• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wireless charging sound

I agree. I hate the sound, and if I put the phone on the charging station when my partner is asleep, a big noise happens. Even if I have the volume off, it seems -- though again, I have no idea which of the several volume controls affects this annoying sound.

But most importantly: how is that sound controlled? All other notifications have settings (including selecting a sound and silencing entirely) except for this one. Very annoying.

Upvote 0
I agree. I hate the sound, and if I put the phone on the charging station when my partner is asleep, a big noise happens. Even if I have the volume off, it seems -- though again, I have no idea which of the several volume controls affects this annoying sound.

But most importantly: how is that sound controlled? All other notifications have settings (including selecting a sound and silencing entirely) except for this one. Very annoying.

It's in the app, and there is no setting to silenced it at this time. Perhaps that will change with the KitKat update?

If it were me, I'd just plug in overnight rather than using a wireless charger if you are concerned about the noise.

Upvote 0
Even if I have the volume off, it seems -- though again, I have no idea which of the several volume controls affects this annoying sound.

I don;t have the charger so i can't test it.

Does it happen if in Silent Mode? Hit the power button and select the bottom-left icon.

If that stops it then you can manually set it or perhaps have Tasker set it.

... Thom

Upvote 0
I don;t have the charger so i can't test it.

Does it happen if in Silent Mode? Hit the power button and select the bottom-left icon.

If that stops it then you can manually set it or perhaps have Tasker set it.

... Thom

Yes, well it does int he Motorola assist sleep mode.. which I have found does not always reset to normal like it should when on the wireless charger.

Upvote 0
Sorry ... I did not follow that ... if you put it in Silent Mode using the Power and menu method and then place it on the charger do you get the offensive sound?

... Thom

Yes, Sorry if I was not clear.. I have Motorola Assist set for Silences from 11pm to 6am..

If I place my phone on my Qi Charger after 11pm when Silence is active I get the noise.

I also found that some times, it will 'connect' for charging twice within 30 seconds or less, when this occurs I find that in the morning after 6AM Assist does not reset the phone to normal volume, but that is another issue for another thread

Reactions: drkrishall
Upvote 0
I realize how odd it appears but ...

I have been looking at settings with and without Tasker over the weekend and an example of what I found was ...

Switching Display Timeout times between 1 min and 10 min it would always do the time I set but the time reported in settings was frequently not the time I set.

The volume settings were at times a little "weird".

Silent Mode always seemed to work ... so ... can you hit power button and then select he silent icon and then put it on the charger? Did you still get the sound?

Thanks.

... Thom

Upvote 0
It's pretty well reported that wireless charging cannot be silenced without root since the 12.15.15 ota. By the way, I've also seen that people reporting problems with assist silent mode not returning volume to normal at the end of sleep time seem to all be wireless chargers overnight. If they initiate qi charging after sleep time has started the volume will not return.

At this point I'd suggest that qi charging is great for topping up the phone but just plug it in overnight while you sleep. It seems to be too much a hassle to charge that way while you are trying to sleep.

Reactions: Thom and drkrishall
Upvote 0
It's pretty well reported that wireless charging cannot be silenced without root since the 12.15.15 ota.

Lots of reports that it doesn't work. I don't see where anyone tried the 5 second test that I was hoping someone with a charger will try. Hit a button, select a menu item, put it in the charger , and then tell me it doesn't help.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Lots of reports that it doesn't work. I don't see where anyone tried the 5 second test that I was hoping someone with a charger will try. Hit a button, select a menu item, put it in the charger , and then tell me it doesn't help.

I undetstand you. I've seen reports about this on other forums - Motorola's support forum, android central, xda-developers. That's what I meant by well-reported. Wireless charge does not recognize silence settings since the OTA.

I think it's all been tried. The only solution I saw that worked was to change (I think) a framework file, which is why it requires root.

(Not a framework file, but a system apk file. See http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=47425094 )

Reactions: SNeitzel
Upvote 0
I understand that it might not work. What I saw this weekend was false reporting of of other information in system settings and correct reporting of Silent Mode.

This is only a test.

... Thom

Thom, not sure if you ever got an answer on this but I have the Droid Maxx running Kit Kat and your suggestion worked to mute the Qi charging sound Press power button, silence phone, place on charging pad... No more sound

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones