (if I'm gonna have a keyboard I want it to be blackberryesque) so that eliminates the vision. The "Emerald" sounds like an evo wannabe at 4.3 inches and that's just too big for my liking. The Vibrant at 4 inches is just right. Also both of those devices appear to be HTC's using snapdraggon. The hummingbird runs circles around the 1ghz snapdragon... and I am not convinced at all that a dual core processor will be able to make it through a norma day of use.

I also don't care at all about the FFC or flash... FFC will almost absolutely require WIFI (ala iPhone 4) and if I am going to be somewhere with wifi, I'll have my laptop which has a much better camera than the FFCs currently on phones. And as for LED flash... I have a real camera, haha.

Also not really sold on the necessity of the ridiculous HSPA+ speeds. If Tmo's claims are true it will be faster than my home cable internet connection... I'm just stoked to finally move up to 3g!

SO here's to picking this up on Thursday!

Advertisement
    damewolf13 likes this.
  2. aci78

aci78 Well-Known Member

Good move on the Vibrant pick. BTW, I don't think T-Mo is doing a one year contract anymore. Could be wrong, that's just what I've been reading.

3. landale

landale Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that noticed the lag as he was changing between the home screens? My guess is they are related to the Samsung widgets but still not something I expected to see on such a high end device.

4. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member

Yeah I noticed that as well. I didn't see the same lag on other videos though, so I'm not sure. I'll be playing with it before I make a final decision, so I'll let you know on Thursday what I find out... unless of course you are planning on doing the same. ;)

5. jree

jree Well-Known Member

one thing that I am worried about when it comes to landscape text mode does the home buttons and stuff like that get in the way of your right hand and how big is the actual touch keyboards. Are they iphone style or what cause I was pretty good at using the iphone to text and I got pretty spoiled with the physical keyboard of the cliq.

6. spiz

spiz Well-Known Member

I personally find Swype easier with portrait mode. The more compact, the easier in my opinion. In regards to your question though, I suppose we'll have to find out once it's released. I imagine it shouldn't be much of a problem. Just like anything else, we'll get used to it.

7. HtcEvoLemon

HtcEvoLemon Well-Known Member

nevermind

8. HtcEvoLemon

HtcEvoLemon Well-Known Member

go back to the main thread, look at the videos I posted, a new firmware should fix the problem.

9. landale

landale Well-Known Member

Those videos are for the international Galaxy S which was released over a month ago. You'd think if they knew there was an issue like this they would have had it resolved before launching on T-Mobile and AT&T this week.

10. ricardo001

ricardo001 Active Member

I too noticed some lags that didn't appear on other videos of the Galaxy S. The menu scrolling was jittery and not smooth like I've seen before. I'm coming from an iphone device so I got really excited when I saw that the GS scrolled and zoomed just like the iphone. I'm also going to try the Vibrant before I make the purchase, but this recent video does concern me.

11. chaoscentral

chaoscentral Well-Known Member

It has to do with that buddy's now widget. that is a huge resource hog. Similar to the way the European Hero was sooooooo laggy on the homescreen when the flip clock actually flipped, it was fixed when HTC decided to remove the flip animation.

So temporary solution until a patch is released would be Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher, both of which will remove the god awful touchwiz anyways ;)

EDIT: Or just don't use the samsung widgets lol

12. jree

jree Well-Known Member

Yeah i'm gonna have to see what this swype this is all about. I don't know how long it will take for me to get used to it but we'll see. Thanks for the answer

13. chaoscentral

chaoscentral Well-Known Member

Ok, so I just got back from my T-Mobile store and they just got their demo unit in. I'm not sure whats up with the wirefly video, but the lag was nowhere near that bad on the one I got to play with. There was very little stutter and almost everything was smooth even with touchwiz live wallpaper and samsung widgets.

Now I'm gonna go off on a limb and say whoever did that review was definately not using any kind of task manager.

Got my name first on the reserve list at my store and will definately be picking this up on Thursday morning.

P.S. definately was impressed by how thin the device was and how (forgive the pun) vibrant the screen was